New Robben Ford Pedal Board

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

New Robben Ford Pedal Board

Post by Structo »

I saw this at TGP.

Apparently Robben had a new pedal board made by Vertex Effects Systems.

When I saw him earlier in the year he didn't even use a pedal board.
He just had a few pedals scattered on the floor.
And he was having connection problems later in the show which manifested itself as snap, crackle and pops.

Here is his new rig.

[img:800:600]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/ ... G_3080.jpg[/img]

[img:800:600]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/ ... G_3095.jpg[/img]

From Vertex:

SIGNAL PATH
Interface (passive), Korg Pitchblack Tuner, Lovepedal COT 50 Lil’ China, Tanabe Dumkudo, Vertex Boost (Prototype), Vox Wah (Vertex Axis Mod), Vertex Volume Pedal (modified Boss FV-500), Vertex “Michael Landau” Modified Arion Chorus (stereo), Vertex modified Line 6 DL-4 (stereo), T.C. Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb (stereo), T.C. Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb (stereo), Interface (Stereo Outputs with Vertex Dual Output Buffers, ISO transformer on left output, and a polarity switch).

*Vertex Amplifier Channel Switch is for Dumble Overdrive Special and is connected through the interface which has a 5-pin DIN to XLR pass-through).

*Wah is powered off of batteries as requested by Robben.

* Robben is now using Vertex Prototype Instrument Cables going in and out of the pedalboard (see pictures below).

* XLR Cable is wired with Belden 9540 with two leads connected to each pin to maximum durability (if one lead becomes detached or fails the cable will still function flawlessly - see pictures below).

For the new pedalboard (25" x 17"), I integrated an amp channel switcher for Robben’s Dumble, so he would no longer have to use a footswitch off of the pedalboard to change channels on his amplifier and could save valuable space on stage.

I also introduced Robben to a few new pedals, cables, and interfacing ideas as did Michael Landau:

- Lovepedal COT 50 Lil’ China
- Tanabe Dumkudo
- Vertex Boost Prototype
- Vertex Axis Modified Wah
- Vertex Modified Volume Pedal
- Vertex Modified DL-4 Delay
- Vertex “Michael Landau” Modified Arion Chrous
- Vertex Prototype Instrument Cables
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
bluesfendermanblues

Re: New Robben Ford Pedal Board

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

Tom et al

I saw Robben tonight at Copenhagen Jazz Festival with the super group "Miles Smiles", http://jazz.dk/Program/Event/3087831

Line up:
Rick Margitza (s),
Wallace Roney (tp),
Robben Ford (g),
Joey DeFrancesco (tp, Hammond B3),
Darryl Jones (b),
Omar Hakim (dr)

All the music from the '67 album of the same title + 'Tutu' and 'Round Midnight' as extras. Standing ovation!!

Great, great, great show...with Robben in a primary supporting role only playing Clean solos with two (Rental) Fender Super Reverbs, his rosewood neck telecaster and the new pedal board.

Sorry for the poor pic quality, but it documents Robben's new pedal board used overseas - all the best
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
brentm

Post by brentm »

That's pretty highly customized!!!

Beyond all the "Vertex Modified" stuff, I'm interested in that Holy Grail reverb pedal. Had a hell of a time finding the right reverb pedal and I'm not all that happy with my Hardwire Reverb.

Some pretty serious mods to that Boss volume pedal... That Lovepedal COT 50 looks interesting... heard a Dumkudo from another forum member and wasn't all that impressed. I still really like my Abunai 2 for situations like that....
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

brentm wrote:That's pretty highly customized!!!

Beyond all the "Vertex Modified" stuff, I'm interested in that Holy Grail reverb pedal. Had a hell of a time finding the right reverb pedal and I'm not all that happy with my Hardwire Reverb.
Did you mean the TC Hall of Fame reverb pedal?

TM
brentm

Post by brentm »

ToneMerc wrote:
brentm wrote:That's pretty highly customized!!!

Did you mean the TC Hall of Fame reverb pedal?

TM
Ya.... Hall of Fame is what I meant. TC is top notch. Buddy has the Holy Grail and it needs a power cycle every time he uses it. I had one and the wall wart died. Took it back. Anyway. Good catch. Hall of Fame. Hall of Fame. Just because he has two on his board.
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

I have two Fuchs Plush reverb pedals that are the best I've heard. They blow Boss stuff out of the water - no comparison.
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
Structo

Post by Structo »

Thanks Claus!

I wonder why he stopped using the Dumbleator and TC 2290?
Tom

bluesfendermanblues

amplifiednation wrote:I have two Fuchs Plush reverb pedals that are the best I've heard. They blow Boss stuff out of the water - no comparison.
I believe Fuchs use simple IC's a la Belton reverb chips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Stacked IC's! :D
Tom

fltundra

Post by fltundra »

amplifiednation wrote:I have two Fuchs Plush reverb pedals that are the best I've heard. They blow Boss stuff out of the water - no comparison.
Ditto here!
amplifiednation

Post by amplifiednation »

bluesfendermanblues wrote:
I believe Fuchs use simple IC's a la Belton reverb chips.
my pedal doesn't have that cool white haze around the tube..
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
johan

Post by johan »

I prefer Robbens tone without all the effects.
Landau, sure but not Robben.

Missed the Miles Smiles gig in Copenhagen :(
How am I supposed to keep up with Robbens touring? I've registered to all Robben email lists known to man and check his site regularly.
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

johan wrote:I prefer Robbens tone without all the effects.
Landau, sure but not Robben.

Missed the Miles Smiles gig in Copenhagen :(
How am I supposed to keep up with Robbens touring? I've registered to all Robben email lists known to man and check his site regularly.
His facebook sometimes has his gigs on it.

http://www.facebook.com/RobbenFordOfficial
bluesfendermanblues

Structo wrote:Thanks Claus!

I wonder why he stopped using the Dumbleator and TC 2290?
@Tom
Well, he didn't bring the Dumbles to Copenhagen. He rarely does these days.

At the particular show at Copenhagen Jazz Festival on monday night, he used a couple of (rental) fender Super Reverbs, his tele and the new pedal board. He used clean sounds only and the wah wha pedal occationally.
We didn't hear any delay or chorus from the board. And as couple of times he adjusted the reverb on the Supers, so he probably used the fender reverb and didn't even use either of the two TC reverb pedals on the board. As always he his playing was very tastefull and it sound just like the clean sounds he gets out of his Dumble amp. In a blind test you wouldn't hear any difference. He sounds like Robben Ford no matter what gear he plays.

Regarding Dumbles, D-lator and 2290, I think he only use that setup in the US.....but, perhaps we have scared him away from his classic setup - with so many RF clones in the world, he could be seeking new gear territory :wink:
Structo

Post by Structo »

No, he didn't use the D'lator or 2290 at the show I saw.

He had a few pedals on the floor into the Dumble.

He was having connection problems near the end of the show.

I'm glad I saw him but he was very tired and was basically phoning it in.

I think it was his last gig of the tour.

It must be the way he attacks the strings with the pick that is responsible for his signature tone, because that Tele just about always sounds the same.
Tom