#183 Build 50w

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

hitchcaster

Re: #183 Build 50w

Post by hitchcaster »

Guitarman18 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:39 am Wow, that is a thing of beauty - well done!

I've always wanted to do a 50W #183, but have always wondered what to do about the trannies. As the original #183 used out of spec Twin iron running a quad of EL34's, surely if you did a 50W version you would have to factor in the out of 'specness', to get the operating characteristics right. Taylor, did you use a Classic Tone Bassman OT to run your EL34's, and a custom Heyboer? If so, could you tell us what you requested for the heater current capability etc?

I'd really love to hear some clips!

Cheers,

Paul.
huh? #183 is plexi marshall 100w OT made by pacific, magic parts plexi replacement for choke and PT... unless the layout is not accurate info, but i doubt that... so you just need to use whatever 50w plexi trannies you like. lower the power supply, so no 330uf.. and your good to go.
Guitarman18

Post by Guitarman18 »

hitchcaster wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:28 pm
Guitarman18 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:39 am Wow, that is a thing of beauty - well done!

I've always wanted to do a 50W #183, but have always wondered what to do about the trannies. As the original #183 used out of spec Twin iron running a quad of EL34's, surely if you did a 50W version you would have to factor in the out of 'specness', to get the operating characteristics right. Taylor, did you use a Classic Tone Bassman OT to run your EL34's, and a custom Heyboer? If so, could you tell us what you requested for the heater current capability etc?

Cheers,

Paul.
huh? #183 is plexi marshall 100w OT made by pacific, magic parts plexi replacement for choke and PT... unless the layout is not accurate info, but i doubt that... so you just need to use whatever 50w plexi trannies you like. lower the power supply, so no 330uf.. and your good to go.
hitchcaster,

Yes, I realize that now. There was a point in time, before the details of #183 were widely know, where members speculated that Twin trannies were used. I just hadn't updated my knowledge to include the correct details.

Apologies to anyone who was confused by my post. :roll:

Cheers,

Paul.
'Beauty is in the ear of the beholder'
hitchcaster

Post by hitchcaster »

Guitarman18 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 pm
hitchcaster wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:28 pm

Cheers,

Paul.
hitchcaster,

Yes, I realize that now. There was a point in time, before the details of #183 were widely know, where members speculated that Twin trannies were used. I just hadn't updated my knowledge to include the correct details.

Apologies to anyone who was confused by my post. :roll:

Cheers,

Paul.
no worries.. did you ever attempt the 50w 183? ive been thinking about it.