Anyone have any experience with a Peavey Valverb?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

SeanA

Re: Anyone have any experience with a Peavey Valverb?

Post by SeanA »

I have a Valverb and use it in a loop with a D-lator until I find something better.

It is ok at best- the problem is that the controls seem poorly thought out. There is either a LOAD of reverb or not enough. I can't find a sweet spot on it. Also, you have an actual spring tank in a rack, so if you jostle the unit at all there is a reverb crash like you kicked a Super Reverb.

I don't put the rack on top of a loud cabinet, either. I can hear a slight rumble as the pan is vibrated by low frequencies. This is not always convenient.

Who needs bass/treb/mid controls for the just the reverberated signal? The folks at Peavey, that's who. I would have preferred one tone knob and better control over the amount of reverb.

The positives are the reverb is nice if you like a little tiny bit or want to do the Dick Dale thing. The trem is really nice, but has a large volume drop which makes it unusable for me.

Quite honestly, I don't think they are worth the $400 or so that they seem to sell for on eBay. I would go digital if you have the choice.
kevster

Post by kevster »

SeanA wrote:I have a Valverb and use it in a loop with a D-lator until I find something better.

It is ok at best- the problem is that the controls seem poorly thought out. There is either a LOAD of reverb or not enough. I can't find a sweet spot on it. Also, you have an actual spring tank in a rack, so if you jostle the unit at all there is a reverb crash like you kicked a Super Reverb.

I don't put the rack on top of a loud cabinet, either. I can hear a slight rumble as the pan is vibrated by low frequencies. This is not always convenient.

Who needs bass/treb/mid controls for the just the reverberated signal? The folks at Peavey, that's who. I would have preferred one tone knob and better control over the amount of reverb.

The positives are the reverb is nice if you like a little tiny bit or want to do the Dick Dale thing. The trem is really nice, but has a large volume drop which makes it unusable for me.

Quite honestly, I don't think they are worth the $400 or so that they seem to sell for on eBay. I would go digital if you have the choice.
Since I'm using a Dumbleator in my amp (bulk of it arrived yesterday, but I have no time to start putting stuff together), I've decided to go with a digital unit. Probably a Lexicon MX_00 for now. All the feedback from everyone said kind of the same thing... The value just isn't there.

Thanks for the repsponses everyone!!!
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

kevster wrote:I was considering picking one up, but I've never seen one or known anyone that did. A rack slot sized tube reverb is something I'd be interested in if it's legitimately a good reverb.

Manual: http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80301653.pdf

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcbYlcno ... re=related

Anyone know anything about them? Opinions?

A digital reverb unit I've been considering is the Lexicon MX200. It is an entry level reverb/delay (rack multi-effects) unit, but it israted fairly high in reviews. Anyone with an opinion on the Lexicon MX series?
I've fixed several rackmount peavey reverbs if I recall the tank could use some better mounting. the tube burns hot so you get a nice drive but it does go bad rather fast. (12-18months) most of them just needed a solid cleaning and a couple new pots which were available from peavey tech support at $5 each plus shipping.

I'm not a huge fan of the Lexicon product line until you get into the pro models like the 9000 Larc. Every Lexicon has a very noticeable treble on all the products that to me just screams digital! You would be far better off IMHO to look at a T.C. Electronics M-one reverb unit. dial in a reverb you like then go into the user presets and remove the predelay completely. set the xover between 3k-5k and adjust the miliseconds to compliment the tail for your song.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge