Steel String Singer

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bcook

Re: Steel String Singer

Post by bcook »

ER wrote:Hey BCook,

I wonder if that was the same amp I tried to buy in 1986; a funky dungeon of a place in the Mission District in S.F. a tan suede silver face head...

The thing is I tried to buy it but only had $600 between me and my freind this is before ATM machines and no credit card, the guy wouldn't even take a down payment because it was "on consignment".
That would have been Black Market? The most amazing collection of dusty old guitars and amps that I've seen. This one was out in Pittsburgh. Not to say it wasn't the same one, but I can't remember what the cab was.
dreric

Post by dreric »

bcook

Pittsburgh CA = Webb Music a once famous shop catering mostly to pedal and lap steel players. Makers of the famous (if you are a pedal steel player) Webb Amp.

Makes sense that they'd have a "pedal steel amp" they were all good ole boys. Who BTW were making "thiele cabs" long before EV drew up the plans.

Eric
bcook

Post by bcook »

Yep, I believe that's the place. Thanks!
dreric

Post by dreric »

It's ironic that they would have a SSS and asking $800. Kind of puts things into perspective. Webb closed up shop about 10 years ago maybe more. Still at that time amps were new (good) and used (not as good). I knew a guy who worked with Subway guitars in Berkeley, he was old friends with HAD. This was early 90's when Dumbles were first really starting to become coveted. This guy told me that HAD was sick over the fact that people were paying 5K for his amps (didn't cause him to make more lol). Fast forward to 2005 and another fiend was buying two dumbles complaining that HAD wanted 30K each specifically in gold Krugerrand (and this was after he bought him a house).

It fascinates me that these amps have become what they are now. Guitarists obsession with having the gear that our idols play takes on a strange twist with Dumble simply because not that many people play them as compared to say a Marshall or Fender. LC and RF as the consistent ambassadors of the tone. SRV for the SSS but really SRV played everything (often all at the same time) so it becomes very hard to isolate his tone as specific through a SSS.

I find it amazing simply cause all this happened. No amount of business planning could create this market and yet the market is isolated in a world created by HAD. The press continually ignore all of the makers who by some estimation are making a product that exceeds HAD. Carol Ann had one article in Tonequest and the reviewer is afraid to even mention Dumble by name. I guess everyone is afraid to piss HAD off and yet all the press would give him a cover story in a heartbeat.

just a rant

Eric
lousse

Post by lousse »

OFF Topic :
In this video, you can see D'Lindley SSS and the back of his cab...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnhV-LcVvUc
butwhatif

Post by butwhatif »

dreric wrote:bcook

Pittsburgh CA = Webb Music a once famous shop catering mostly to pedal and lap steel players. Makers of the famous (if you are a pedal steel player) Webb Amp.

Makes sense that they'd have a "pedal steel amp" they were all good ole boys. Who BTW were making "thiele cabs" long before EV drew up the plans.

Eric
I have one of these, it's an unique steel amp,
docelectro

Re: re

Post by docelectro »

[quote="thyx"][quote="Funkalicousgroove"]The SSS isn't UL, but should make a good donor, although I wouldn't go putting 6550's in there, it's a bit more than the PT will handle...[/quote]

This is true. Eric Johnson used to use one (SSS)...and in spite of the Dumble reputation for longevity and reliability, the PT is what eventually went out on him. He sold it and hasn't used it since.[/quote]

A Dumble used almost all fender transformers and the 6.3 A could not stand the high draw (well over double) the transformers design. A mistake many builders over look like EL34's in a 6L6 again twice the draw. Larry Carlton does not use his dumbles any more because of break down. Its about the tone of an amp then its draw backs
docelectro

Re: re

Post by docelectro »

[quote="thyx"][quote="Funkalicousgroove"]The SSS isn't UL, but should make a good donor, although I wouldn't go putting 6550's in there, it's a bit more than the PT will handle...[/quote]

This is true. Eric Johnson used to use one (SSS)...and in spite of the Dumble reputation for longevity and reliability, the PT is what eventually went out on him. He sold it and hasn't used it since.[/quote]

A Dumble used almost all fender transformers and the 6.3 A could not stand the high draw (well over double) the transformers design. A mistake many builders over look like EL34's in a 6L6 again twice the draw. Larry Carlton does not use his dumbles any more because of break down. Its about the tone of an amp then its draw backs
talbany

Post by talbany »

This is true. Eric Johnson used to use one (SSS)...and in spite of the Dumble reputation for longevity and reliability, the PT is what eventually went out on him. He sold it and hasn't used it since.
I would put the number of transformers I've replaced roughly 80% were due to other componets that have failed that took out the power transformers..Shorted or failed tubes, Filter caps and of coarse power surges also a risk..After 25 or so years of dependable hard working service out of a heavily traveled amp and the Power transformer goes.. hard to label Dumble at fault or un-reliable ..shit wears out..

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
BobW

Post by BobW »

..shit wears out..
I like it 8)
Dumbbell

Post by Dumbbell »

nickm57 wrote: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:02 am On a similar note did Colin James (Canadian blues guitarist) have a SSS.

His sound on his first record to me sounds like one. Very influenced by the "SRV" tone at the time, the high end is different from the ODS.He is quoted as using a dumble. Not just as another recorded example but also for cataloging these amps.

:arrow:
One thing about these amps I'm yet to see what the tone filters do and their circuits. :?:

nick
His was #10 sss now owned by Kirk Hammett and for sale for 750k
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

Dumbbell wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:19 pm
nickm57 wrote: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:02 am On a similar note did Colin James (Canadian blues guitarist) have a SSS.

His sound on his first record to me sounds like one. Very influenced by the "SRV" tone at the time, the high end is different from the ODS.He is quoted as using a dumble. Not just as another recorded example but also for cataloging these amps.

One thing about these amps I'm yet to see what the tone filters do and their circuits. :?:

nick
Wow 750k. Badass. Where's this being sold at?
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
Dumbbell

Post by Dumbbell »

JD0x0 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:01 pm
Dumbbell wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:19 pm

nick
Wow 750k. Badass. Where's this being sold at?
At SPC guitars. Contact him. He is very nice and has some other Dumble amps for sale. 2 ODRs, 1 ODS, a 4x10 cab and one of two MegaPlexs.
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Funkalicousgroove wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:26 pm How is that possible? Live in Japan was recorded in 1979, LC didn't even get a SSS until about 1990(ish). I am certain it wasn't on live in osaka with Robben ford, LC hasn't had the SSS for almost 10 years now.
few years late but there more than just ONE live in Japan album..Its actually Live in Tokyo, A client did it for me, theres an article where Larry was talking to Alex @ the SSS EJ got, N Larry said thaz exactly what he needed, after listening to this album, its just insane what the amp does, im @ sure its used on that album..course just like everyone else in life.... i could be wrong,
Max

Post by Max »

AFAIR Gil Ayan once posted here, that he attended this live concert, where LC used a SSS150W on stage together with his strat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpD7Lyy ... lWAYBaWXMj

And AFAIR LC once told in an interview, that he used a SSS 150W for the tracks of this album recorded in Nashville (tracks recorded in L.A. = ODS100W):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27jglbu ... Vq9nq7WwMo

Cheers,

Max
Last edited by Max on Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.