Modern Eagle Amp?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bluesfendermanblues

Re: Modern Eagle Amp?

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

dogears wrote:Every single person who has played my RF rig has been really really impressed. It is not stiff nor bright. It is hands down the best D style rig I have played. It needs to be setup just right though. If this is done, it is the Mona Lisa of Dumbles IMO, and also for a great many others. Just ask guys like Pinner, Les, Dave Henderson, etc

Maybe it takes the right player since it exposes slop? Maybe not for the masses. But for the serious players, it is the bomb.

I would not change a thing in it.

Just throwing this out there since I do not want misinformation or opinion becoming reality.
Ditto that!

My #102 is not overly bright l - I use the loop (with Intellifex + Minimix II) and the master vol (with big, 68p bright cap) is usually set at noon and therefore the cap has minor effect on the brightness.

However, if you use the amp without loop, its much too bright, Therefore, don't use it without a loop , hence Dogears post above refering to the RF RIG not just amp.

In fact I have a relay on the input vol bright switch (200p) in order to make the amp brighter in clean mode.

For me the #102 is miles ahead of my Bluesmaster (50w, 6L6), #183 (100w, el34) and HRM (50w, el34). Its a very sweet amp and it doesn't sound distorted - it just sings.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
talbany

Post by talbany »

I think Shad has earned the right to voice his opinion..

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
andyhardy

Post by andyhardy »

Thus the foot note bottom left corner
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluesfendermanblues

andyhardy wrote:Thus the foot note bottom left corner
Eagleeye andy :D
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yeah I never noticed that footnote either. :twisted:

My amp is 99% Ford.
I only have a 47pf cap on my master, instead of the 68pf.

I don't find it overly bright, I run the treble at around 7 and the presence around 6.

Pre-volume at 7 and master at noon.

I do use a D'lator with it. It is bright without that. :wink:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ampdork

Post by ampdork »

Just throwing this out there since I do not want misinformation or opinion becoming reality.
Right you would only want YOUR opinion or misinformation to be the one that becomes reality is that it?

Why did you not take your own advice a few years back regarding the bluesmaster? I think you stated:

"Now that I have been playing this I am CERTAIN this is what Ford is playing"

Hmmm .....expressing your opinion and misinformation (well it did not bear out to be true did it?) as facts and reality?

Uh....yep. :lol:

Just one example of how you often state your opinion as fact and at the same time you try to make issue about others opinions.

I am clear with what I said. Those were my experiences and opinions.

I never once said this was true for ALL players did I?

In fact didn't you just make my point?
You and Pinner are not at all in the percentage of people I was speaking of that would not get it.
You guys would be that tiny percentage of players with a good sense of dynamic touch.

Face the facts that there are a heck of a lot more guitarists without the sense of dynamics that either you or Pinner posses...

There is a compliment in there somewhere.

But the reality is that you often present your opinions as facts or at the very least superior to others.... and then blast guys who are clearly stating opinions as such....

but whatever.... When you gonna cut us an album already?
"...& I'm all out of bubblegum"
bluesfendermanblues

Good point ampdork, However, I dont' quite agree that its is a matter of (pinner and dogears) spreading misinformation.

To me it looks like this whole dumble thing has been a journey or science project if you will over the past decade - attempting to nail down or recreate RF's Dumble sound.

The statement - you are referring to - about the Bluesmaster was made at some point (around 2007) when people (like dogears) thought that the Bluesmaster was 'it' for RF sounds.

Around the same time Brandon (Funkadiliousgroove) was convinced that
- 'The Millers Son' sounded like RF played a HRM
- 'Revelation' sounded - a Non HRM
- 'Politician' - HRM
- 'That Rugged Road' - std. skyliner
- 'Strong will to Live' - Bluesmaster

- We don't know if this is true or not - since RF is known to borrow amps from other players, but at the time it was posted it seemed (to me) like a valid hypothesis.

Thanks to you we now know how RF's blonde/green LED amp is configured and in hindsight the above mentioned hypotheses about RF's gear being Bluesmaster or HRM/Skyliner might seem less relevant.

But hey, it has been part of the constant journey at this forum :D and part of what keeps me interested in Dumble Amps.

People at this forum spend a lot of time and energy trying to find/recreate the tones of EJ, RF or John Mayer and these people are kind enough to share their findings/research with other forumites and we readjust our opinions down the road as our ears and soldering skills develop - this is both art and research.

BTW I value your opinion and your contribution on this forum has enabled me to have a great #102 clone, that I really enjoy. Thank you!
I am also very grateful to pinner, dogears, funk, Tony VVT and a lot of other people who's ideas and finding has given me great amps - no not amps....amp rigs :D 8)
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

deleted no interest.
Last edited by M Fowler on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

Very Interesting on the Dumbleator. I have a #102 build and have not been pleased with it.
#124 build has the #102 mods it is a great amp. The top ODS build so far for me is #183 100 watt.
#183 has the best clean tones but it also has mods it’s a far departure from the stock layout.
Using #183 I can use any guitar with no volume change; Stratocaster to 335, Les Paul to Telecaster.
Not so on #102 or #124 the never ending quest.
What amp model is controversial, this is just my choice so far?
#183 = the Green Hornet. Long live the Green Hornet.

Steve. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluesfendermanblues

67plexi wrote:Very Interesting on the Dumbleator. I have a #102 build and have not been pleased with it.
#124 build has the #102 mods it is a great amp. The top ODS build so far for me is #183 100 watt.
#183 has the best clean tones but it also has mods it’s a far departure from the stock layout.
Using #183 I can use any guitar with no volume change; Stratocaster to 335, Les Paul to Telecaster.
Not so on #102 or #124 the never ending quest.
What amp model is controversial, this is just my choice so far?
#183 = the Green Hornet. Long live the Green Hornet.

Steve. :D
Steve what mods have you done to your #183?? master bright cap and 2.2 presence cap?
Mark

Post by Mark »

I find the RF, EJ and John Mayer thing all a bit silly. Sure these guys can play, but I find them rather boring to listen to generally. I think they put themselves before the song which is to the detriment of the song. However this is personal opinion and a lot like determining if an amp is too bright. It's all subjective.

My interest in Dumbles stems from the fact that I've heard they are a good amp and whether I'm a good player or not, I want the amp to enhance the joy I get from playing guitar.

Of course it is fun to play an amp I built myself.

So if a #102 works for one guy and a #183 works for another, it's all good. :D
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

+1 on the RF, EJ and JM comment.
I find Joe Bonamassa and Sonny Landreth a lot less boring to listen to for D-style users.
T Wilcox

Post by T Wilcox »

Oops forgot to say IMHO
CHIP

Post by CHIP »

Mark wrote:I find the RF, EJ and John Mayer thing all a bit silly. Sure these guys can play, but I find them rather boring to listen to generally. I think they put themselves before the song which is to the detriment of the song. However this is personal opinion and a lot like determining if an amp is too bright. It's all subjective.

My interest in Dumbles stems from the fact that I've heard they are a good amp and whether I'm a good player or not, I want the amp to enhance the joy I get from playing guitar.

Of course it is fun to play an amp I built myself.

So if a #102 works for one guy and a #183 works for another, it's all good. :D
IMHO, especially JM.
Homebelly

Post by Homebelly »

talbany wrote:
ER wrote:...and then they come here to get it working...

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14057
Um..
Not quite.
My amp is a HRM and i came here because most people are helpful, approachable and knowledgable.
I also pointed out in my post that i had posted on the ceriatone forum as well as my reasons for posting here.