#102-a truly versatile amp

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: #102-a truly versatile amp

Post by martin manning »

Wooo! That's smokin' Marcus. Love the way the distortion evolves when you hold a note!
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Damn. That sounds great.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

thanks guys. :D

Here's the amp settings.
IMG_20180202_185459.jpg
same micing and cabinet as the clean clip

M
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

You did something right (or I did something wrong). My amp doesn't sound a thing like that at those settings. Back to the drawing board and soldering station for me.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

telentubes wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:07 pm You did something right (or I did something wrong). My amp doesn't sound a thing like that at those settings. Back to the drawing board and soldering station for me.
I've build two 50w #102's with the generous help of you guys here on the forum.

1st one was with Hammond transformers, NOS piher resitors, Dale RND metal film plate resisters, orange drop 6ps caps Alpha pots and JJ valves. That turned out a great sounding amp. So much so that when I took it to friends studio to try he wouldn't let me leave it..he opened his cheque book and said how much?!! I sold it to him...

I thien built this one for myself. I was worried it wouldn't sound as good. I used custom wound transformers from InMadOut regular Xircon resistors, dale metal films and Orange drop 6PS, Alpha pots and JJ valves.

I took it over to my friends studio to A/B and this one did indeed sound as good. It's now got a sovtek PI and a EHX V2 I think, all new valves.

I have NO idea why these amps sound good. Honestly, I followed the layouts/schematics to the best of my ability and tried my best to makes sure everything was as good as I could get it. THey're not particularly pretty inside but I've follwed the wiring layouts as best i could.

Joey Landreth borowwed my BLuesmaster and sait it was the best Dumble he'd ever payed and he'd been playing the real thing recently, go figure.

I'm still not sure what makes an amp bad/Ok/good/great IMHO if you use good quality components and follow layouts/schematics then you'll build a good amp I'm sure.

I've found that the Dumble amp is quite unforgiving and it's made me a better player using one. You have to be commited to everynote for it to reward you otherwise it can make you sound bad. It's like playing with a really clean tone, there's no where to hide :D

And, as the thread topic states, it's an incredibly versatile amp, the tone controls are lovely in theie interaction and usefulness, the pre amp level has an effect on the overdive level, it's a very complex relationship from your right hand through the guitar through the amp.It's still a journey of discovery for me even after a couple of years of playing it. It is intrisically rewarding though of the effort you put it.

I'm just really grateful that I found this place and the generosity of spirit shown by everyone here that has led to this.

M
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I'll keep at it... to a point. I bought an OT for the 102, but ended up putting it in the recent Small Special (with Merlin's effects loop) project. That amp came out really well. As good or better than the JM Wonderland, which I am also really happy with and use all the time. I used the same MC transformers (40-18001) in three successful 50 watt D-Style amps so will get another for the 102. I have all the other components you mentioned, except for the Piher resisters. Otherwise, I'm banking on the OT replacement. I've put a ton of time into this amp already so if a new OT doesn't work, I'll scrap it as I have some other ideas brewing. Thanks for posting the sound clips as it shows it can be done!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

OK, here's a bit of 'Crunch'

So......... same amp.....we have Clean with 'boost' and blended ever so slightly with a Trainwreck Rocket,

Guitar is a Standard Telecaster on both pickups.

Pickups were hand wound by our own forum member Roger Bentley :D

https://soundcloud.com/marcus-cliffe/th ... ut-snippet

M
andresound

Post by andresound »

Lovely tone, tune and playing 👍
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

OK,

last one before I finish the album. Should be available mid March :D

here's the amp again.

Telecaster again but with a Filtertron in the neck and a standard tele neck pickup in the middle poition.

All sounds from clean to dirty are from picking dynamics.

This track was written for my friend Martin Knutton who died in Tokyo a couple of years ago. He was a fine guitar player and friend.

https://soundcloud.com/marcus-cliffe/to ... -martin-sn
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Nice
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Very cool, I dig it!

I get a sense of a few moments there that are very clapton esque, and love how it moves from gritty to smooth so well.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:15 pm Very cool, I dig it!

I get a sense of a few moments there that are very clapton esque, and love how it moves from gritty to smooth so well.

~Phil
thanks, I'm a fan of Eric's playing even though I've never actually studied him. I have recorded with Eric but not spent a lot of time playing with him so that it would rub off.

The dynamics are great on the amp, and I love the clarity too with that guitar.

M
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Very nice playing... Thank you for posting.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

Another nice track!
Great tone and playing, Really dig how you made that guitar sound so airy.
I guess your audio engineer skills have some part in that?
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Erwin,

Of course that helps but to be honest there's not a lot done to it.

Added some reverb and delay, a little mild compression and a 2 db boost with a neve eq about 10k.

thanks for the kind words.

Marcus