TWO ROCK EMERALD PRO REVISITED 5 years later

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aaron

Re: TWO ROCK EMERALD PRO REVISITED 5 years later

Post by Aaron »

Help me understand something, Two Rock have had access to the most desirable Dumbles. It has been mentioned countless times how important "lead dress" and "layout" is to Dumble tone, yet their amps seem to go against every rule that is mentioned on this forum.
How???
Why???
tag101 wrote:In any case, this amp kills. better than Dumble cleans, and OD that while a bit different than 183 and some other Dumbles, can easily hold its own with any of the 12 Dumbles I have played. What a killer, killer amp. TwoRock got it right back in 2001 IMO.
I'm not bagging Two Rock or tag, but, how can their amps have "that" sound looking like that.

Aaron
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Aaron,

When I first saw that photo, I presumed it was a spoof & wasn't a Two Rock? I don't mean that disrespectfully, that's honestly what I thought.

So, I googled Two Rock chassis photo and found this:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=849218

With respect, 10thtx
bluesy

Post by bluesy »

Here's Emmy Pro #257; the OP amp. Just as I received it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No More Free Hooks.
jazbo8

Post by jazbo8 »

Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Yeah, those early ones are some very amateur looking builds. I'd bet they got away with it, charging what they did (And still do), because the internet wasn't quite what it is today. I would've been really pissed if I bought one new and took a gander inside... :shock: :evil:
tubedogsmith

Post by tubedogsmith »

I've done minor repairs to a couple of them and like the Bruno's if you never opened it up you would probably be pretty happy with the amps as a player.
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

I've owned a ton of Two Rocks. I had some that looked like crap inside and sounded like heaven and I had others that looked great inside (look at their modern builds) and sound like crap. As much as lead dress is a religion around here, it isn't everything. That being said, sounding like heaven and looking like art is where I want to be for $5k amps.
AtomCap

re

Post by AtomCap »

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=15

posted some emerald pro pics there too-

amazing what left the door in that place...
serious lack of build quality there, they went the distance to drill their own boards but not a minute to lead dress or wire tie..

kudos to them for getting $5k pricetags on $900 amps..
mhartman

Post by mhartman »

To be fair, the new stuff looks much nicer. This is the inside of a Crystal 100, which is their updated JM amp. You've got to love the hearts in the signature and the crystal lattice pic on the preamp board! These builds are obviously more in-line with our standards around here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Decko

AAahhhh...

Post by Decko »

mhartman wrote:To be fair, the new stuff looks much nicer. This is the inside of a Crystal 100, which is their updated JM amp. You've got to love the hearts in the signature and the crystal lattice pic on the preamp board! These builds are obviously more in-line with our standards around here.
That is too cute. :P
tag101

Post by tag101 »

Blackburn wrote:That clip sounds great! What speaker(s) are you using there?

DK

Thanks! Its a Mesa 4/12 with celestion G12h30s. Back in 2000-2001 when I first rented the Dumbles at Ultrasound and compared with the Emerald Pros and bruno Super 100s, I tried all kinds of cabs, including the Dumble 2/12 they had. My favorite cab if i remember correctly was the mini 4/12 Bruno cab, but it was a 3-4 month order, and I had nothing to play the emmy through. I tried Bogners and marshalls and VHTs and the Dumble cab and all kinds of others they had, but after the Bruno, I liked this Mesa 4/12 with the G12H30s. Its still my favorite speaker cab with all of the D clones and the Dumble I owned. :)
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
tag101

Post by tag101 »

vibratoking wrote:It's like every amp is the best one you've ever heard/had. OMFG!, it's the amp of the week, month, year, semi-decade, etc... You lost your credibility with your conflicting opinions and remarks. You took away my ability to believe in your opinion quite a long time ago. Your ability to contradict yourself in public is actually quite disturbing. You have become a parody of yourself! Don't let that parody become a self-fulfilling prophecy...wait too much water under that bridge already. How bout you really offer some useful input and draw up the schematic for that sucker? Now that'd be something that the members here would consider interesting. Yes, we've heard it before...you are too honest to ever do something like that. Yet, you'll pay someone to reverse engineer an amp so they can let the cat out of the bag. It's all so hypocritical. If someone told me your story, I wouldn't believe it. But then again, no one could make this shit up. Yes, I am already aware that I can ignore your posts. But with you, it's like trying to turn your head from a car wreck. There's just too much sick fun watching you crash and burn. They should make you a character in Grand Theft Ampo. But please keep posting each time you find the best amp ever, cause this place gets boring sometimes.
Hey Vibro,
Now relax and stop having such a hissy fit! :wink: I have been raving about the emerald pro since they first came out! :D I said it sounded pretty much as good as the Dumbles I rented back then, and it still does today! AND, I said it had better cleans than ANY Dumble I have played, and it still does!........

I will post some pics of the inside for you when I adjust the HRM. It sounds even better now, as I just dropped in some Telefunkens and Mullards. .......

I cloned my Dumble yes, but it was after I sold it that the NEW owner sent pics to some builders, NOT me! I had nothing to do with it, and BEGGED the new owner not to send pics out when I heard he might......

Now really, do you have THAT little self control that you can not avoid my posts? me thinks you read them because you KNOW I call it how I hear it, and ALWAYS post clips to back up what I say, and or let others hear it and decide for themselves. I dont care how much you hate my posts. Plug into this emmy and you will have a huge smile on your face, and that immature tatrum of yours will leave you very quickly!! THATS what its all about, having fun while you play! VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD!!!
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
tag101

Post by tag101 »

bluesy wrote:Here's Emmy Pro #257; the OP amp. Just as I received it.

THERE IT IS!!!! :D The reverb on it is AMAZING. Eats up my Super reverbs! :shock:
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!
Structo

Post by Structo »

Those rough looking Two Rocks were prototypes.

Big thread over at TGP about them.

It's my opinion that those amps should not be sold.

But if you can get $3,500 for a proto, I can see the temptation.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
talbany

Post by talbany »

We used to get offers all the time for our Protos.. :lol:

Most people wanted the protos because they thought it was something unique and more rare (some were)..Some were a little rough inside and some were not...Either way I never felt comfortable sending those out in the field because those amps were never your best work..Some of those amps actually sounded and performed perfectly so I took all of them home with me..One of the perks of owning an amp company.. 8) Keeping Protos!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"