UP dumble for sale

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: UP dumble for sale

Post by martin manning »

67plexi wrote:This whole SSS 150 is a mess I wish I could post the photos I have of the real SSS 150 amps I have two and a friend has serviced one of them.
My security software is blocking me from posting photos.
I do have gut shots of #007 SSS and a back photo of SRV black face SSS 150 Watt
I'd be happy to post any photos you are willing to share.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

I started to draw out a schematic from the pics and it became quickly obvious this is only a slightly modded AB165 topology, even with all the odd FB stuff that circuit has. 2 stages for each independent channel and a shared 3rd stage.
Looks like the caps going into shared 3rd stage and PI were flipped(.01/.1), and ignoring midboost, the first channel's tone stack is changed.
It looks like a 100K slope and 2 honkin .022s? I'm basing that on the assumption that the output caps are .022. Same size.
Looks like for the AB165s unique GNFB, the cap and resistor(now 100K) were switched. I'll assume the PI is now an ax7.
I don't see anything for the ab165's 220K FB off the plates of the outputs tho.
Oh yes, the usual 220K//550p going to grids of the 2nd stages.
LNFB around 3rd stage is 220K not 470K.
Every plate in the amp seems to be 100K, but can't tell.
Not really 100% on the PI. Lets talk about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wokkel

Post by wokkel »

Disclaimer: Though I built a D'Lite, I'm not able evaluate the pictures for changes to the Bassman original.

But...

I see the signature 6PS caps. And I also notice the markings on them. I do not recall that mr Dumble marked the 'polarity' of the 6PS caps. To me this is the first case.

Are there places where only the material / composition is replaced not the value? (R4 seems a candidate?)

Harald
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

Just to be clear, the pictures I posted are from this amp : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phoenix-el34-Ul ... 2264988284
It wasn't built by Dumble. There was some text that was deleted from the ebay posting after this thread got going....It said something about built by Greg D. Clark with contributions from other forum members here, and based off the real thing. I'm not sure and don't know about any of that business, really. It was before my time.
But from my understanding, yes, sometimes Dumble would change out parts for composition but not the values. Hell, we all do ;)
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

I have an original, built by Dumble SSS. It is the greatest sounding amp ever. It can sound exactly like, or better than, Carlton, Ford, Hendrix, Allmans, SRV, EJ et al. This amp is the greatest amp I have ever heard - live or recorded. It sounds so good that words just can't do it justice. Shimmering fat cleans that sustain for days. The perfect overdriven harmonic structure when cranked a bit. It takes pedals better than any amp ever. Playing through this amp transports you to another realm. It is that good.
Electronic equipment is designed using facts and mathematics, not opinion and dogma.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

vibratoking wrote:I have an original, built by Dumble SSS. It is the greatest sounding amp ever. It can sound exactly like, or better than, Carlton, Ford, Hendrix, Allmans, SRV, EJ et al. This amp is the greatest amp I have ever heard - live or recorded. It sounds so good that words just can't do it justice. Shimmering fat cleans that sustain for days. The perfect overdriven harmonic structure when cranked a bit. It takes pedals better than any amp ever. Playing through this amp transports you to another realm. It is that good.
Very nice! What speakers do you use with it?
drew

Post by drew »

^^ you won it from its original owner, Tommy Flanagan, in a poker game, amirite?
ToneMerc

Post by ToneMerc »

Smokebreak wrote:Just to be clear, the pictures I posted are from this amp : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phoenix-el34-Ul ... 2264988284
It wasn't built by Dumble. There was some text that was deleted from the ebay posting after this thread got going....It said something about built by Greg D. Clark with contributions from other forum members here, and based off the real thing. I'm not sure and don't know about any of that business, really. It was before my time.
But from my understanding, yes, sometimes Dumble would change out parts for composition but not the values. Hell, we all do ;)
It's might be "Phoenix", but's not an UP. Thus, don't waste your time trying to clone this thing.

TM
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

ToneMerc wrote:
Smokebreak wrote:Just to be clear, the pictures I posted are from this amp : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phoenix-el34-Ul ... 2264988284
It's might be "Phoenix", but's not an UP. Thus, don't waste your time trying to clone this thing.

TM
Right on. I've since moved to the Hotel Hog pics ;)
jelle

Post by jelle »

Smart move. That is a fun amp. I recently did one, sounds good.
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

jelle wrote:Smart move. That is a fun amp. I recently did one, sounds good.
I actually have a SFVR donor ;)
The boost is kinda ridiculous. I have a VR with one of the push-pull boosts on the vol control so I used that to go between 47K and 220K to ground. It's still too much really!
I put a 1M MV before the PI, which helps knock a little volume down. 100p bright across the BM side vol pot, and the 1u across the 4K7(?) tail is on a switch. Accent I guess.
The only thing I can't wrap my head around is that 50K pot coming off the trem circuit. What's the point of that?
jelle

Post by jelle »

What 50K pot? Where did you see it? Its been a while, help me...
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

So recent that you can't remember the 50k pot?
jelle wrote:What 50K pot? Where did you see it? Its been a while, help me...
Smokebreak

Post by Smokebreak »

There are 2 "extra" pots that are mounted on the chassis. The mid pot for the BM stack is on the back, then there is a 50K that is mounted on the top of the chassis between V4 and V5. It appears to be 50K and coming off the trem bug.
At first I thought it was the relocated Intensity pot, but then I'm not sure what would be it's replacement on the front panel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Intensity pot was moved to make room for the Presence pot.