Greenback
4%
Other (Comment)
20%

Total votes: 50

kevster

A poll about Speakers...

Post by kevster »

A number of speakers seem to be the "go to" speakers for D-style clones. There are a few others mentioned here and there, but I wondered which one was the MOST common. HAD may have had his preferred speaker for his amps, but I'm curious what a pool of "particular" tone heads think...

So I created a poll...
Bob-I

Re: A poll about Speakers...

Post by Bob-I »

My other, is a combination of an emi, swamp thang and a tonker. Either alone was only fair, but when i put the 2 in a 2x12 it was just magic.

The tonker has ab odd midrange character and is lacking in bottom end, but the highs are beautiful. The swamp thang is a bit bottom heavy.

Brandon also happened on this combo, and a friend of mine heard my amp and ran out to get the same combo.
Structo

Post by Structo »

I voted for the EVM 12L Classic.

To be fair I haven't had the fortune to try the other speakers listed.
So I read a lot of reviews and advice.

I've tried a handful of other speakers but so far the EVM is the keeper for me.

I would like to try a pair of 12-65's some day.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Teleguy61

Post by Teleguy61 »

I have 2 OEM EV12s in tl806 cabs and they are
killer for the ODS.
Had JBLs, which I love for Fender amps, in the cabs
for a bit and the EVs are better. I know the cabs are
designed for the EVs, but it is a successful
design-they work. The bottom end clarity and punch
is great and they will take the heat.
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

I voted for the G1265's. I dig some of the other speakers on there but for versatility the G1265's take the cake IMO.

I've mixed and matched here and there to find what i like best but this is my conclusion on the speakers I like best:

EvM12L's: great speaker, super high Headroom and very efficient, but too freakin heavy, especially for a gigging musician, another thing is the magnet's are very sensitive, I've damaged Ev's when they were set down too hard in a 2x12 cab. Banging your cab around too hard can cause the Magnet to shift which can damage the speaker. Even as little as 1/16 of an Inch can do it.

G1265's: Nice transparent Speaker, more Mid range based, but in a good way. Not too heavy, especially with 2 in a 2x12 cab. They sound great with both the Clean or Overdrive with D-style amps, which is usually hard to find in a speaker.

Eminence Texas Heat & Red White & Blues's: Great mix between an American and British speaker, High Headroom and nice and efficient. More Headroom than the G1265 but they bled well together in a 2x12. Both very transparent, nice and lightweight, they sounds great with both the Clean and Overdrive alike.
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Emminence Red,White & Blues. Nice speaker at a reasonable price.

With respect, 10thtx
greiswig

Post by greiswig »

G12-65 and variants (ASW, Scumback, etc) have a certain gnarl that's really nice for Robben-esque tones. EV-12S gets my vote as being a bit more pleasant than the 12L in the highs for some reason.

But...I recently got an EV SRO (coffee can magnet) that's a recone. Man, that's got something kinda special. It's got everything but a boomy bottom end. Really cool. You pay the price with your back, though! :?
-g
renshen1957

Post by renshen1957 »

Hi,

EV Force,

Great speaker, sadly discontinued :cry:

Best REgards

Steve
Luthierwnc

Post by Luthierwnc »

I've used and liked an EVM12L and a Swamp Thang in Thieles, G12-65 and a Scumback H-55 together (open back), and the latest is a side-ported EV SRO 12. Haven't tried the Altec 417's or an EVM12S but would like to. sh
Structo

Post by Structo »

Luthierwnc,

Would it be possible for you to give us details about your side ported cab?
That really interests me.

Thank! :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

boldaslove6789 wrote: Eminence Texas Heat & Red White & Blues's: Great mix between an American and British speaker, High Headroom and nice and efficient. More Headroom than the G1265 but they bled well together in a 2x12. Both very transparent, nice and lightweight, they sounds great with both the Clean and Overdrive alike.
+1 on the Texas Heat. I've used one in a 1x12 and a combination with WGS ET65 clone in different cabs. If I were to go with one speaker only, it would be the Texas Heat or EVM-12L .
---------
Bryan
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

I have to 2nd the EV Force Proline.

I'd love to have one reconed to hemp and see what happens.

John
David Root

Post by David Root »

I like the Fane Studio 12L. It's very close overall to the EV12L, but a bit smoother high end. I have it and an '80s EV12L side by side in Boogafunk Thiele 806 closed back ported cabs.

A pair of Alnico Altec 417s in two 1x12 oval back cabinets is nice for early (first or second generation) Dumbles. HAD liked the Type II Altecs which are ferrite magnets.

If you like a 15" speaker the JBL E130 is squeaky clean and ruler flat like a Telefunken tube. I have two in an old bass cab. Makes a good testbed for new builds, if anything is out of balance or a little rough, it shows.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Bob-I wrote:My other, is a combination of an emi, swamp thang and a tonker. Either alone was only fair, but when i put the 2 in a 2x12 it was just magic.

The tonker has ab odd midrange character and is lacking in bottom end, but the highs are beautiful. The swamp thang is a bit bottom heavy.

Brandon also happened on this combo, and a friend of mine heard my amp and ran out to get the same combo.
I use the same combo and quite like it. Oversized 212 D-style ported cab.
Bob-I

Post by Bob-I »

renshen1957 wrote:Hi,

EV Force,

Great speaker, sadly discontinued :cry:

Best REgards

Steve
Really? I have a pair of monitors I built years ago with EV force and peavey tweets. They weight a ton but cut like a knife.

I never considered them for guitar, maybe I should give them a try.