Help with layout and making digital designs

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dr. who

Help with layout and making digital designs

Post by dr. who »

This is what I would like to build. I would like to make a digital layout of it before proceeding forward. Can anyone help me turn this into a digital layout?
Thanks 🙏

4x 6L6, non FET, non HRM, non skyline, 250K treble and bass pots, 100K mid pot, 330pf treble cap, 100K slope, .047 mid, .01 bass, bigger cathode bypass caps (10-25uf)on the clean side and 100K/1K5 plate/cathode resistors. SSS type Hi and Low filter switches, 2 tube reverb with send and return both on front panel,
Aaron

Re: Help with layout and making digital designs

Post by Aaron »

There’s SSS and ODS layouts on here. Download them and cut and paste to make your layout.
Or get Visio and download parts templates from here https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... a7df752ac5
Aaron
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

I don’t know how to use Visio. That’s what I’m trying to find help with. I only have Mac computers. Don’t know how to use much Microsoft stuff. I appreciate the link tho. Do you know who on here is good with Visio?
Tony Bones

Post by Tony Bones »

There is DIY Layout Creator. It's a fairly mature product. Flexible, not hard to learn, and it runs on Macs.

Slucky and others here have invested a lot of time (and money) honing their Visio chops, but I don't know if I'd feel comfortable asking them to make a layout from scratch for me. If they already have something close that they can edit quickly, then they'll probably step forward on their own.

If it were me, I'd collect existing layouts of amps with features I want to include and create my own layout with diylc. If you present something here, even a work in progress, I think you'll probably get useful feedback from the wise ones.

My own attitude is that I enjoy helping people that are trying to learn but not particularly interested in doing the work for them. As a general rule, I'll work as hard as they need me to, but never harder than them.
Last edited by Tony Bones on Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

It is essential to have a good schematic for a project as complex as your idea ***BEFORE*** making a layout. Have you such a schematic?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

dr. who wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:01 pm I don’t know how to use Visio. That’s what I’m trying to find help with. I only have Mac computers. Don’t know how to use much Microsoft stuff. I appreciate the link tho. Do you know who on here is good with Visio?
There are some that are, but I thought Microsoft had yet to port Visio to the Mac?

The mentioned DIY Layout creator was mentioned because it works on windows/linux/mac and is getting constant support from the dev. There's a very active group on facebook covering it's use, and Doug Hoffman's turret building software can take the boards designed on it and convert them to a turret/eyelet board for you pretty easily.

As sluckey mentioned, the layout comes after the schematic, I think he's asking because he's a visio whiz and may already have layouts for some things that are pretty common and that he may have as a starting point for you.

Again, though, not having a windows PC makes visio not an option.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
xtian

Post by xtian »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:44 pmAgain, though, not having a windows PC makes visio not an option.
Not true...I run all kinds of Windows software on my iMac, using Parallels Desktop.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

I did my layout on Adobe Illustrator.. Would not mind sharing if needed. Let me know!

Fred.

Fred.

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

xtian wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:20 pm
pompeiisneaks wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:44 pmAgain, though, not having a windows PC makes visio not an option.
Not true...I run all kinds of Windows software on my iMac, using Parallels Desktop.
I was speaking natively. I used to use parallels too, but that's additional software cost. It works.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
xtian

Post by xtian »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:58 ambut that's additional software cost.
True, though there are free, open source options, like https://www.virtualbox.org (I have not tried this).
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

dr. who wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:01 pm I don’t know how to use Visio. That’s what I’m trying to find help with. I only have Mac computers. Don’t know how to use much Microsoft stuff. I appreciate the link tho. Do you know who on here is good with Visio?
I have an old laptop that I keep for Visio only. Can make a coffee while it starts up😂

Are you wanting circuitboards/layout or the wiring as well? Sometimes doing an amp from scratch on Visio takes about the same time as building one.

Aaron
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

I’m really OCD and the visual layout make me feel a lot more comfortable starting off. I’ve built one ODS before and I would have never finished without a visual layout and help from Taylor, Jelle, and Brandon. Right now I have two friends wanting the circuit I mentioned. That’s why I was trying to find someone that’s good with the program that will help me figure out what to change, where to change it, and how to change it. This program should be kind of like legos I think. My problem is with the reverb, the hi and low filter switches, as I haven’t much knowledge of them. Is there an ODSR file already? Maybe that would be the easiest to take from. After I can figure this out I want to then go to the topography of the 150 ODSR on smaller output sizes. If it’s not too outrageous I would pay for someone to digitize this design and walk me through changing some things on it so I can start going from there onto other new things like 183 ODSR and such. I hope this clarifies things a bit. Thanks 🙏
didit

Post by didit »

Hello -

For <dayjob> related tasks the web-based draw.io has been effective as a visio compatible viewer/editor. Some glitches and functional gaps but was often able to get what was needed. Offer it only FYI as something to experiment with, given hands-on experience is quite limited. Plan to someday test out whether it's adequate to upload some visio-based amp layouts and enable my design edits. Not this month however.

Update: did a quick search for an example and downloaded VSD from here https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 34#p152843, and it loaded OK into the app. In a few minutes did some quick tests to confirm renderings and basics of copy/paste, object moves, etc worked. Unclear if the original VSD had proper "connections" on objects. If so, then those apparently broke during import. Creating a "connect" was easy, and it then did work. Far from proof it's 100% workable but would recommend "test drive" to others.

Best .. Ian