Best Parts Supplier?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

tomrasdf

Best Parts Supplier?

Post by tomrasdf »

Hi all.
Newby here. Been really getting into this amp thing over the last year and a half and thoroughly enjoying myself. I've built a SE 5f1 type circut and am looking on to building a tube boost pedal and eventually some sort of Dumble inspired AB 50 watt. I really appreciate this forum. This is a great resource and I've really learned a lot from all the discussion going on here.

On the the question at hand: Who out there seems to be the best part supplier? I've worked with tubedepot.com, thetubestore.com, hoffman amps, torres engineering just to name a few. They're all not bad and each one has things that the others don't, but none seem to have everything I need. Is there some magical supplier out there that has everything at silly low prices that I'm missing, or is that a trade secret? What I'm looking for specifically that none of these guys seem to have are the 100K trim pots as seen in the ODS. All I can find are 50K and 10K bias pots. Any thoughs?

-TR
dogears

Re: Best Parts Supplier?

Post by dogears »

mouser.com
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

one thing i love bout mouser and digi-key is they tend to ship super fast... and never mess up a order:) Only thing i hate is trying to find the parts i need outa 20billion:)
Hey man, you're leanin on my dream......
tomrasdf

Post by tomrasdf »

I've looked into mouser.com. It looked like it'd have just about everything, but was a bit intimidated by the format. I'm a simple man. I like pictures. Oh well. I'll look into it a with a bit more intention and go from there. Thanks for the help!
-TR
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Tom, im the same way.. if im not sure about a part and wanna see a pic i grab the catalog or check the online one, it usually has pics.. only thing i have a hard time with is getting the right pots...
Icetech

Post by Icetech »

Tom, im the same way.. if im not sure about a part and wanna see a pic i grab the catalog or check the online one, it usually has pics.. only thing i have a hard time with is getting the right pots...
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Icetech wrote:Tom, im the same way.. if im not sure about a part and wanna see a pic i grab the catalog or check the online one, it usually has pics.. only thing i have a hard time with is getting the right pots...
for trim pots, the 10mm PIHER are GREAT ( mouser.com) , and come in ALL major values... if you want bigger, just go up in size, pix of their alpha pots so... just order ALOT of alphas, the values are drifty, you can find nice clarostats at Allidec.com ( allied electronics) They have REALLY cool resistors as well .... :)
seulb-rd

Post by seulb-rd »

i'd like to give a shout out for steve at www.apexjr.com for great deals on teflon wire and somtimes pots as well. and for a bit of heresy, i use surplus radial e-lytics from www.allelectronics.com for 1,5, and 10 uf cathode bypass. also, no one mentioned antique electronics ( www.tubesandmore.com ), they're amp builder-friendly.
i think you're unlikely to find a one stop shop for ALL your amp building wants/needs.
ciao...dr. blues
otterpop

Post by otterpop »

Another for Mouser and Digi-key. I ordered from Mouser on Sunday, and it got here today. Call and ask for a catalog. It takes about a month for that. In the meantime, there is a BOM in the files forum that will get you in the ballpark for part nos. to use on their website. When you open an item's page, the catalog page will show up, click on that and you will see different values, etc..
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

The coolest thing about Mouser is the Project Manager. You can cut and paste a huge list of parts in the BOM tool they have and it will itemize them for you. At that point you can edit the list for deletions, changes, etc. and save it to come back to later. All you need is a part number and quantity to get started. Just put each item on a separate line (or row in a spreadsheet), then cut and paste into the BOM tool.

Example (straight out of my spreadsheet):

30BJ500-1.8K 1
30BJ500-2.7K 1
30BJ500-9.8K 2
30BJ500-33K 1
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com