ODS #77 for auction

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

aflynt

ODS #77 for auction

Post by aflynt »

http://entertainment.ha.com/c/item.zx?s ... otNo=54225

Nice hi-rez pics of the front and back. No gutshots. Looks like somebody added an extra master.

-Aaron
Cantplay

Re: ODS #77 for auction

Post by Cantplay »

Good luck to them.

20k opening bid plus 25% buyers premium , and its busted.

John
briane

Post by briane »

and its busted.
and poorly modified if they put the master pot through the dumble logo.

maybe HAD will fix it for you for an extra 25k +-?
it really is a journey, and you just cant farm out the battle wounds
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Plus valve effects loop (dumbleator?)
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

looks to me that HAD modded it, look at the LOOP fonts above the send and return!
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

and its busted.
That allows it to stay vintage. Fixing it & having it actually work would probably dramatically lower the value of the amp.
:roll: :wink:

With respect, 10thtx
ampcrack

Post by ampcrack »

Hi everyone,

could somebody perhaps upload the high resolution pics of 77?

thanks alot.
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

High resolution images of the front and back of #77.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boldaslove6789

Post by boldaslove6789 »

Jeeze, couldn't even spring for some matching mini toggle switches.....

Guess this amp got a Skyline Update and an added Ratio control, maybe he changed out the Mini toggle when in for service/update? Hard to tell if HAD added the Extra Loop.... Its possible though, seems the orig owner had a consistent relationship with HAD so its possible (he past away and his widow had 2 ODS amps she was trying to sell for big $. Pretty sure the other was a 5th gen Blackface Skyline amp.
ampcrack

Post by ampcrack »

Hi aflynt,

thanks alot for the uploads!
Max

Post by Max »

groovtubin wrote:looks to me that HAD modded it, look at the LOOP fonts above the send and return!
Why do you think that Alexander Dumble added the small "in" and "out" switch and the red "in" and "out" and "send" and "return" script and not some other tech?
boldaslove6789 wrote:Guess this amp got a Skyline Update and an added Ratio control.
Greg, why do you assume a Skyline update? And why do you think that this amp hasn't been originally built with the "ratio" control on the front but that the "ratio" control on the front has been added at some later point?
talbany

Post by talbany »

Max wrote:
groovtubin wrote:looks to me that HAD modded it, look at the LOOP fonts above the send and return!
Why do you think that Alexander Dumble added the small "in" and "out" switch and the red "in" and "out" and "send" and "return" script and not some other tech?
boldaslove6789 wrote:Guess this amp got a Skyline Update and an added Ratio control.
Greg, why do you assume a Skyline update? And why do you think that this amp hasn't been originally built with the "ratio" control on the front but that the "ratio" control on the front has been added at some later point?
Max
Wasn't #075 a transition generation amp and one of the first to get the Ratio control installed (on Back)..Also I assume the control on the back of 077 is the OD trigger or possibly fet gain control..Do you know which?

http://www.audities.org/audities/collec ... ive_a.html

Therefore this would make some sense shortly after 075 was modded to Steve's liking that he began installing them on the front correct :D
The bright switch was more than likely failed and replaced..
BTW..The red toggle switches look stock..If a skyliner update was done he would have most likely changed the deep on the front, unless he had another red toggle in his drawer..

Have a Great one!!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Max

Post by Max »

talbany wrote:Wasn't #075 a transition generation amp and one of the first to get the Ratio control installed (on Back)..
Tony, the ODS #0075 of Steve Farris is indeed a "transition generation" ODS with a ratio control and a presence control and reportedly with a "classic" tone stack and a" standard" OD circuit with the trigger entrance. According to Andy Brauer's eBay description (see Rob Livesey's page) when he sold the amp on behalf of Steve Farris # 0075 seems to be the first ODS built with a ratio control. The ratio control of #0075 is placed on the back and the full grown presence control is on the front. Because of the ratio control on the back of #0075 the loop of #0075 is a stereo jack.
Also I assume the control on the back of 077 is the OD trigger or possibly fet gain control..Do you know which?
No, I don't know this for sure. But of course these are two possibilities in regard to the function of the control with the (unusual on a Dumble) Fender style knob on the back of #0077. Another possibility might be that it's some control related to what might be a buffered loop (4 preamp tubes).
Therefore this would make some sense shortly after 075 was modded to Steve's liking that he began installing them on the front correct :D
I'm not sure if the ratio control of #0075 was one of the (many) custom mods of #0075 Steve Farris asked for when buying it and/or while he owned it, or if the ratio control was an idea Alexander Dumble himself came up with. AFAIR right now all the other transition generation amps - including #0077 - have the ratio control on the front - but many of the other transition generation amps don't have a (small or large) presence control but still an accent switch - just like #0077.
The bright switch was more than likely failed and replaced..
Yes, most probably.
BTW..The red toggle switches look stock.
At least you'll find them on many Dumble amps from the same period.

All the best,

Max
talbany

Post by talbany »

Thanks Max!!

Have a Good one!!

T
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
tjauernig

Post by tjauernig »

I worked with Kimbo from 2007 to 2010. We were both at Peavey. He was a sales rep, and I was the head designer in the custom amp shop at the time. I played this amp several times. (as well as the ODS head he had) All the mods were done by Dumble in an effort to get this amp closer to the sound of the head. It never quite got there. Kimbo did not particularily like this amp. The head was incredible though. (I've posted about the head in the past)
T. Jauernig