MM 212RD65 transformers for DMBL clone

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

hbamp

MM 212RD65 transformers for DMBL clone

Post by hbamp »

Hello guys,
This is a garbage found someone gave me. Iron seems OK!
Looks like it is used for BBQ.
It was complete with a good looking 2 X12"cab and original working MM Alnico speakers.
Is there any experience with these trannies in a DMBL clone. I never used MM iron. If so in what type of clone you would use them.
I don't like hybrid amps so I dont want to restore it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dutch hand build amps
bluesfendermanblues

Re: MM 212RD65 transformers for DMBL clone

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Looks like a nice catch. MM trannies seem to be in high esteem on this forum, so they'll probably be a good foundation for a nice clone with 700Volts ! on the plates. Don't know which model you get, but schemo's can be found at: http://www.music-man.com/techinfo/old_amps/

I' building a Highplate standard/HRM amp (with two OD's), and I've got a set of Partridge trannies from an old Laney amp. The PT puts out 550 Volts, which will be great for an EL34 or KT77 PWR amp.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Any D-style w/700Vp, 350Vs, HRM, non-HRM, 6CA7s worth a try too and for lower power good NOS 5881s, maybe the Tungsol RIs. Some say Winged C 6L6GCs can take 700Vp too, never tried that.

That is a good deal! You owe your pal a case of Heineken!
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

I use Music man Iron, and find the sovtek 5881 the best candidate in the 6l6 vein, EL34's are hit or miss due to the shoddy construction of modern ones.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
hbamp

Post by hbamp »

I have a very nice duett Mesa rebranded Sylvania 6CA7 with the little holes in the center. Test like new, sound like Angels and can handle the 700V very well.
Not shure what ODS is the best choise. What would you suggest with this iron? HRM or standard, classic or skyliner, High/low plate.
I feel for mutch versatility as possible in this one so it should be able to handle a Strat, ES335 and a Les Paul. Honoustly I'am not familiar with this Iron so I would appreciate all your opinions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dutch hand build amps
talbany

Post by talbany »

IMHO The 700v does change the personality of the output section.. Touch sensitivity, throaty mid quality and some added headroom are the most obvious to me... These are noticeable but not drastic qualities at least not enough to say yeah the MM Iron works better with HRM/Bluesmaster Non HRM etc...That's all still pretty subjective.. I was shooting for the Rugged Road thing so I went Non HRM high plate Skyline 100w and got pretty close.. Those 6CA's should sound good in there..Good Luck

Tony
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

KT-88's are an option
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
David Root

Post by David Root »

I have a quad of NOS 7581As branded Mesa 415 STR on their way to me, seemed like a decent price. Will compare with my used RCA blackplate set.

I know these things can do 120W in the right amp and are tough as nails.

Are they tough enough for 700 Vp at say 60% Pa?