OD section Robben Ford Dumble

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

mlp-mx6

Re: OD section Robben Ford Dumble

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Tag wrote: No one really knows about those middle years, which IMO, are his best tones.
Boy, I *totally* agree with that. RF&TBL was the tone that MADE me want to pursue Dumble tone. RF&TBL thru "Handful of Blues" is just the best tone to my ears.

"Jing Chi" and "Jing Chi Live" are also excellent.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
talbany

Post by talbany »

I thought I read a post here about Robben using a 700v MM high plate amp for some of his sessions on Handful.. specific to the tone on Rugged Road...Don't know if that's true....This is the tone that caught my ear!!...

Jing Chi Live stuff is KILLER!!
Tony
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Yeah, Around 90/91 a friend of mine ordered an ODS from Dumble as "the robben ford thing" and what he got was a Skyline with standard overdrive and Music Man IRon. That amp NAILS Rugged road.

When I stuck my head in back of the black amp it had what looked to be Twin trannies, Robben also said he had just gotten it back from dumble, he had it made to be "The same" as the tan one.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Fascinating. So the MM iron and the Twin iron can be made to sound similar enough that Robben and Dumble both say they're "the same"?
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
Funkalicousgroove

When I saw the 2 amps at the same time they both had chokes, both had Twin Iron(output). I've since had a chance to spend some 1 on 1 time with the tan amp.

The Music Man Iron has a different response, it is a tad darker, and the low end is tighter, it doesn't seem to have the "Woof"
stiltamp

Post by stiltamp »

Thanks to all

What are for you the best sounding parts value combination for the overdrive section of the Non HRM.

Cheers
Manfred
talbany

Post by talbany »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:Yeah, Around 90/91 a friend of mine ordered an ODS from Dumble as "the robben ford thing" and what he got was a Skyline with standard overdrive and Music Man IRon. That amp NAILS Rugged road.

When I stuck my head in back of the black amp it had what looked to be Twin trannies, Robben also said he had just gotten it back from dumble, he had it made to be "The same" as the tan one.
Funk... Thanks for the responce!!

My Personal amp has MM 200-130 w/ Super Twin OPT.High plate Skyline Svtek 5881's comes pretty close to the Rugged Road tone..It's the only one I've built...It's kind of woofie but I only have 100uf on the plates...

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkalicousgroove

You should be running that at 8 ohms to get the primary right, The Twin OT probably helps substantially with the "woof"

That being said the Music Man setup sounds most like Rugged Road to me- My buddy's amp had 4 x 220 uf filter caps on the first stage
talbany

Post by talbany »

You should be running that at 8 ohms to get the primary right
Cool!! Diggin good used Fender Iron!!

T
Funkalicousgroove

It really is amazing how much seasoned iron changes the feel of an amp
Pete

Post by Pete »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:It really is amazing how much seasoned iron changes the feel of an amp
I wonder if that has anything to do with why it took so long to build/get one from the man.
Tag

Post by Tag »

Pete wrote:
Funkalicousgroove wrote:It really is amazing how much seasoned iron changes the feel of an amp
I wonder if that has anything to do with why it took so long to build/get one from the man.
I bought mind through Buzzy who sold it for the original owner. The guy said he ordered it in 84, never heard a word for 2 years, and called to ask about it. He was told if he ever called again, he would never see the amp! Then, in 89, all of a sudden out of the clear blue sky he gets a call saying his amp was ready for pick up!! He said he though he was never going to see it.
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Tag wrote:
Pete wrote:
I bought mind through Buzzy who sold it for the original owner. The guy said he ordered it in 84, never heard a word for 2 years, and called to ask about it. He was told if he ever called again, he would never see the amp! Then, in 89, all of a sudden out of the clear blue sky he gets a call saying his amp was ready for pick up!! He said he though he was never going to see it.
Maybe, God ol' Mr. Dumble was waiting for the iron to get seasoned :wink:
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

Tag wrote: I bought mind through Buzzy who sold it for the original owner. The guy said he ordered it in 84, never heard a word for 2 years, and called to ask about it. He was told if he ever called again, he would never see the amp! Then, in 89, all of a sudden out of the clear blue sky he gets a call saying his amp was ready for pick up!! He said he though he was never going to see it.
So his amp doubled in value while it was being made? :shock:
Structo

Post by Structo »

Ya see, that is just so weird why some people think they can get away with treating others badly.
Sure he built a great amp but it's like you have to worship him to get him to build one, if and a big IF, he thinks you are worthy.

Too bad really, because he could have had much more success if he had marketed his amps differently.
But perhaps that is the way he liked it.

He must be some kind of recluse. I vision him with long greasy hair and long finger nails, refusing to answer phone calls or talk to anybody.

Too bad he doesn't get much of the action when one of his old amps goes for $40K-50K.....

Maybe he is rich and doesn't need anymore money, who knows, it all seems to be conjecture for the most part.

I tend to lean that way because he just seems able to do what he wants such as build firearms and other woodwork.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!