You can use Cat5 or Cat6 cable as well.

I used a cable with 6 wires.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
ayan

Re: Check this out......

Post by ayan »

Mr. dB wrote:
ayan wrote: Who stocks the 5 conductor version? Curious about the price. It seems that Mouser only has the 4 conductor version, and the price of the cheapest variety is $194 per foot...

G.
That's $194 for a 100-foot spool...
Of course, never thought otherwise. :)
Mr. dB wrote:...but... If your amp has a DIN footswitch connector, then couldn't you just use a MIDI cable?
The original DIN connectors used by Dumble are not the more narrowly spaced MIDI types, so the real deal is not compatible with MIDI cables. And I realize in a previous post I quoted the wrong part numbers for the DIN connectors. They should have been:

DIN Connectors for Footswitch
DIN Female 5 Pin (Chassis) 502-61HA5FX
DIN Male 5 Pin w/lock Ring Plug 502-12CL5MX

I had posted the XLR connector part numbers instead.

Cheers,

Gil
Structo

Post by Structo »

I used the DIN Male 5 Pin w/lock Ring Plug.

I like how it secures the plug in the jack.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Mr. dB

Post by Mr. dB »

ayan wrote:
The original DIN connectors used by Dumble are not the more narrowly spaced MIDI types, so the real deal is not compatible with MIDI cables. And I realize in a previous post I quoted the wrong part numbers for the DIN connectors. They should have been:

Cheers,

Gil
I forgot that there are two non-compatible layouts for 5-pin DINs, 180 and 240. Did HAD use the 240s?

The British used DINs on hifi equipment, and for fans of Naim or Quad amplifiers I think there is a preference for the PREH brand DIN connectors. Naim used the ones with the bayonet locks.
ayan

Post by ayan »

Yes, the 240, as seen in the attachment.

Cheers,

Gil

Mr. dB wrote:
ayan wrote:

Cheers,

Gil
I forgot that there are two non-compatible layouts for 5-pin DINs, 180 and 240. Did HAD use the 240s?

The British used DINs on hifi equipment, and for fans of Naim or Quad amplifiers I think there is a preference for the PREH brand DIN connectors. Naim used the ones with the bayonet locks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The drawback of going with the 240 degree is, should you need to find a replacement footswitch cable on short notice, you can't just go pick up a standard Midi cable.
ayan

Post by ayan »

martin manning wrote:The drawback of going with the 240 degree is, should you need to find a replacement footswitch cable on short notice, you can't just go pick up a standard Midi cable.
I have heard the argument before, never quite understood how it applied, considering that most people (Dumble included) built footswitches with permanently attached cables. In my case, a long time ago and inspired by the fact that that RF's footswitch has a dettachable cord, I put a female DIN connector on all my footswitches -- which then connect to the amp via a 5-pin DIN to 5-pin DIN cable, see the picture. I made several of those and would always carry a back up cable to gigs, like presumably everyone does with guitar and speaker cords. For what it's worth, the first cable I ever built back in 1999 is still fully functional and all the back ups I built have been just back ups. Finally, last year I retired my amps' overdrive for live playing and ended up pulling the amp's footswitch off my board...

Gil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duble

Post by Duble »

ayan wrote: last year I retired my amps' overdrive for live playing and ended up pulling the amp's footswitch off my board.. Gil
Just curious Gil, why did you retire your amps od? Sick of carting a rack around to interface reverb? Seems you followed suit with Robben :)
ayan

Post by ayan »

Duble wrote:
ayan wrote: last year I retired my amps' overdrive for live playing and ended up pulling the amp's footswitch off my board.. Gil
Just curious Gil, why did you retire your amps od? Sick of carting a rack around to interface reverb? Seems you followed suit with Robben :)
The number one reason was definitely to simplify and lighten up my rig. At less than pretty loud volumes, to me the pedal sounds smoother than the amp's OD, and my pedalboard likes my Strat and Gibsons alike. Another couple of pluses are that the clean channel sounds livelier without the loop and I don't have to compromise between the clean and OD sounds. Lastly, my rack was a set and forget thing for me, being too lazy to carry around a MIDI controller anymore. Having reverb and delay on the board, however, allows me to make a couple of changes on the fly which is also pretty good. All in all, I'm really enjoying things this way for now -- of course, everything is subject to change. Below is my current board, the BB sounds great with the Strat and 335, and the AC with my LP. The RC can be used to boost whatever comes after it and thickens things up nicely.

Gil