Rack Mount Reverb/Delay sugguestions?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

kevster

Post by kevster »

Building the cab to my new Dumble ODS 50 #102 clone. This custom head cab is taller to accommodate the Dumbleator and a rack mount reverb/delay unit. Since I use delays a lot, I wanted to get a decent rack mount unit in the $200-$500 range. I want a good reverb unit with a delay, but I'll still use the DD-20 for some of the heavier delays I need. A footswitch isn't essential, but might be handy. I'm sure everyone understands what I need.

So, what would you guys recommend? I've used the Lexicon MX400 and it was OK, and I've been told the TC Electronic M-One is good for this application, so there are two possibilities that I've gotten some feedback on.

Any suggestions?
jeffo

Post by jeffo »

I've just stared using a TC electronics G Major 2 and I'm very happy with it, gigging every week. I am in the process of building a rackmount dumbleator-like design as well so that both will go into a 2RU rack.

I wanted a small simple MIDI controller that would fit into my existing pedal board so went for the PEAK controller, a FCN4N2. It has a simple display with two bank selects foot switches and and 4 foot switches per bank.

The MIDI setup and mapping of presets to banks etc was really easy, it pretty much worked first time as expected. I am far from being a MIDI expert, so I was plesantly surprised. :lol:
Nairbr

Re: Rack Mount Reverb/Delay sugguestions?

Post by Nairbr »

+1 on the G Major2
I have the older G Major and the 2 version is a much better unit.
Also I am using the 2 relays on my G major to switch channels on my amp as well.
Midi controller I use is a Rocktron Midi Mate, a bit big but you can program in song names in the display
brentm

Post by brentm »

I have the G-Major 2 also, and like it. The reverb is tough to beat, but I sometimes find myself wanting a delay pedal just for ease. It can be a bit clunky to dial in and they took the tap tempo button off the 2 version (must have external pedal for tap tempo).

But overall, I really love the G-Major 2. Still trying to find the right midi controller for it beyond the MIDI mouse.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I don't think you can go wrong with the TC Electronic gear.
I have a G Sharp which is more in the budget line but it provides just the right amount of ambient reverb and delay I like to have on all the time.
I like it a lot.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I use an M-One XL. The XL is a better version of the plain M-One. Great delays, chorus, and reverb. These are VERY good sounding. The only thing I wish it had was the TC dynamic delay. The M-One does not have that. The D-Two and the Nova and of course the 2290 do.

I don't really like or use the compression, flanger, tremolo. These are less than impressive.

I use a Ground Control Pro midi controller with an RG-16/effects. I highly recommend it for a medium priced fully programmable effects setup. The Ground Control switches all midi devices and also the amps' bright switch, mid boost, clean/OD

Also, I only use the M-One in a parallel loop. I find that it sucks a bit of tone even with the D'lator. The glassy cleans that I like are especially impacted. I have yet to find a unit that does not suck tone in a serial loop, although many others claim that they have. YMMV.

EDIT: The M-One XL has much higher quality reverb, delay and chorus compared to the M300.
Last edited by vibratoking on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

I use a TC M300 that I got off craigslist for $100.
I use it with a D-lator, of course, and I like it.
The reverb and delay programs are very good.
I have less use for the other effects, some are ok,
some are not.
Like most digital units, it likes a good strong input signal-
I run input level on the TC around noon, and drive from
D-lator pretty close to full on, seems to work.
It's been reliable so far.
pinner

Post by pinner »

The G Major 2 is nice but I highly recommend with all of these that you use a Suhr minimix that will allow you to kept the dry signal analog. The processors have great effects but kill the dry with the A/D and D/A conversion. Either that or get an old rocktron intellifex that keep the dry analog. Trust me, there is a Major difference when using the mini mix!!!!!!
kevster

Post by kevster »

Thanks for the feedback... I see TC products are definitely leading the pack right now!!!
pinner wrote:The G Major 2 is nice but I highly recommend with all of these that you use a Suhr minimix that will allow you to kept the dry signal analog. The processors have great effects but kill the dry with the A/D and D/A conversion. Either that or get an old rocktron intellifex that keep the dry analog. Trust me, there is a Major difference when using the mini mix!!!!!!
How would this fare with the D-lator currently in the loop. A parallel loop in the serial loop? Hmmm.

Is coloring a problem even with the D-lator?
pinner

Post by pinner »

It fairs VERY well. That is how Dogears sets up his non2290 rack. We tried with and without. Game changer for me. I will do the same once I upgrade from my old intellifex. Actually waiting to see if TC comes out with a new rack processor that does not convert the dry like there recent series on pedals. I hope I hope!!!!
brentm

Post by brentm »

pinner wrote:The G Major 2 is nice but I highly recommend with all of these that you use a Suhr minimix that will allow you to kept the dry signal analog. The processors have great effects but kill the dry with the A/D and D/A conversion. Either that or get an old rocktron intellifex that keep the dry analog. Trust me, there is a Major difference when using the mini mix!!!!!!
Doesn't the G-Major 2 have something like this built-in? This is why it has a function "kill dry" for use in parallel loops.
pinner

Post by pinner »

Kill dry just kills the dry for use in parallel loops which standard dumblator is not. You would put it on Kill dry with the parallel loop (minimix) but you cant do that with a series loop (dumblator w/o minimix) It is not a problem with parallel loops. I have a Fuchs with that option however I like to use the return on the loop as a master so I need it on series.
JHP

Post by JHP »

G major2 is best rack unit in that price range however newer stomp units like the timefactor or timeline sound better. Try a Timeline with TC hall of fame reverb.
Minimix is key for rack gear. G major A/D conversion kills the tone.
guitarjazz

Post by guitarjazz »

When I talked to HAD in the '80's he was very excited about controling an ODS with a 2290, which has switching capability via the effects loop.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

When I talked to HAD in the '80's he was very excited about controling an ODS with a 2290, which has switching capability via the effects loop.
I control my amps with the Ground Control and the RG16. I can manually engage any effect, change amp settings individually or change any number of them with a one button preset. Midi control of analog equipment is awesome on so many levels.