New Member Hello & Question about Two-Rock Sterling Sig.

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

glasman

Re: New Member Hello & Question about Two-Rock Sterling Sig.

Post by glasman »

Hey if yoiu got the dough Davlid Lindleys SSS is or was up for sale on one of the guitar sites in Japan.

FWIW, Henry has 2 SSS amps. The early one (#1 I think) is his favorite. Lots of tubes in that amp, 7 preamp and 4 output from what information I have. The other amp (#6?) does not have as many 5 or 6 preamp tubes.

I am pretty sure that the Sterling was modelled after #6. Brandons were modelled after Eric Johnsons which I think is closer to $6, but this is only speculation.

Best part they were all different. The early ones had several internal feedback loops and I am pretty sure that HAD deleted some of these in later builds. There is at least two different reverb systems and mixers that were used in various SSS.

Hard amp to clone, but good amp to gather some cool ideas from.

Gary
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
talbany

Post by talbany »

AFAIK..

#1 is Henry Kaisers
#2 is John Mayers
#3 Was David Lindley's
#4 is Henry Kaiser's
#5 was Eric Johnsons
#6 ?? Perhaps Carltons from Renegade Gentleman?
#7 SRV.

I know Kirk Hammett had one, and there are a few others out there.

Does it make a big difference if an amp is built with NOS...You bet your gozangas it does..

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Apparently Stevie Rays were #5 and #6. One is the black face plate and Vox grill cloth.

The first gig he did with them was th 22 August 83.

Stevie's 2 x SSS were stolen (with other gear) and he ordered 2 more at extra cost to get them rushed through. The originals were recovered and when they went to cancel HAD kept the deposit. In the end SRV thought he was stilled owed an amp and HAD still thought he was owed money.
paisley_tele

Post by paisley_tele »

Nice history between dumble and srv. The amps must have been great for srv to keep dealing with dumble.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Aaron wrote:Apparently Stevie Rays were #5 and #6. One is the black face plate and Vox grill cloth.

The first gig he did with them was th 22 August 83.

Stevie's 2 x SSS were stolen (with other gear) and he ordered 2 more at extra cost to get them rushed through.
Really!! This is the first I've heard of this.. Can you elaborate.. I know Stevies famous Vibroverb and a few other items were stolen, later recovered by some guy selling it in a supermarket shopping center..This was all in a Tonquest report article..
Also if you don't mind me asking how you know Stevies SSS amps were #5 and #6..
The originals were recovered and when they went to cancel HAD kept the deposit. In the end SRV thought he was stilled owed an amp and HAD still thought he was owed money.
So am I to assume the stories in this thread are not accurate?

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=150

All The Best..

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Aaron

Stevie's SSS

Post by Aaron »

Hi Tony,

If your a SRV fan check Craig Hopkins' book Day By Day, Night After Night.

Stevie's roadie Byron Barr mentioned in his journal the date the Dumble's arrived. There's also a picture taken on the 27th August 1983 at the Reading Festival where Stevie's standing infront of a..............OVERDRIVE SPECIAL!!!! (Vox grill, black panel) on top of the Dumble 4x12 cab. (not a SSS which I first thought)

Then almost to the the day, 3 years later, 9 cases of gear were stolen, including the 2 SSS's and Dumble cab. Stevie then paid $3250 each plus $2545 for admin and rush labour. Story goes Stevie rented 2 SSS's until his were recovered, but still received delivery of another 2 STEEL STRING SINGERS (which took forever for delivery anyway).

Does this mean the Jimmie Vaughan has FOUR STEEL STRING SINGERS IN STORAGE :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I also read somewhere that his first SSS's were constantly beaking down, and were forever sending back for repairs.
goldtele

Post by goldtele »

Very Very interesting posts!!

Has anyone compared a Sterling Sig. to the Bludotone HPD?
andyhardy

Post by andyhardy »

Here is John Mayer amp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andyhardy

Post by andyhardy »

And a sig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andyhardy

Post by andyhardy »

one more
paisley_tele

Post by paisley_tele »

That's the custom reverb sig not the serlin sig. I emailed two rock and they say the Mayer is like a custom clean not the crs.
andyhardy

Post by andyhardy »