power transformer

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

19rick52

power transformer

Post by 19rick52 »

For whatever reason I can't log on to the Brown Note Forum so I'll ask here. :cry:
What is the reason for removing the bell on a power trans and mounting it flush to the chassis? I've got a few amps laying around, some are this way and some have the nuts holding the bell in place and then mounted to the chassis leaving a small 2-3 mm space between the trans and the chassis. :?:
I'm working on the D'Lite kit and the instructions posted so far indicate I should remove the bell and mount the tranny flush.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
BTW the kit is pretty darn nice. Hopefully sometime tomorrow I'll be able to fire it up.
Building amps, one wipf of fumes at a time.
drew

Re: power transformer

Post by drew »

I don't know the answer to your question, but make sure that you read the warning about the error in the layout diagram (posted in the Brownnote forum) before you try to fire it up.
19rick52

Post by 19rick52 »

saw that, thanks
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Perhaps the trannie doesn't fit in the hole with the cover on?? If it does then pick your favorite, either will work.

If the reasoning behind it is because the PT requires the chassis to act as a heat sink then you shouldn't use that tranny, and find something that doesn't get hot under normal operating conditions.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
19rick52

Post by 19rick52 »

Never thought about the chassis being a heat sink, that does make sense. FWIT the tranny came with the kit. Thanks
Normster

Post by Normster »

Just confusing instructions I guess. Only remove the nuts from the bell cover, not the cover itself. It's really just a preference of mine to mount it flush. It's OK to leave the nuts in place and have a little air gap.
19rick52

Post by 19rick52 »

thanks Normster, I didn't think it would bother, But not wanting to mess anything up I thought I'd better find out. Thanks again