different dumble models, basic knowledge and descriptions

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rhinson

different dumble models, basic knowledge and descriptions

Post by rhinson »

hello there, since this forum is new, i think those in the forum that maybe have some dumble insight should start the forum out with a basic description of what each of the models are (if this info is known). the overdrive special is the only one i've ever heard get any play on the web from a schematic or descriptive standpoint. are all the amps (simply put) multigain stage channel switchers with lots of tonal shaping options or are some more simple in circuit topography like the wrecks we know and love? what is a steel string singer for instance------how is it different from the ods? i think we should start out with some basic descriptions from all the known models. anyone have any info or opinions on this? rh
Funkalicousgroove

Re: different dumble models, basic knowledge and descriptions

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

I know that the ODS is the only Channel Switcher. There is very little info about the SSS, but here's what I know:

100 Watts, Same basic preamp as the clean channel of the ODS, same Rock/Jazz, Bright, Deep Switches. The SSS has A Hi and Lo Shelving Filter (from what I can get out of the guys at two rock it incorporates parts that are No longer made). From what I've heard these amps have a special "circulating" power setup but I don't know what it is since there are like 5-10 of these in existence, they are also said to have MANY local feedback loops to make it "Sing." Larry Carlton says that the SSS is much more "Raw" sounding than the ODS, I think it has a very stiff power supply so it responds much more quickly. The SSS also Comprises a 3 Tube Reverb section. From what I understand it's Loud, Clean, and Jangly.

The SSS was the amp of choice for Stevie Ray Vaughan for quite some time, he had 2 of them.

Eric Johnson's "Total Electric Guitar" hotlicks video is a good demonstration of the tone of the SSS amps, and her refers to it as being "Like a high-power twin" he played one for a while but when it broke his techs couldn't fix it so he sold it.

The Dumbleland and 300SL are Based on the SVT with the Dumble Preamp section.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
toddyjoe

Post by toddyjoe »

A lot of the clean David Lindley work on the early El Rayo-X albums is supposed to be a SSS. Regardless if that is accurate or not, those are some nice clean tones.
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Wouldn't surprise me a bit, I think Those two are pretty good friends.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

http://blueguitar.org/new/pix/sss12ax7.jpg

What can you guys tell me about this photo? Is the SSS built on a PCB?

http://blueguitar.org/new/pix/had.jpg

Is this the guts of an SSS? I've never seen any Dumble with two parallel circuit boards like that!
glasman

Post by glasman »

oldmacman wrote:http://blueguitar.org/new/pix/sss12ax7.jpg

What can you guys tell me about this photo? Is the SSS built on a PCB?

http://blueguitar.org/new/pix/had.jpg

Is this the guts of an SSS? I've never seen any Dumble with two parallel circuit boards like that!

Never seen the first picture before, but there are definately a few characteristic HAD things on that board.

I have a few pictures of the Mystic SSS rip and I will have to check to see if it was built on two boards.

Gary
Last edited by glasman on Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Located in the St Croix River Valley- Afton, MN
About 5 miles south of I-94
aka K0GWA, K0 Glas Werks Amplification

www.glaswerks.com
Bear

Post by Bear »

So for someone new to Dumbles, what is the general approach to design and tone extraction? At first glance, the ODS schemes look like souped up preamps on a BF Fender power section. What about the approach distinguishes from, say, a Boogie Mk.I?

Not trying to be inflamatory at all - I just want to know what's going on with these guys.

Bear
pedro

Post by pedro »

I'm no techie , but from what I see a boogie runs a hot front end into the standard pre-amp, whereas a dumble style pre amp runs a clean preamp into the OD section. i.e. the OD comes after the standard tone is established and ADDS to it - rather than drives the standard fender preamp by pushing it hard at the front end.

Not a very empirical description but it kinda sums it up I think.

Boogie tones sound "squashed" to me - Dumble sound is "OPEN"

The more experienced guys will chime in I'm sure - I'm only a guitar player who builds as a hobby.

cheers
Pete
Bear

Post by Bear »

My understanding was that a Boogie has the extra gain stage backwards of the normal Marshall-style high gain machine, where the extra gain is post volume and eq, which is basically what I'm seeing on the schem's for the ODS.

The one thing that I had read, I think in that old GP article, is that rather than getting all the gain at once, HAD designed the amp so every stage is giving a bit of extra gain. I can see this careful approach leading to a very different result than a different topology that gets all its gain by clipping one preamp stage hard.

Bear
Bear

Post by Bear »

So what tends to be known about component selection? Looks like lots of Orange Drops. (Anyone know which flavor?) Atoms as the supply 'lytics as a rule?
Do we know what iron he uses? His GP interview makes me think he goes for full bandwidth iron and not just standard Fender replacement parts.

Bear
oldmacman

Post by oldmacman »

All of the smaller pF values (treble cap, etc.) I've seen are ceramic caps.

Normster used PS orange drops in his latest build and reported on Ampage that they sound nice and smooth.