Can I get the sound sample of the Small Special?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

psychepool

Post by psychepool »

I made a 35W Overdrive Special. The preamp section is almost identical to the Ceriatone OTS.

Actually, I do not like the sound of a Dumble.
Originally, I want to have a clean channel amp for my pedal board, so I planed to make a fender black face.
But then, I heard that the Dumble is a modifed fender, and I turned my mind to making it.

So I tried to make it with only clean single-channel.
However, people around me say that, OD channel is the main dish so there is no point if I don't make the OD channel.
After much consideration, I thought it would not be too difficult to add one tube, so I decided to make a full amp included OD channel.

However, I learned from this forum that there is a model called Small Special.
It was the same model with my original plan.

Preamp biasing seemed to be the same as fender black face type. 100K on the plate, 1.5K/25uF on the cathode, putting the tone stack in rock mode seemed almost identical to the blackface circuit.
The Ceriatone Mini OTS has the same bias setting : 100K plate, 1.5K on the cathode.(Only difference is cathode bypass cap : 5uF-25uF)
I am concerned about switching to the mini OTS and the small special by switching only the cathode bypass cap.
(Currently produced with 3.3K/5uF and 2.2K/5uF with reference to Ceriatone OTS.)

But I did not find any sound samples to refer to.
Do you have a page where I can listen to a sound sample of a small special?
It's OK even if it is a clone amp's sound.
I want to listen to the sample and make a decision.

And Is there a difference in sound between Celia Tone OTS and Mini OTS?
OTS50 is 220K / 3.3K / 5uF, 150K / 2.2K / 5uF and mini OTS is 100K / 1.5K / 5uF and 100K / 1.5K / 5uF.
There are quite a few differences.
I would like to ask the difference between the two who have tried both.
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

I have tried the Ceriatone mini OTS and the HRM Ceriatone 50w. IMHO the mini sounded decently on the clean side, and so so on the OD side. The amp missed some depth and amplitude. Could sound thin and a bit harsh at some point. The lack of output wattage did not allow to explore all the sonic possibilities.

On the other side HRM with a D-lator blew my mind. Sonic capabilities seemed endless and it had everything from a blackface clean to a very glassy transparent clean.

The OD was smooth and buttery, ranging from light dirt to heavy rock distortion but always in a musical way.

It is very subjective to describe to sound of an amp but I would advise to look on youtube for many variations of the ODS (Classic, HRM and bluesmaster) and make your own opinion on the amp overall characteristics. Then you may decide which one is worth the try !

Good luck!

Humble and Dumble,

Fred.
dbeasley

Re: Can I get the sound sample of the Small Special?

Post by dbeasley »

Correct plate voltages are critical in a D style amp. A low plate Skyliner clean channel is my favorite. Shoot for approximately 180vDC on that first stage, 180-190 Ish volts for the 2nd gain stage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk