Eric Clapton Dumble - pic included

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jelle

Re: Eric Clapton Dumble - pic included

Post by jelle »

vibratoking wrote:So, is there a second master on that amp? If so, where is it?
Hi, the HRM amps have separate masters, see the schematics in the files section. The OD master is where the old OD ratio control was, the clean master is where the old overall master was. So all controls are still on the front panel.

One interesting detail is that the clean master has often has a hardwired bright cap, and since the clean master volume is attached to the OD entrance, this bright cap becomes part of a low pass filter if the clean master is set to 0. This is something that would fit with the tone we are accustomed to hearing from Mr. Clapton.
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I've seen the schematics. I guess I was too lazy to figure out where the second master was physically located. So the front panel markings are incorrect. Interesting and good to know about the hardwired bright cap. I like my non-HRM enough to have never bothered with the HRM.
tubesinside

Post by tubesinside »

Hey Guys, I took that pic...I was lucky enough to get a half an hour backstage before the gig chatting to the guitar techs and a couple of the musicians (not EC). Anyway, The master was turned down until he came on stage then turned up to about 1 O Clock. I think he used the OD channel all evening with the drive and gain setting as shown until the last few numbers when he seemed to adjust the drive (upwards) on a few occasions. The sound was just right...light crunch and touch sensitive until he dug in and then the full character of the ODS came in. From the tone...I think it sounds like a Skyliner EQ version...had that smooth high end. (I've built two ODS Skyliner) I was cheeky enough to get the front on shot but back of amp was out of bounds. Guitar tech confirmed the purchase price...forgot to ask him which version...sorry...
No gain...no pain!
alvarezh

Post by alvarezh »

Did you, by any chance, got a look at the serial number?

Sorry, I see you could not see the back. But maybe you asked?

Thanks for the pict.
Horacio

Play in tune and B#!
tubesinside

Post by tubesinside »

Sorry. No further details. I was like a kid in a toy store looking at everything else.
No gain...no pain!
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

tubesinside wrote:Sorry. No further details. I was like a kid in a toy store looking at everything else.
;-)
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
talbany

Post by talbany »

I doubt seriously EC is actually there during a sound check.. :lol:
All the monitors are checked for him by someone he trusts and probably walks on stage plays a few notes sets his levels and off he goes!!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
catears

Post by catears »

talbany wrote:I doubt seriously EC is actually there during a sound check.. :lol:
All the monitors are checked for him by someone he trusts and probably walks on stage plays a few notes sets his levels and off he goes!!

Tony
Live Nation having someone contracted for several hundred thousand dollars a night to play an arena, you can bet your left pinky toe he's running at least 2 tunes on stage with full band to be finished 90 minutes before the doors open to the public. For the set up, monitor and line check, I would highly doubt that too. But I have never seen anyone not on stage for their own sound check.
talbany

Post by talbany »

catears wrote:
talbany wrote:I doubt seriously EC is actually there during a sound check.. :lol:

Tony
Live Nation having someone contracted for several hundred thousand dollars a night to play an arena, you can bet your left pinky toe he's running at least 2 tunes on stage with full band to be finished 90 minutes before the doors open to the public. For the set up, monitor and line check, I would highly doubt that too. But I have never seen anyone not on stage for their own sound check.
Iv'e worked with just about all the big name country and some rock acts (for Live Nation) and have never seen the star there at sound check (accept for Brad Paisley) but his rig is rather complex and he is very picky when it comes to tone!!..It's usually just the band...My guess is he might do a check if they want to work in a new number or if EC is already there and felt like it..
Sound checks in Sheds and Arenas are always around 2;30 then the warm up band at 4.. Stage clear no later than 6

A man worth an estimated 128 Million pounds travels by air and Limo's and stays in 5 star hotels..Not a tour bus scheduled to be at the venue at 2'30 for a sound check.. :lol:

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Sat May 11, 2013 4:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
alvarezh

Post by alvarezh »

All set, the man shows up, no count down and away he goes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grBmQwLSlDw

Have a good week en guys.
Horacio

Play in tune and B#!
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

alvarezh wrote:All set, the man shows up, no count down and away he goes!

Always loved Stevie more when he was leaning towards the Albert King influence, rather than the Jimi influence. He extended Albert's style, but only copied Jimi's, IMHO.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
catears

Post by catears »

talbany wrote:
catears wrote:

Tony
Iv'e worked with just about all the big name country and some rock acts (for Live Nation) and have never seen the star there at sound check (accept for Brad Paisley) but his rig is rather complex and he is very picky when it comes to tone!!..It's usually just the band...My guess is he might do a check if they want to work in a new number or if EC is already there and felt like it..
Sound checks in Sheds and Arenas are always around 2;30 then the warm up band at 4.. Stage clear no later than 6

A man worth an estimated 128 Million pounds travels by air and Limo's and stays in 5 star hotels..Not a tour bus scheduled to be at the venue at 2'30 for a sound check.. :lol:

Tony

You work for live nation? I'm confused by the opening of your post. I'm sure through your line of work that you've dealt with all of those people. I completely respect you for your work, please don't think any different. I also don't have to drop brad paisley or someone like rick derringers name on a public forum to prove this point, and feel free to call me any type of name for doing so. You mentioned monitors in a previous post, maybe we are at a debate over terminology alone here and can look past it. I'm not talking about carrying gear in to the venue, setting it up, running line or mic or monitor checks, just to be upfront.

I don't know Eric Clapton, and have I ever been nor would I go to any of his shows. I have never seen his production agreements, so I can't say "I know for a fact..". What I do know is that any company worth 5 billion dollars is going to have in their contract that the product meet demands of their customers. To them, Eric Clapton is not some guy that Hendrix killed in the 60's, he is ultimately a product to generate money for their business. Yes, I'm sure he travels and lives first class, most wealthy people do. Live nation isn't going to let anyone walk on stage in front of tens of thousands of people without making sure he is healthy, comfortable, and able enough to perform that evening. I'm not going on a hunch here. Most of the acts generally do 2 numbers full band, rock star and all, I've seen a handful go 3 or 4. Last Live Nation show I had the privilege of attending as a guest/all access was the 5th night of an 8 show run at an arena in New York. The rock star, or whatever you would call him, was sure as anything on stage for 2 numbers at the sound check, this was after rehearsing with the band in the practice basketball court underneath the arena before most of the crew even showed up to do their job that night. He might be half Claptons age, and worth almost 3 times as much as the number you provided, and had his own dressing room/didn't mingle with the rest of the band back stage, but those things have nothing to do with being contracted to perform optimally. I thought it kind of funny too, they have digital consoles with full recall, nothing was taken down or set up, why the need for a full blow sound check, especially after 4 nights of shows? The contract said so. Worst case scenario- they want to find out if they have to cancel the show before the doors open, not when the artist takes the stage.

To say he doesn't have to do a sound check because he's famous and worth money would be like saying Peyton Manning doesn't have to throw a football before a game, someone just tells him that the football works and the grass is green after he arrives in his limo from the 5 star hotel and performs in front of 60,000 fans. That's not how these things work. It's ok to live in a fantasy land when listening to records, perhaps with thoughts that the guy playing guitar is from outerspace if you'd like, but he still has to work for money if he wants more of it, all while having to abide by the terms of those handing him said money.

From my experience with actually working under signed agreements with Live Nation, the contract all said the same thing every time, hard cut off for stage noise 90 minutes prior to door time. Some artists dont tour with a 'warm up' band, not everyone has the same stage, and 7:30 isn't a standard door time, at least as far as I know it's not. Not really sure where those specific times come from?

I hope that doesn't come off too harsh, and I don't have intentions of escalating this debate with this post. You could reply with some more specific points that fluctuate on a nightly basis while dropping names, sit back and chuckle to yourself that you are right and ignore me, either of those would be fine. You could also type in something like Eric Clapton sound check into your google bar and show everyone how wrong I am when?

Again, I have much respect for you and your work Tony. If it was HAD himself saying 'rock stars dont sound check', I would type the same response.
rogb

Post by rogb »

That is awesome ! Thank you.
B

Post by B »

This is one of my all time fav SRV videos, I really feel like this is just about the point his life was really off track.

This video has always made me a little somber.
~Chris
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

catears wrote:
talbany wrote:
catears wrote: Live Nation having someone contracted for several hundred thousand dollars a night to play an arena, you can bet your left pinky toe he's running at least 2 tunes on stage with full band to be finished 90 minutes before the doors open to the public. For the set up, monitor and line check, I would highly doubt that too. But I have never seen anyone not on stage for their own sound check.

Tony

You work for live nation? I'm confused by the opening of your post. I'm sure through your line of work that you've dealt with all of those people. I completely respect you for your work, please don't think any different. I also don't have to drop brad paisley or someone like rick derringers name on a public forum to prove this point, and feel free to call me any type of name for doing so. You mentioned monitors in a previous post, maybe we are at a debate over terminology alone here and can look past it. I'm not talking about carrying gear in to the venue, setting it up, running line or mic or monitor checks, just to be upfront.

I don't know Eric Clapton, and have I ever been nor would I go to any of his shows. I have never seen his production agreements, so I can't say "I know for a fact..". What I do know is that any company worth 5 billion dollars is going to have in their contract that the product meet demands of their customers. To them, Eric Clapton is not some guy that Hendrix killed in the 60's, he is ultimately a product to generate money for their business. Yes, I'm sure he travels and lives first class, most wealthy people do. Live nation isn't going to let anyone walk on stage in front of tens of thousands of people without making sure he is healthy, comfortable, and able enough to perform that evening. I'm not going on a hunch here. Most of the acts generally do 2 numbers full band, rock star and all, I've seen a handful go 3 or 4. Last Live Nation show I had the privilege of attending as a guest/all access was the 5th night of an 8 show run at an arena in New York. The rock star, or whatever you would call him, was sure as anything on stage for 2 numbers at the sound check, this was after rehearsing with the band in the practice basketball court underneath the arena before most of the crew even showed up to do their job that night. He might be half Claptons age, and worth almost 3 times as much as the number you provided, and had his own dressing room/didn't mingle with the rest of the band back stage, but those things have nothing to do with being contracted to perform optimally. I thought it kind of funny too, they have digital consoles with full recall, nothing was taken down or set up, why the need for a full blow sound check, especially after 4 nights of shows? The contract said so. Worst case scenario- they want to find out if they have to cancel the show before the doors open, not when the artist takes the stage.

To say he doesn't have to do a sound check because he's famous and worth money would be like saying Peyton Manning doesn't have to throw a football before a game, someone just tells him that the football works and the grass is green after he arrives in his limo from the 5 star hotel and performs in front of 60,000 fans. That's not how these things work. It's ok to live in a fantasy land when listening to records, perhaps with thoughts that the guy playing guitar is from outerspace if you'd like, but he still has to work for money if he wants more of it, all while having to abide by the terms of those handing him said money.

From my experience with actually working under signed agreements with Live Nation, the contract all said the same thing every time, hard cut off for stage noise 90 minutes prior to door time. Some artists dont tour with a 'warm up' band, not everyone has the same stage, and 7:30 isn't a standard door time, at least as far as I know it's not. Not really sure where those specific times come from?

I hope that doesn't come off too harsh, and I don't have intentions of escalating this debate with this post. You could reply with some more specific points that fluctuate on a nightly basis while dropping names, sit back and chuckle to yourself that you are right and ignore me, either of those would be fine. You could also type in something like Eric Clapton sound check into your google bar and show everyone how wrong I am when?

Again, I have much respect for you and your work Tony. If it was HAD himself saying 'rock stars dont sound check', I would type the same response.
Deleted - not worth a comment.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)