Why Dumble cleans?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pula58

Why Dumble cleans?

Post by pula58 »

Hi Folks,
I am so comfortable with Fender Blackface style clean tones, have built them, and used them for years. For those of you you who like Dumble-style clean tones (i.e., amp overdrive not engaged), I would be very curious to hear which of the architectures of which you enjoy the clean tone, and why? If you like the Dumble-style cleans better than AB763 Fender, why?

Thanks!
Last edited by pula58 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norburybrook

Re: Why Dumble cleans?

Post by norburybrook »

personally I like the #102 cleans and the bluesmaster cleans.

The #102 is a high plate skyliner and for me it gives a clean tone that is full , slightly compressed and clear.

The bluesmaster is also full, with natural compression but is a little brighter and slightly more in your face, probably due to the lack of LNFB.

I'm a big fan of the Dumble clean :D I use it most of the time.

Marcus
NYC_Blues

Post by NYC_Blues »

I'm with OP.

Blackface, tweed cleans are my style.

My 102, 183, Tweedle Dee cleans are too middy at mid-low volume on neck pickups.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

here you go. why I like Dumble cleans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFwkId2vskU

Marcus
NYC_Blues

Post by NYC_Blues »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:39 am here you go. why I like Dumble cleans.

Marcus
That's really nice!
ic-racer

Post by ic-racer »

norburybrook wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:39 am here you go. why I like Dumble cleans.

Marcus
A little off topic, but with regards to that boost device. A few years ago I spent some time fine tuning the FET inputs circuits of my amps. When setup right, they have that same effect, that is boosting and making the sound better with some guitars. Added benefit is the overdrive sounds better too. Too bad when I see so many amp builds that exclude the FET circuit.
"You feel like you're floating on a football field filled with marshmallows." -Dumble
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

I never use the FET :D

the reason the boost sounds great is quite simple.(Robben is a classic example of a player who knows zero about his gear, like a lot of great players)

IT'S THE NON BYPASS BUFFER.....yes it's the same reason people loved the Klon Centaur...it has a great buffer that is NEVER BYPASSED.

I personally use the Pete Cornish buffers.

Try it if you use any kind of pedal( except germanium fuzz) put a good buffer at the front of your chain and if you've a lot of pedals one at the end as well and you'll hear a massive difference, there'll be NO tone loss.

Marcus
67plexi

Post by 67plexi »

Build one and find out :D It took me years to fine tune the ODS amps infatuate clean sustain a Black Face Fender won't do that.
And with the Dumblator you can get a great sound at any volume level. Use the best parts you can get look close at real Dumble amps for reference.

Good Luck, Steve.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I like hitting the Dumbleator with a large signal as it thickens the amp, though I'm not too fond of doing this to amps with HRM.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
xtian

Post by xtian »

NYC_Blues wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:55 am I'm with OP.

Blackface, tweed cleans are my style.

My 102, 183, Tweedle Dee cleans are too middy at mid-low volume on neck pickups.
The Rock/Jazz switch is very useful here. Jazz position is more mid-scooped, Fendery. Very nice for practicing quietly.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Mark

Post by Mark »

The trouble with the Jazz position is that the amp loses a lot of volume in this position.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Jazz setting with the Deep Switch on sounds really nice.

Aaron
Mark

Post by Mark »

The deep switch works well with Strats, and it boosts the volume level.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

Mark wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:37 pm The trouble with the Jazz position is that the amp loses a lot of volume in this position.
That's the initial reason why I never used it much at first. You need to crank the input volume and tone controls to compensate. Once you do that, it's pretty awesome. Like a Fender cranked to the sweet spot, but at any volume. I also tend to set the D'Lator send higher if I'm playing quieter too. It pushes the recovery stage into mild OD and makes the amp behave more like it has the output section running hot.

-Aaron
Darkbluemurder

Post by Darkbluemurder »

I am probably in the minority but having tested a few different D-style circuits I clearly prefer AB763 circuits for clean tones.