Modern Eagle Amp?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Modern Eagle Amp?

Post by Structo »

I was looking at the C site and saw they had a layout called the Modern Eagle.
Anybody know what that is about or what amp it is a clone of?

http://www.ceriatone.com/images/layoutP ... gleMod.jpg
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
odourboy

Re: Modern Eagle Amp?

Post by odourboy »

At a glance, it looks like a pretty standard high plate non-HRM. Notice the OD input trimmer has been brought out to the rear panel. That's a touch some tweekers with appreciate.
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
talbany

Post by talbany »

What's with the 100k slope..

Tony
angelodp

Mid-boost

Post by angelodp »

Mid-boost is using .001uf instead of .002uf ?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

They are coming out with a SSS and KT88 amps as well.

Release date not given.
Last edited by M Fowler on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Ok on the right hand side of the home page it says:

New Amp - Overtone Special FM - Modern Eagle Mod

So it is a mod on the Ford amp.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

I actually am almost finished building this amp. It is the same as the FM but a couple components are changed because a lot of people thought the FM50 was little too bright souding.
Todd
Mark

Post by Mark »

The 100K slope resistor does thicken up the tone of the amp a bit, but it does get a bit bass heavy, I wonder if a smaller bass cap would have allowed more lower mids through?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
talbany

Post by talbany »

This is so typical ..Finally the famous and highly sought after tone of Robben Ford's #102 Dumble Overdrive Special is reviled in a layout and given to the mass populous in a kit ....Rejoice!!.. Then what do they do MODIFY IT...This is Classic.. :roll: :roll: :roll:

(Yes we all know the amp needs to be run through the loop))

Tony
ER

Post by ER »

...and then they come here to get it working...
talbany

Post by talbany »

ER wrote:...and then they come here to get it working...

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14057
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

You guys are just so friendly and helpful :)

No wonder the Ceriatone guys come here.
ampdork

Post by ampdork »

Tony have you built a #102?

Definitely NOT the right amp for 80% or more of the guys who are convinced that is what they need....but they are CONVINCED of it...till they play it. Wouldn't you agree?

Loop or not that amp will NOT sit well with a vast majority of Ford freaks...this has already played out several times.

I do not even list that one because I KNOW that is not right for the vast majority of people.

Heck man even Brandon had a little circuit between the loop jacks to eliminate high end and give it a nicer more playable sound without the loop.

Granted this is a more elegant way then what Nik did as it allows the stock circuit to be employed with a patch cable but yeah...

Even with the loop and the cables and the entire Ford "get up" guys still find it difficult to relate to.

Without all that....Nope.... not even worth turning on frankly.

Must admit the ford amp was a huge bummer for me. The mystery was more fun then the reality of it is...

Guys with a LOT of experience with these styles of amps 'Might" grok it more but man by and large this amp just baffles the average guy.

I simply avoid the mess by not pushing them. I'll bet there have been more then a few "WTF's" regarding Nik amp.
If he put out a dead on clone for mass consumption I wish him the best of luck with that one...

The ford amp wold be the LAST one I would ever start anyone on...

So I can see why he would do it... Makes perfect sense actually. Bet it sounds decent too..

besides why do be still knock Nik for this but praise others guy who have done as much engineering as shoving a skyliner hrm into a BM PI...

Same thing innit?
"...& I'm all out of bubblegum"
talbany

Post by talbany »

Dear Shad

Thanks for making the point..!..I have not built an amp from the layout of 102 from scratch..It is on my books.. I have done several of the mods on high plate skyliners converting to 102 and these mods like the presence circuit and master vol cap filtering etc..etc..I don't find these difficult to relate to at all as you say.. Iv'e had quite a few well respected buliders on the forum PM me and thanking me for the layout and using it for their builds and all of these guy's praising the tone of the 102 layout and not mentioning any of those things you point out so I am a bit confused.. So this is news to me..
looking at the 102 being basically a high plate skyliner (with a few mods) what is it about the slightly different 102 circuit that in your opinion makes it hard to relate to?..

As for the NIK thing my roll the eyes was that finally the mystery behind 102 was reviled ( At the Amp Garage) and he introducing the Ford Mustang from the info to the masses then having to modify it for what ever reason doesn't exactly make it a Ford amp now does it..... Perhaps Nik should have built the Ford Mustang in it's original form (like the layout) and determined if the amp sounded and performed truly like the #102 amp (sounds like it didn't) before introducing the amp to the public or step back just as you did..
So this begs the question and in your opinion is the 102 layout not come close to tone of the original 102 amp or is it a good representation and it's the combination of Robben's hands guitars whatever that produces that highly sought after tone..

All The Best

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
dogears

Post by dogears »

Every single person who has played my RF rig has been really really impressed. It is not stiff nor bright. It is hands down the best D style rig I have played. It needs to be setup just right though. If this is done, it is the Mona Lisa of Dumbles IMO, and also for a great many others. Just ask guys like Pinner, Les, Dave Henderson, etc

Maybe it takes the right player since it exposes slop? Maybe not for the masses. But for the serious players, it is the bomb.

I would not change a thing in it.

Just throwing this out there since I do not want misinformation or opinion becoming reality.