Considering a build, recommendations?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

burnsqc

Considering a build, recommendations?

Post by burnsqc »

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum though I've visited it a couple times while researching Dumble amps. I'm looking to build a clone, but I'm not sure which circuit/variation to pursue. I'm no expert about Dumbles, but I've read about several different amps (ODS, SSS, etc.) and variations thereof (Skyline, HRM, etc.). What I'd really like to build is the quintessential Dumble; the kind everyone thinks of when they hear the name.

I'm thinking that might be an ODS 100W, but after that I'm a little lost. I've read that two ODSs are rarely identical.

I want it to be as authentic as I can get it (including dimensions, part brands, etc.), pretty much like everyone else here does haha. What sort of build would you guys do if somebody wanted a Dumble? Any knowledge you can hit me with would be greatly appreciated. If you have recommendations of parts/part sources I'm all ears!

For what it's worth, I'm an electrical engineer and I've built a custom JTM100 clone before. I'm familiar with circuitry, metalworking, and woodworking (including safety). In light of that, I'm excited to take on this new challenge! Later down the road I'll put together a matching 1x12" cab for it, but right now I'm well covered in cabinet territory.

Thanks in advance!
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance.
Nor did he fear the beast of fire.
He feared...
THE AXEMAN!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Considering a build, recommendations?

Post by pompeiisneaks »

That's a difficult thing to answer. There are multiple guitar players that played dumbles each with a VERY unique and different sound. Part of the dumble methodology was that he tweaked each amp to the taste/style of the player. Which player(s) inspired you the most that you know played dumbles? there are quite a few well versed people here that can answer pretty specifically which one will get the 'sound' you're looking for, but that's because the different dumbles each provide differing tonalities. And they can be tweaked quite a bit as well.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
xtian

Post by xtian »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:07 am That's a difficult thing to answer.
And it's probably the most commonly asked!

I built a 100w #183, and was not disappointed. Best amp for cleans and dirty cleans I own.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
burnsqc

Post by burnsqc »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:07 am That's a difficult thing to answer. There are multiple guitar players that played dumbles each with a VERY unique and different sound. Part of the dumble methodology was that he tweaked each amp to the taste/style of the player. Which player(s) inspired you the most that you know played dumbles? there are quite a few well versed people here that can answer pretty specifically which one will get the 'sound' you're looking for, but that's because the different dumbles each provide differing tonalities. And they can be tweaked quite a bit as well.

~Phil
I really appreciate your reply! I had read that he tuned each amp specifically to the player's style. The problem is, I'm not sure which one I'm chasing. I personally play a variety of music, ranging from jazz/fusion to blues to rock to metal. At this stage, I'm more interested in experiencing the Dumble sound, and not necessarily chasing a specific player's tone. I suppose at the moment, the tone I hear in my head is along the lines of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKunm4Z1IXA. I'd describe it as mildly driven, almost to the point where the drive dips in and out depending on how hard you strike the strings and whether you're playing is monophonic or polyphonic. To my ear, there's nothing crunchy about the tone, but rather it's smooth and buzzy, but not fuzzy or fizzy. I'm not sure I'm doing any good with this description, but I think that's what I'm interested in. Is this something all Dumbles do, or am I slowly narrowing it down at all? I am looking for a moderate bit of drive in the amp, so I believe something like the SSS might be less up my alley than an ODS.

Well, unless someone thinks I should still consider otherwise, maybe I can start by narrowing it down to only ODSs, then go from there.
He feared...
THE AXEMAN!
burnsqc

Post by burnsqc »

xtian wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:21 am
pompeiisneaks wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:07 am That's a difficult thing to answer.
And it's probably the most commonly asked!

I built a 100w #183, and was not disappointed. Best amp for cleans and dirty cleans I own.
Would you be able to point me to some info about #183, or otherwise educate me? It seems like each amp has its own backstory and personality. I've seen #102 and #183 pop up frequently, are they crowd favorites?
He feared...
THE AXEMAN!
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

The description in the linked video rings true for me. D amps became famous for their glassy cleans and smooth overdrive through jazz-rock guys (R. Ford, L. Carlton), and slide players (D. Lindley, L. George), but they are capable of a very wide range of tones. Some players actually dislike that, finding the controls difficult to manage. 102 and 183 are so-called "high plate" ODS, and 124 is a "low plate." These are representative of the iconic ODS amps with Skyline tone stacks from the '80's. 124 has a couple of component selections that seem odd, but the primary difference between the high and low plate amps is eight resistors and two capacitors. Other differences are what I consider to be small tweaks here and there. The files section has layouts for all three.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Don't overlook the SSS/JM style amps! Amazing sounding amps . Very addicting sounding tone.
Cheers

Guy
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

martin manning wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:50 am the primary difference between the high and low plate amps is eight resistors and two capacitors.
The two capacitors you mention, are they the two 10uf cathode caps on V1?

- Matt J.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Yes correct.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

martin manning wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:59 pm Yes correct.
Thanks! I was worried I had overlooked something there in switching over my low plate to a high plate! :shock:

- Matt J.
dariez75

Post by dariez75 »

Matt J wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:36 pm
martin manning wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:59 pm Yes correct.
Thanks! I was worried I had overlooked something there in switching over my low plate to a high plate! :shock:

- Matt J.
Martin, in your amp (124) did you change these two caps with 5 or 4.7 uF?
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Hi, I have had 10u on Cl1 and Cl2, and 4u7 on OD1 and OD2 from the beginning. 4u7 and 5u are the same thing, IMO.
dariez75

Post by dariez75 »

I’ve changed just now the first v1a e v1b cathode cap 10uF with 5 uF, clean are similar and more open and OD sounds fine, less gainy but good. I’ve took a look in ODS Fuchs and I’ve found 5 uF on cathode of V1a, v1b, v2a and v2b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

We have a very small sample size, but 5uF across the board is common to the high-plate amps documented here.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I changed both of the 10uf caps on V1 to 5uf recently on the Trinity OSD kit I built, and changed the cathode resistors to 2.2k and 3.3k. That, and the switch to other high plate values for some components made the amp sound a little more focused and clear, especially on the clean channel. The OD didn't have as much gain, but I liked how this change sounded. Also, the PAB was a little milder without so much of a giant volume boost when engaged. This made the PAB a little more user friendly in my opinion.
All of the Dumble style stuff I had built before hand was low plate, but I really seem to prefer how a high plate preamp sounds now.
- Matt J.