Who can make a 15-w ODS

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jelle

Re: Who can make a 15-w ODS

Post by jelle »

The real 50W dumbles I have played had serious tone. 100W is cool but not mandatory, IMHO, unless you play large gigs or play with a hard hitting drummer.
talbany

Post by talbany »

IMO you can file the the 50w/100w debate in the subjective category..However most of the clips and famous recordings we all know and love and compare that D-tone to are 100 watter's... We all know if you want to clone that tone you have to go there..In retrospect it's how close do you want to get to that #102 /#124/183/ whatever tone (if that's what your chasing) ..I suppose a 50w in the right hands will possibly get you close but are you really going to nail it and will it feel the same?..
For me a big part of the Dumble tone is generated by the higher powered output section (like say SRV's SSS) but that's not to say you cant build a 50w or 15w version that inspires you,sounds good to you and fits well in your tool box..
All The Best!!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Structo

Post by Structo »

It should be known that Luddy has a Ceriatone OTS amp.

He had this to say:

I have had a Ceriatone OTS for nearly a year. Playing it at home at bedroom levels, it had many sounds, but nothing really good. I started using it in my blues trio late last spring. I started getting better sounds, but attributed it to experimentation. Now it is back home and it sounds great at a lower level. I have always used a 12" Tone Tubby.

I don't know what wattage your amp is but certainly you have enough experience to know that these amps can sound pretty good dialed down.

Another route you could take is the HRM style.
It would seem that having two tone stacks would make dialing in a lower volume sound would be easier, however I am guessing here because I have never played through an HRM.

Or you could build a little 6V6 or EL84 power amp and run your OTS preamp out of the Send jack into it.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ampdork

Post by ampdork »

Kimock swears by the 50 watter.
"...& I'm all out of bubblegum"
briane

Post by briane »

life is too short for bad tone.
ha, ha...been saying that for years myself.

Decide whats best. get it.

Thats how you should live life.
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
fp2000

Post by fp2000 »

+1 on the 50 watt or higher. 22 watts if you think you will never leave your bedroom, but like me, I am sure a lot of people who wanted more clean headroom must have already converted to 50 or 100 watts. I have now both 50 and 100 watt and like the 100 watt very much. The master control will keep it quiet if you need to.
Failure is not an option... it comes bundled with the kit.
Structo

Post by Structo »

That's the thing right there.
Clean headroom.

That is one of the great attributes of the ODS amp is it's luscious full clean tone.

I have a small 6V6 amp and while it is not a Dumble by any stretch, the available clean headroom is pretty limited, but it does sound good when it starts breaking up.

If you end up wanting the sound of a more turned up amplifier then a good attenuator might fit the bill.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

[quote="David Root"]

As far as a Ceriatone OT being "too heavy", I'm sorry, but get serious! Mass = tone.

Right on Dave!
If you want the sounds, you got to carry the pounds!
sixstringer

Post by sixstringer »

If the Ceriatone OTS head you have is in the original Ceriatone cabinet, you can save a substantial mount of weight by changing it out for a lighter box. When I assembled the Ceriatone OTS kit and built a pine cabinet in the Dumble style to house it, I was surprised and how much lighter it was over the standard Ceriatone built version. My motivation was to have a finished head that was more faithful to the original Dumble look but it turned out that the weight saving was a big plus. Light weight pine or poplar plywood could provide a very light weight enclosure.

Regarding the “big iron = bit tone” issue, I’ve noticed that Mark Sampson (designer of Matchless, Bad Cat, etc) is now using triodal transformers (much lighter) in some of his newer designs and that guy knows something about how to build toneful amps. I asked him about it and he said there is a world of components available that have not been used in tradition tube amp building. Just a thought…..