Dumble Question

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

xray

Dumble Question

Post by xray »

Do the internal trimmers in a HRM dumble style amp affect the tone of the lead channel when it is in the tone-stack bypass/boost mode ?
JD0x0

Re: Dumble Question

Post by JD0x0 »

yea
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
xray

Post by xray »

Thanks !
LPSGME

Post by LPSGME »

xray wrote:Do the internal trimmers in a HRM dumble style amp affect the tone of the lead channel when it is in the tone-stack bypass/boost mode ?
JD0x0 wrote:yea
They do?

If by, internal trimmers of an HRM, he means the internal 'tone' trim pots that come after the OD section - which, I believe, only exist in the HRM - then wouldn't the answer be 'no' - unless the OD is active.
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

correct me if im wrong but i believe he was asking if the HRM gets bypassed when you turn the PAB on. The clean channel gets affected which affects the OD, and the HRM naturally only affects the OD channel
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
LPSGME

Post by LPSGME »

JD0x0 wrote:correct me if im wrong but i believe he was asking if the HRM gets bypassed when you turn the PAB on. The clean channel gets affected which affects the OD, and the HRM naturally only affects the OD channel
You are 100% correct.

I got confused by the way the words of the question were parsed, and as I think of the PAB as being part of the clean stage, and not as a function of the "lead channel" (i.e. OD stage) as well.
Dr d

Post by Dr d »

The way I look at it, the PAB affects the tone of everything whether you are using the clean or the OD. It also depends on which type of PAB you use. I also understand, correct me if i'm wrong, that the idea of the HRM is that you can dial in a specific eq'ed lead sound at a higher gain with the PAB engaged. This doesnt stop you using the OD without the PAB...it will just sound different with it engaged. Hope I make sense!
xray

Post by xray »

Yes, basically what I want to know is whether you can tune the OD channel with the PAB engaged using the internal trimmers in an HRM amp.
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

You have to. The PAB should always be on when the OD is. If you run the signal through two tone stacks, you murder the clarity.

I wire the footswitch so the PAB works independently but the OD turns them both on. Skip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr d

Post by Dr d »

I take your point, I am interested to know how the PAB affects the clarity of signal in a Bluesmaster HRM as I understand the PAB is alot darker in the Bluesmaster model.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Luthierwnc wrote:You have to. The PAB should always be on when the OD is. If you run the signal through two tone stacks, you murder the clarity.

I wire the footswitch so the PAB works independently but the OD turns them both on. Skip
I don't think that is true or if it is, it's a matter of preference.

I haven't noticed anybody else say they always have PAB on when in overdrive.
Perhaps it is a HRM thing which I don't have but I would assume that most of the HRM guys adjust their HRM tone trimmers with the clean channel tone stack adjusted to their desire.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

HRM's seem to prefer being run in PAB boost mode. Non HRM's are more tolerant of using or not using the clean channel tone stack.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
talbany

Post by talbany »

For me much of it has to do with the guitar.. Strats definitely like the boost especially the megaboost Bluesmaster( lift the mid pot).. Thickens the pot adds quite a bit o gain if that's your quest.. For humbuckers without the boost I find very useful for rhythm type things with heavy crunch ala early Billy G kinda vibe.. (only in 100 cranked a bit) much of it has to do with how you set it up of coarse..Either way you should adjust the HRM with the boost engaged if no one has mentioned it yet..

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"