Anodized front panel for ODS

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

audiomatic

Re: Anodized front panel for ODS

Post by audiomatic »

Sven wrote:
audiomatic wrote:Don't second guess your asthetics, that is a killer chassis/faceplate. Everyone will have an opinion, if you like it that is all that matters. Don't let the opinions of a few have you second guess those chassis, these are the same guys that would have pissed their pants for a chassis that nice looking 5-6 years ago. Enjoy it.
I think your etched aluminum faces are great too.
I did some annodized chassis about 4 years ago and had them laser engraved. They look great, the letter will never come off. Plexiglass cracks, scratches, clouds up.....your chassis should look great for a lot of years.

Good luck on your build.
However, the above commentary, rude commentary, ... is one of the most arrogant interventions, one of the worst ATTITUDES I have seen on this forum.
Sorry you find my positive, supportive comments of his chassis and design so offensive. :roll: I was supporting him, not attacking you......lighten up.
Tonegeek

Post by Tonegeek »

It looks like you are doing your own thing, rather than going for exact repro. Go for it! The originals were short in the looks department, although exact repros have their place too (especially if they also sound like the original :lol: ). I think you are on a good track. Your panel looks great, functional, and sturdy. Number size, no numbers, whatever - makes no difference except you might consider can you see the settings on a dark stage in which case bigger might be better. To follow up on one thing Heisthl was saying: Makes sure whatever pots you use will be long enough to fit through the faceplate and the chassis and still take the nut (unless you bore the faceplate larger as he suggests).
Pitcher Amplification
http://pitcheramps.com
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Sven, I am among those who apparently think that YOU are a little over the top with respect to being RUDE in your assessment. You made your point - you don't care to use such a face plate on your amps. That's cool. You don't like the particular numbering scheme. Again, fine. Are numbers rather arbitrary in the first place? I have to laugh that you then draw in someone else's rebuild of a real Dumble and trash that too. Thanks! :lol:

I happen to really like the idea of a hard anodized faceplate - once you have the graphics you like, they are there to stay.

Maybe it's a transatlantic interpretation kind of issue, but when someone asks for criticism, it is not an invitation to clear your whole kitchen counter of rotting fruit in one throw. Save some for the next guy. ;)

Might you have an example of something you like that you can share?
Sven

Post by Sven »

The man asked for people's opinion, and he got some. The man stood up to it, and walked away with perhaps some ideas that he migh or that he might not use in his finetuning of his face plate.

But, some people cannot give permission for open and free expression of one's thoughts and ideas about a particular concept and go around insulting participants (like yours truly) for freely voicing his opinion (that, if it really matters, has some serious merits and points).

To the original poster many thanks for ¨hearing me out¨. Let us hope it helps.

I don't know, I have been shot at by anti-aircraft machine guns, so I really do not give a rdamn about some wimps who cannot read a bit harder critique about aluminum face plate. Grow up!

Sven
nickt

Panel height

Post by nickt »

RJ - like your panel. Especially the "old joke" :lol: One question and one suggestion:

Q: is the panel higher than the chassis? was this deliberate? (ok - two questions)

S: I know space is tight but a logo instead of the switch would look good - er... well if you have a logo that is :wink:

Glad you've got a pal who can help with this stuff

Good luck!
audiomatic

Post by audiomatic »

Sven wrote: I don't know, I have been shot at by anti-aircraft machine guns, so I really do not give a rdamn about some wimps who cannot read a bit harder critique about aluminum face plate. Grow up!

Sven
Sven,
You obviously have a chip on your shoulder and are paranoid that people are attacking you. This isn't about you or your 'critique of his 'failures''. If you don't like dots to represent number 8,9,10 on a dial, that is cool. Others here don't seem to agree with you, which you take as an attack with responses like, "Grow Up!". People are just supporting the guys creative design, there isn't a right or wrong way to do it.
You need to take a step back, maybe the anti-aircraft guns got to you. It is just an amp chassis. Take a deep breath and relax a little.

RJ,
When do you plan to start the amp? Have you picked a schematic or transformer set yet?
Can't wait to see the photos as it comes along.
Last edited by audiomatic on Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

I like the design of this front panel - and i.e. Fender control knobs always were beginning at '1', never at '0' :wink:

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

audiomatic wrote: RJ,
When do you plan to start the amp? Have you picked a schematic or transformer set yet?
Can't wait to see the photos as it comes along.
I am hopeful to get going on this and a few others as winter projects. My wife has a notion that I'll be laying some wood flooring in the near future... so I don't figure I'll get any amp work done until that is over.

Right now I have an old 325-0-325 volt Stancor Power Tranny and a Hammond OPT... nothing mounted or firmly decided - what do you think?

I read Dogears and a few others comment on the great tone from clones using 6L6GC's, so I'm inclined to give that a try.

I'll probably follow the D_Lite schematic - I'd sure like to hear some suggestions of anything that will work with the faceplate I've got.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Sven

Post by Sven »

Greetings,

Would people in the furute do a favor to SOME of the readers (and occasional participants) of this Forum, not to ask for opinions about their projects, designs, graphical and aesthetic ideas ... since it is painfully obvious that anyone who does not give flattering, praising, ¨encouraging¨ (is that a word from psycho theraphy group sessions?) evaluation, opinion, ... and since anyone who DARES to declare a presented idea a failure or just poor taste or just technically illogical or at least not as elegant as it could be done -- is going to confront a lynching mob mentality and a lots of insults.

OK, do your plates any which way you darn please. Just do not ask for opinions, since (not the original poster, fortunately) some mean people are going to launch a lynching mob frenzy, that hardly justifies the free speech that I encounter on some other forums (that deal with topics much more inflamatory than the stinking anodized plate).

To all who have met my WELL INTENDED words to help the original poster make a better and more pleasing amp for himself, with an avalanche of insults -- I declare that your mean spirited, insulting mobbing has achieved its goal of destruction of free speech, free exchange of ideas ...

I shall not give a diddly squat about any such requests.

Are you happy now.

For two decades that I lived in the USA, I have learned what it is all about. Thank you, but no thanik you. And a good American car bumper sticker, for the closing remarks: ¨Mean people suck!¨

For the original poster, only my words of encouragement for his project, with a hope he makes a better Front plate for his amplifier than the one he presented (oh, so bravely) to this forum.

Sven
audiomatic

Post by audiomatic »

RJ Guitars wrote:
Right now I have an old 325-0-325 volt Stancor Power Tranny and a Hammond OPT... nothing mounted or firmly decided - what do you think?

I read Dogears and a few others comment on the great tone from clones using 6L6GC's, so I'm inclined to give that a try.

I'll probably follow the D_Lite schematic - I'd sure like to hear some suggestions of anything that will work with the faceplate I've got.

rj
Sounds like a good plan, the transformer should work fine and the 6L6GC's are good tubes for the project. There are lots of schematics and ways to work the amp with your faceplate, that won't be an issue for you.

Good luck with the floors, that sounds like a fun project too. I did ours a few years back......get the pneumatic nailer, it is the ONLY way to do the job. You will go nuts if you try a manual nailer.
RJ Guitars

looking at a non-HRM build

Post by RJ Guitars »

Thank You all - I'm pleased with all who add to this project...

I'm thick skinned and unafraid to learn... I'm also passive aggressive and while I'll hear anything that's said, it takes a lot for me to change my direction...

I still see a lot of humor in this video clip - While it's mindless, it's one great inspiration to me. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akaD9v460yI

You guys are all good...

----

I'm looking forward to moving on with the sorting out of the technical aspects of this new amp.

I read up a little more last night and I think the non-HRM is more my flavor, so the first one will be probably be a non-HRM...

I'm also leaning toward a combo? My regular gig is always the same time and place and I can leave the amp in place so I'm not worried about carrying around a combo.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

First of all Sven, RJ didn't ask for a critique on his faceplate, he asked for pointers on building an amp deserving of his faceplate (Which IMHO is just fine, and well built).

If you're so fast to point out "Failures" in someone elses work Let's put your head on the chopping Block and see what you build, I'm sure I can come up with QUITE A FEW of your "Failures."

And before you make a request of all the members of this board to do you any favors, you really should CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING USEFUL, and not just dog someone elses hard work. :evil:
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Sven

Post by Sven »

The comment served for making the point to Mr. Funk, and than I think it should be removed (design files of bass horn are not for public use).

All the best.

Sven
Last edited by Sven on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Sven,

I'm not out to argue, I like that 99.9% of the time we all get along even if we don't see eye to eye. That being said, RJ's design was not something he intended for mass market, but a whimsical and fun approach at a faceplate.

If I were asking for comments on a faceplate that was intended for mass market I think comments like yours would be accepted and appreciated, but I don't think this was a situation that required such a harsh critique.

Most of us are here as hobbyists and DIY builders, tone chasers and basement Mad Scientists, and I think RJ was doing something cool and different, and he obviously likes the way it came out, or he wouldn't have posted it.

Is the "It goes to 11" joke old? Yes, but so is the Monty pithon reference "King of the britains" by menatone with a depiction of a swallow carrying a coconut, the point is, some of us like a bit of cheese here and there, and the idea is to take your Job seriously, your passion seriously, but please don't take yourself seriously!

Let's all play nice now!!

So Sven, nice cabs, ever built an amp?
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
Sven

Post by Sven »

Useful? Well, this thread was supposed to be about DESIGN of audio, elcetroacoustic enclosures, valve amp. face plates ... etc. and such equipment. And, as one gentleman that I respect greatly, Mr. Alan Stewart, the man who designed ¨Electric Lady Land¨ studio (Jimi Hendrix recordings, etc. ...), states in his motto ¨You cannot simulate experience, you must undergo it¨

Wait, just a minute ... OK, in my files I just now found one picture of Fender 5B3 that I built recently, after which I got interested to build a Dumble style amp as well. This is my own handwork ... notice ¨Iskra¨ NOS caps etc. That is from Slovenian police stock supplies from 1960's (¨Iskra¨ made passive components for ¨Marshall¨, for the best sound!). This amp sounds amazing.

Here is a picture. Anyway, Mr. Funk, let us hope for a better thread than this one next time.

Sven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.