SSS 002 LAYOUT

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: SSS 002 LAYOUT

Post by Structo »

Do you guys want me to make a Sticky post of these in the Files section or do you want to wait until the design is ironed out some more?

The only thing I ask is that we keep the version numbers of the layouts and schematics current so that previous versions can be ignored as we get more data.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Tom - I would wait on the sticky until more finalization occurs. That way the sticky will be much more concise. We can put a link to this thread from the sticky so that readers can come here for more details.
talbany

Post by talbany »

We can put a link to this thread from the sticky so that readers can come here for more details.

I agree

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
goodtone77

Post by goodtone77 »

put me down for the kit list of interest ( chassis, boards etc...) a sss ,when it comes up, will jump to my next project.
toner

Post by toner »

this may be a dumb question, but how did dumble make those SSS boards? why not use leads to connect the eyelets like fender and the ODS? how was it done in the high plains drifter clone?
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

toner wrote:this may be a dumb question, but how did dumble make those SSS boards? why not use leads to connect the eyelets like fender and the ODS? how was it done in the high plains drifter clone?
Dumble made PCB's using Copper Clad PCB Board. G10-Garolite can be used with Eyelets too though.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Revised layout below. Please note this is unverified and has not been tested, yet :D

What I've done is, any values of the components that are different to the hand drawn schem are in blue. The BLUE values in the layout are suggested values that might be corrections to the schem.

I'm not saying this is an exact clone of the original SSS 002. I have only tried to draw up from the information that has been provided.

I haven't seen a full picture of SSS 002 chassis, so the positioning of the power supply is based on the chassis layout of SSS 004.

Thanks,
Aaron

EDIT:- NEW LAYOUT POSTED
Last edited by Aaron on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtomCap

re

Post by AtomCap »

big thanks again..
Max

Post by Max »

Some suggestions:

When the hand drawn schematic of SSS#002 was posted, AFAIR some members here posted that this schematic isn't correct. And AFAIR some of the members here suspecting this argued that this schematic shows some obvious design flaws contradicting what's known about tube amplifier technology. So IMO it might be very helpful if members suspecting this schematic to be full of mistakes might explain why they think so and might point out what they suspect to be wrong, just as markusw e.g. explained why he suspects the 100K LIN volume control to be wrong because the deep switch will not function as usual with a 100K LIN pot in the circuit.

The #002 schematic shows the Fender part numbers of the transformers. So these could perhaps be added in a way similar to the one shown in the layouts in the files section.

Perhaps the members here more familiar with tube amp technology than I am might be able to deduce the V1 - V7 tube compliment from the circuit details? If so, perhaps the tube compliment could be added, too.

On the attached picture of SSS #002 you can see that the yellow Atom filter capacitors have already been replaced by someone when this picture was taken.

Picture source: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 020#205020

Cheers and a great weekend to all here!

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Hello Everyone,

I won't be so bold as to suggest this could be an error, but I'd appreciate any and all comments on this:

I am curious about the voltage across V7 in the SSS #002 schematic. I don't see any reference to tube types in the schematic, so I will assume V7 is either a 12AT7 or a 12AX7 (although 12AU7 might be a reasonable choice). We have +379V on the anodes and -40.4V on the cathodes, which places a whopping 419.4V across the tube! The 12AT7 has a design limit maximum of 300V while the 12AX7 (and 12AU7) have a design limit max of 330V. Can this tube be expected to have a long service life?

Many thanks - this is an invaluable forum!
Lou
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Revised layout below,

Just a minor tweak to the filter input.

The layout is untested so assume it has errors.

Thanks,
Aaron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max

Post by Max »

Steel String Singer clip: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 208#221208

Cheers,

Max
bcmatt

Post by bcmatt »

So, how is progress coming on this? Are there particular parts of this last layout that are either quite definitive or highly doubted?

Has anyone tried building one?

I am particularly interested in #002 because I have a young friend that described it as his dream amp after researching tonnes of clips. He most likes John Mayer's SSS, as well as the Bludotone specifically.

It would be great if there was enough confidence in the schem and layout to get get us to the point where we could attempt it.
AtomCap

re

Post by AtomCap »

Aaron can you define the value of the multi can cap?
Aaron

Cap can value

Post by Aaron »

Hi AtomCap,

On the hand drawn schem, the 3 cap values were 20uF. I don't know if all 4 values are the same. The only ones I can get here are 40-20-20-20.
In SSS 002 it doesn't matter cause the fourth cap isn't used, but in SSS 001 it is used.
Does anybody know if the values are all 20uf's or 40-20-20-20uf's.

Thanks,
Aaron