Built inside D-lator

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

uriuri

Built inside D-lator

Post by uriuri »

Hi!! I'm in the middle of building a Ceriatone OTS 50 and I was wondering to build a D-lator inside the chassis using the power section of the amp... Any tips?, problems?... I read about the noise it cause if the loop is built inside... Is there a better way to do this... some Schematics? Any help or advice will be appreciated! Thanks guys!!
Structo

Re: Built inside D-lator

Post by Structo »

Looks like you need to do some research.
The answers can be found in the Dumble Files section. :wink:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
husky

Post by husky »

uriuri wrote:Hi!! I'm in the middle of building a Ceriatone OTS 50 and I was wondering to build a D-lator inside the chassis using the power section of the amp... Any tips?, problems?... I read about the noise it cause if the loop is built inside... Is there a better way to do this... some Schematics? Any help or advice will be appreciated! Thanks guys!!
Sure you can shoe horn it in but it won't sound the same as an external box due to cable capacitance. Part of the magic for most people. If you are space challenged though and want a good loop that is transparent you can build one out of high voltage mosfets. No extra tube or heater current to worry about.
Last edited by husky on Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
______
John Suhr
www.suhr.com
pedro

Post by pedro »

John thats very interesting, and I hadnt thought about that

I'm currently building an internal one, as I have a spare socket in my donor chassis, and have space to hardwire the components on terminal strips around the socket.
I guess I could simulate the cable run capacitance by adding some capacitance to the input/outputs ?

Rgds
Pete
Structo

Post by Structo »

Yes
Tom

pedro

Post by pedro »

hmmm,

maybe 100pf at both in/outs to simulate a few feet of cable each way ?

Rgds
PeteC
Structo

Post by Structo »

Greg (Boldaslove) has experimented with this and says in this thread he used a .0022uF

Here is the thread, he makes a mistake and says .022 at first then corrects himself later down the page.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 441#194441
Tom

pedro

Post by pedro »

Great - thanks for the link Tom

Rgds
PeteC
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

If you are space challenged though and want a good loop that is transparent you can build one out of high voltage mosfets.
I drew this up a while back based on someone's use of this idea for a reverb. I have NO idea whether this will work or not?

It is just a DRAFT idea that is unproven (as far as I know).

I am simply posting it for the purpose of discussion & to see if someone who knows mosfets can offer some insight as to whether this would work?

With respect, 10thtx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uriuri

Post by uriuri »

Thanks everyone! (john, thanks also for these fantastic guitars that you and your team build! I own one and i'm in love!)
Mark

Post by Mark »

I wouldn't get too worked up about capacitance of the leads. I like the effect of driving the cathode follower. I also like the bright switch on the send control too.

I've tried high capacitance cables and it does thicken the overall tone of the amp but at the expense of the clean tones.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
wavetuner

Post by wavetuner »

This is an intriguing idea. Has anyone actually built a power Mosfet circuit like this and tested it? If so how did it compare to the real deal d-lator? Perhaps this is a bit of heresy in a purely vacuum tube signal path though.
Joost

Post by Joost »

I built a dumbleator inside my ODS 100W (#124) and powered it using the ODS power section as a basis.

I made a schematic and a layout:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=