Novella-A Liquid Earth CD

Trainwreck schematics, designs, pictures. Only members may post files here.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

HeeBGB
Site Admin

Novella-A Liquid Earth CD

Post by HeeBGB »

OK guys. Every once in a while someone asks for clips of Trainwrecks. A while back doctord02 posted this description of a CD in which a Rocket and an Express were used. I picked up the CD and have had it for a while. I posted one or two clips from it but they are long gone (cleared by the hosting service i had them on). I misplaced the CD but came accross it today. I am posting here for your enjoyment. Novella was, I believe, a christian rock band. I like the CD very much. I don't believe it is in print at this time and i will leave it up unless there are objections.

The following is the description posted on this board by doctord02 back in January of 2006.

Hey Guys - this is the album that KF made me a copy of about two years ago. Song number one is a Rocket and Ken's personal telecaster w/ Lindy Fralin PU's... "The rest of the album is a stock '80's ESP strat and a stock '80's Gibson Les Paul. No boost, distortion or any boxes or effects are used anywhere. Guitar straight into amp, 4x12 pre Rola 30's. " Ken continued, later, "an Express and a Liverpool make up the bulk of the record except for song 1 and 10." "Song 10 has a Plexi 50 blended in on some of the rhythm work."

I take this to mean that track one is the only one that features the Rocket.

Anyhow, now I know the actual name of the album; Ken didnt identify who it was, just saying it was an obscure Christian rock band and it was out of print.
It's a pretty cool sounding record, if you can get into Christian heavy metal you'd dig the guitar sounds a lot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HeeBGB on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Re: Novella-A Liquid Earth CD

Post by HeeBGB »

Here are some more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Last three

The order of songs on the CD is as follows:

Story
Bad Place
Don't You Run
Fire In The House
Heaven's On my Mind
Let's Talk About Love
Right In The Middle
Colour Of Love
Missionary
Stranger
thousandshirts

Post by thousandshirts »

Wow -- many thanks for getting this together to all who were involved -- going into play rotation presently. Great to hear a Wreck in any setting IMO. Muchas gracias!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

HeeBGB,

Thanks a lot for posting these tracks and the supporting information! I'm really interested in building an Express but appreciate getting to hear other examples of KF's amps. I haven't worked my way through all of them yet, but was inspired to comment. On In the House, the intro arpeggiated chord is really great. The tone there is wonderfully warm and sparkly (It's got kind of a Def Leppard vibe to it). To me, the chorus/rhythm part sounds similar to a Komet Concorde in gradual mode. Very fat. I love how you can hear the speakers load up and give off that tight whoosh sound as they exhale on the low, palm muted chords. I wonder which amp(s) were used on that track?? Rocket?

Glen Kuykendall gets that same thing when he hits the open E or palm mutes a big F chord using his Express.
Last edited by Colossal on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Hello Guys,

For those interested in the Novella story I have started a thread with stories given to me for the purpose of sharing them with you, from Derek Ferwerda, lead guitar player in the Novella band.

Fascinating stories that give light to the deep roots of the Trainwreck story and the person of Ken Fischer.

rj

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6840
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
camden_guitarist

Trainwrecks on Novella CD

Post by camden_guitarist »

Hey guys,

Good stuff, I love the licks and riffs on this CD a lot even if it's not usually my musical preference. Way to go to have dug this up from the past.

Cheers,

Camden Guitarist. (www.camdenmusic.net)
RJ Guitars

Amp Selection info - Derek Ferwerda - Liquid Earth Recording

Post by RJ Guitars »

AGF - here is the breakdown of info that Derek Ferwerda provided to me on the Liquid Earth CD recordings. I received his blessing to share this with you. rj

From Derek:

The Novella “A liquid Earth” recordings is evidence that no matter how much crap, effects and EQ you do to a Trainwreck, it will still sound great. No additional effects were used from me on the amp or the guitar. I only used Dean Skalar’s strings, which were a hand wrapped nickel silver string, much like the vintage strings of the 50’s. The amps used were. A Rocket (Amanda) an Express (Kelly) and a Liverpool (Nicolle) and on the last track “Stranger; Jonathan played an additional amp. It was a 1968 Hiwatt that Ken had modded out in 1990

Track 1.) Story; Rocket- ESP 1982 Telecaster- Skylar 11 gauge strings nickel-silver wraped.

Track 2.) Bad Place; Rocket on Rhythm, Express on leads Gibson 1960 re-issue Les Paul with hand wired pickups from Lindy Fralin.

Tarck 3.) ‘Don’t you run; Rocket Rhythm and an express for leads. Les Paul 1960

Track 4.) Fire in the house. Same as above.

Track 6.) ‘Let’s talk about Love; Rocket- Les Paul

Track 8.) “color of Love Liverpool 1960 Les Paul and a re-issue Les Paul from 1988. Standard pickups

Track 9.) “Missionary” Liverpool 1960 Les Paul (re-issue)

Track 10.) Jonathan Played all of these tracks. Liverpool and a Hiwatt off of his 1988 re-issue Les Paul.

As all recordings were then. There was tons of EQ, compression, reverb and B.S. It is Liquid Earth, despite the ever-present use of Trainwreck”s really don’t showcase the amp. But here is the info. I hope that this helps.

Plinky AKA Ray Giglio was the producer for the Novella records. Both One Big Sky and A liquid Earth. He did a great job especially for the day.

Derek
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Big Jim

Post by Big Jim »

thousandshirts wrote:Wow -- many thanks for getting this together to all who were involved -- going into play rotation presently. Great to hear a Wreck in any setting IMO. Muchas gracias!
Hi Will, a rare appearance here on the garage :lol: I recently loaned some amps to a local studio. They were working on a CD to promote the music program at a local University. The track was kind of a heavy prog rock kind of thing. The guitarist plugged in to the Express and never looked back. They are working on the final mix down, but when it's finished, I will try to covert it over and post it here. It was recorded with pro tools and I'm not sure what post production effects were used but I'll find out. Will, I thought I would throw this out here since you were the one that talked me in to building that amp!
Jim :D