GREAT Dumble being played w/Dumble cab

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

boldaslove6789

Re: GREAT Dumble being played w/Dumble cab

Post by boldaslove6789 »

There seems to be certain artifacts to the sound of this amp that make it great sounding, but I think it was probably voiced for an specific individual. Its just itchin to have the right player play through it.

Thanks for posting Jim...
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

boldaslove6789 wrote:There seems to be certain artifacts to the sound of this amp that make it great sounding, but I think it was probably voiced for an specific individual. Its just itchin to have the right player play through it.

Thanks for posting Jim...
Welcome bro! My HRM newly tweaked is close to this, esp w/my tele! Crunchy, violiny, and massive sustain! ( at a whisper) Cant hit it too hard , or it gets a tad greasy! lol! A lighter touch def required! I just gain it up, and use guitar vol, i get rhy crunch, then lead, and PAB, nor mid boost even required! Howz Texas treating you man, find a cool Tele out there yet??

jp
guitardude57

Post by guitardude57 »

I agree Greg... this must have been a build for a particular player and guitar. The blooming was not really there, nor the nice roundness.

I need to put some clips of my build up sometime. I can get blooming on the clean channel.
Mike

I am never surprised and always amazed
stratcat62

Post by stratcat62 »

That's at Guitar Exchange in Catonsville, MD. I played that Dumble, #115. According to Max, it's one of a pair of amps that are identical and voiced for a maple neck Strat player.

I played my rosewood Strat when I demo'd the amp. The clean channel wouldn't break up at all, even on 10. The overdrive sounded pretty good. It definitely had a lot of harmonic content and sounded great. I wasn't totally blown away by it though.
stevlech

Post by stevlech »

EDIT: found the answer to my question

So this is the sister amp to #123. Can anyone comment on the similarity or difference in tone between the two?
Dr d

Post by Dr d »

Thought sister to 123 was 124!
talbany

Post by talbany »

Dr d wrote:Thought sister to 123 was 124!
Nope

Both were made for the same customer
#115 and #123 look 100% identical and both are covered with grey suede and both have a matching 2x12 cabinet with 2 EVM 12S. You would not be able to tell both combinations apart from the front side. The only difference to tell them apart is the voltage selector on the back. Here is the picture of #115 with its cab http://www.gbase.com/gear/dumble-overdr ... dumbl-hold (check out the picture of the back of the amp),. On the back you see the voltage selector of #115. It has a grey plate and a round knob. #123 had a red Fender style voltage selector plate and a red Fender style voltage selector knob (like #040.) AFAIK #123 is still in Japan. The original owner of # 115 and #123 did sell #115 first because he liked #123 a bit better and then he sold #123 to someone in Europe. #123 then went to Japan in around 1997 or 98 and there it still is AFAIK.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=123

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 15&start=0

BTW.. I would think standing 3 ft away (in OD) and humbucker Pups @ speaker level he's not getting much acoustic coupling in the clip..Oh well.. Several years ago Bruce did mention that the amp had sat for some time and needed some minor maintenance caps etc.. and not sure if the tubes he had in it were worn or what..

T
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

talbany wrote:
Dr d wrote:Thought sister to 123 was 124!
Nope

Both were made for the same customer
#115 and #123 look 100% identical and both are covered with grey suede and both have a matching 2x12 cabinet with 2 EVM 12S. You would not be able to tell both combinations apart from the front side. The only difference to tell them apart is the voltage selector on the back. Here is the picture of #115 with its cab http://www.gbase.com/gear/dumble-overdr ... dumbl-hold (check out the picture of the back of the amp),. On the back you see the voltage selector of #115. It has a grey plate and a round knob. #123 had a red Fender style voltage selector plate and a red Fender style voltage selector knob (like #040.) AFAIK #123 is still in Japan. The original owner of # 115 and #123 did sell #115 first because he liked #123 a bit better and then he sold #123 to someone in Europe. #123 then went to Japan in around 1997 or 98 and there it still is AFAIK.

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=123

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 15&start=0

BTW.. I would think standing 3 ft away (in OD) and humbucker Pups @ speaker level he's not getting much acoustic coupling in the clip..Oh well.. Several years ago Bruce did mention that the amp had sat for some time and needed some minor maintenance caps etc.. and not sure if the tubes he had in it were worn or what..

T
use ta have a freind in cally who owned a RF DUNBLE version ( he was in Va Beach Va)( amp was UN FLIPPIN REAL FAT!!! He KNEW these amps very well, and could quote the major tweaks, he told me that it was very easy for these amps to have broken parts assy under the board, and unless you knew what was goin on, would never fig it out, plus fact not every client needs a SHOOT the moon amp, mine is quite close to that J Bober dumble being played in terms of saturation, and clarity, it will sustain forever, and slowly bloom, but plays itself, and in a band context, is INSANELY AWESOME...MOST ALL players who approach me @ sound are interested in a massive crunch for rhy parts, very few guitar players on the planet are VIRTUOSO SOLOIST like R Ford , lol!
talbany

Post by talbany »

J Bober dumble
Jim
Do you have a clip of Jeff's amp!
All The Best bro!

T
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

talbany wrote:
J Bober dumble
Jim
Do you have a clip of Jeff's amp!
All The Best bro!

T
he`s playing it in the last link @ halftimer..! Sounds like a everyone`s tom dick n harry ta me! Heck, PV makes a versatile amp too!~ My Lord not slammin him, but for god`s sake do something original PLS!
tag101

Post by tag101 »

That thing sounds great to me!! It makes that other amp sound horrid. :shock: Another killer Dumble!
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

tag101 wrote:That thing sounds great to me!! It makes that other amp sound horrid. :shock: Another killer Dumble!
Dang right man! All the best to Jeff Bober, but was he trying to clone it or what? Why EVEN put your amp up against that? NO contest.....