Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

erwin_ve

Re: oooooooo

Post by erwin_ve »

LPSGME wrote:
Max wrote:
Tag wrote: For that horn like attack, just use a Dumblator and squash the signal. When I want that sound, thats what I use, but I have found that I prefer the much more open tone you get without the Dumblator. The TwoRock Emerald Pro is the master of that horn like squash. Super slow attack and LOOONG note bloom.
Interesting.

May be you posted it before and I missed it:

What kind of Dumblelator do you use and what kind of cables to connect it?

Cheers
Max
There's an interesting clip comparing a Dumbleator and Klienulator (a FET version) on the Ceriatone forum;
http://ceriatoneforum.com/index.php?topic=1163.0

I think the Klienulator was home made and unmodded. However someone else suggested some mods that they said made it sound much closer. But I didn't find any clips that demoed those mods.

While the Dumbleator sounds better by far, IMHO, the difference might be much lessened with some EQ and extra volume.
I posted the comparison; I would do it a different way now. My amp's been modded and the settings for my dumblelator are different now.
This is what it sounds like right now with dumblelator: http://www.e-noize.nl/goodies/Favourite ... plifex.mp3

Most important the feel between the Dumblelator and Kleinulator. IMO the Dumblelator does feel a lot nicer and does make the sound smooth.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Tag wrote:
Funkalicousgroove wrote:So in comparing this:
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1

to the uploaded clip

I am not hearing where the clone lacks in lower mids, or where the shift is in the wrong place. I do however clearly hear the EL34 flavor of the #183 tone, El34's lack that dip in the mids that 6l6's have, and To my ears EL34's tend to have a "Grit" to the Top end vs the Chime of a 6l6. That being said, #183 is WONDERFUL sounding amp and I'd love to see her naughty bits!

Her naughty bits. LOL! You are a dirty old man Brandon!

To be honest, I cant tell much in your clip. The top is totally rolled off and it sounds like the mic is off axis. Mines dead center. Your clip sounds a lot like the TwoRock E.Pro, which is cool, because I love that amp! You guys use to bash me for it being so dark, and now YOU are doing it! Damn kids these days! :lol:
Same amp, no loop, through Heritage G-12H 30's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Funkalicousgroove

As a comparison, Here is the same guitar, cab, mic, etc but this time the amp is a high voltage EL34 Skyline-

As always nevermind the clams....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Hmmm, I expected the 34's to be a bit more raw or aggressive.
Almost sounded more compressed and smoother than the previous clip.
I liked that tone a lot!

Is the high plate classic 6L6?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Funkalicousgroove

Yeah the classic is a 6l6. I find the EL34's to not have the top end extension of the 6l6 and a bit more "grit" I don't necessarily find them more agressive though. The big difference is in the low end, the 6l6 is a gorilla and the El34 is a spider monkey. I find that El34 Skylines with Standard overdrive can be made so syrupy smooth there's almost no initial attack.
Tag

Post by Tag »

hhhh
Last edited by Tag on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tag

Post by Tag »

lllll
Structo

Post by Structo »

Not too many (zero?) of us have the luxury of the real deal Tag.
That's why we build the clones! :lol:
Tom

makrisp

Post by makrisp »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:As a comparison, Here is the same guitar, cab, mic, etc but this time the amp is a high voltage EL34 Skyline-

As always nevermind the clams....
Brandon,

Great playing and tone!

Could you elaborate on the recording setup?
PM
Tag

Post by Tag »

hhhhhhhhh
Funkalicousgroove

Send me yours, I'll clone it and YOU can do the clips! :D
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

+1 for that....lets a/b/c the clone bill's making for you, a bludo, and the real deal...tag plays
Structo

Post by Structo »

In the end, does it really matter?

To go to all that trouble for the last 5-10% of tone?

Well of course it does! :lol: We are gear heads, no?

There will always be an exceptional amp where all the right parts came together just right to make it a tone monster.
A lucky accident where all the tolerances seemed to align to make a beautiful thing.

I guess, I didn't get too lucky with mine.
I probably could have built two scratch builds for the money I have thrown away chasing that sound....(j/k)
Tom

Guitarman18

Post by Guitarman18 »

Structo wrote;
I probably could have built two scratch builds for the money I have thrown away chasing that sound....(
Damn right! I could have probably bought 2 Bludos and saved money on the amount I've spent. :roll:

As I'm here in the UK and not seen a real deal Dumble on stage in this country, let alone looked inside one, it just occurred to me that, as the season of good will is fast approaching, Tag could send his ODS to each member of the forum who would then have a competition to see who could make the best clone. And yes, if you insist Tag, you could be the judge. :)

Cheers,

Paul.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Me! Pick me! Pick me! :lol:

Well, I've sort of come to the conclusion that I am not going to get "the" D tone on my 2 x 6L6 amp.

I've probably used a pound of solder on this thing and tried everything I can think of.
Heck, I even thought about adding another two 6L6's but then I'd have to buy a new OT. I think my PT might be up to it.
I've tried every value mentioned on the schematics to no avail.... :?

But, what I do have is a very decent 50 watter with a good overdrive so not all is lost.
Tom