Hey Robben, where's your Dumble?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

donvan

Hey Robben, where's your Dumble?

Post by donvan »

Robben Ford would sound great playing a Peavey Backstage but why wouldn't he want to use one of his Dumble's if he is giving a concert near where he lives?
Not sure what he is playing through. Perhaps a Dr Z with tape over the logo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q25U6DRoy0
talbany

Re: Hey Robben, where's your Dumble?

Post by talbany »

It's a Little Walter :wink:

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

yes, he's been using them since moving to Nashville.

https://jazzguitartoday.com/2019/06/rob ... 0-cabinet/

M
donvan

Post by donvan »

Interesting. I knew Vince Gill played these amps and I am a huge fan of both Vince Gill and Paul Franklin. Hadn't heard that Robben Ford was playing Little Walter Amps. Like I said, he always sounds great. I just think he sounds a little better with his Dumble or even a Bludotone.
daniboy79

Post by daniboy79 »

I believe that Robben sold one of the Dumbles a while back.
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Those LW amps are a bit scary. A few gut shots have been floating around online and their basically Fender clones (some with Octal tubes), but layout is bizarre, he has a ton a faith in silicone and hot glue...a number of them have the aluminum (Bud box) chassis bending under the load of the iron. A few safety concerns too (AC wiring and grounding etc). Enjoy...and FWIW, his tone (and playing of late) have been a bit uninspiring. This coming from a big Robben fan here....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

Electrolytic cap ziptied to a 10W resistor. I'm sure it'll be fine. :roll:

I'm always baffled when a manufacture or builder overlooks something like that, while spending hours hand wiring and soldering an amp.
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
talbany

Post by talbany »

Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Just played the video , thanks Tony. This tone is a lot different from when he was playing his Dumble amps. I guess he really wanted a change.
. It's nice he is supporting a local builder. Little Walter must love it!

He is definitely going for a lower wattage setup. That SC64 speaker is only 40 watts and its a 1x12.

Cheers

G
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Guy77 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:18 pmIt's nice he is supporting a local builder...
...& too bad he is not supporting a more consistent one. There are so many on the forum... 8)

Maybe these latters are lacking a spouse to manage with public relationships... :?
talbany

Post by talbany »

Guy's I can tell you having had the privilege with working with quite a few national acts (But not Robben) That in my case there were numerous reasons why players would switch up their tools.
A big one could be logistics? Perhaps 102 is over or on it's way to another larger show or tour or in for repair and he just did't have it at the time.
Another could be the artist simply wants to try something different for a change?
Practicality? Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to bring in a 100w 2X12 cabinet for an intimate small room jam..Grab your little 50w and a 1 X12 cabinet pedal board and be done with it.
It could be a combination of all of the above.I remember when Robben showed up with a Two Rock or a Bludo at a show and everyone here lost their minds :lol:
Also generally when you work with someone as high profile as Robben his amp will generally have customized modifications/ voicing or upgrades like transformers than an off the shelf model :wink:
Honestly I don't think he's put 102 in cold storage and he will also find a use for the Walters..

BTW. Robben and Patty did a series of live podcasts over the course of the pandemic where he would talk about various experiences answer questions and do some playing at his house. At the time he was just beginning to work with L.W and was trying out several models.. If memory serves he said the reason why he was going with the smaller amps had to do with needing to crank the Dumble to get his sound and the word he used was loud! and was searching for something that sounded similar but at a lower volume. I went back over to see if I could find that but it looks like he deleted quite a few of those videos from his Youtube account. I watched every one of those and thought they were Great!. 8)

Tony
Guitarman18

Post by Guitarman18 »

Robben talks about why he has started using the LW amps in this episode of Guitar Wank.
It’s always interesting to listen to Robben but if you want to jump to the amp discussion part, it’s from about 23minutes.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/g ... 0517928089

Pretty much the reasons Tony alluded to.

Cheers,

Paul
'Beauty is in the ear of the beholder'
AtomCap

Post by AtomCap »

build looks like a blowjob on wheels
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Little Walter layout is a strait copy from an amp building book from Tony Zolotto.
donvan

Post by donvan »

M Fowler wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:24 am Little Walter layout is a strait copy from an amp building book from Tony Zolotto.
Just curious... I couldn't find an amp building author named Tony Zolotto. I did find a Tino Zottola. Is that the author?

Thanks