MK8 vs. MK3 Roderstein

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jcsifu

MK8 vs. MK3 Roderstein

Post by jcsifu »

Just got ahold of some Roderstein MK8 (2watt) for plate and cathode values for a 102 build. I had found someone with some MK3's (.5 watt) but they haven't been in contact for a while now. What do you guys think, will there be any difference in how the MK8 sound instead of the MK3? Should sound the same right?
ijedouglas

Re: MK8 vs. MK3 Roderstein

Post by ijedouglas »

I'm sure there will be a difference. I have not tried the MK8 (other than in the GNFB which I didnt like). I have done similar tests with Q-lines and the 1 watters sound very different from the 1/2 watters.

Try them, you might like them :D . Would love to hear your feedback?
Ian
talbany

Post by talbany »

jcsifu wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:31 am Just got ahold of some Roderstein MK8 (2watt) for plate and cathode values for a 102 build. I had found someone with some MK3's (.5 watt) but they haven't been in contact for a while now. What do you guys think, will there be any difference in how the MK8 sound instead of the MK3? Should sound the same right?
I have not yet tried the 8"s, however?
MK 2's sound different than MK 3's (I don't care for 2's at all)
1/2 watt Phiers sound different than 1 watts (1 watts darker)
1/2 watt Iskras sound different than 1 watt (again 1 watts darker but still sound good)
1/2 watt Bradleys sound different than 1 watt (use 1/2 watt)
1/2 watt Q-lines sound different than 1 watt (I still like the sound of 1 watts)
Question is do you hear a difference? and do you like the sound?

Give it a shot and keep us posted!
Tony
Last edited by talbany on Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
jcsifu

Post by jcsifu »

Well, guess we'll see soon enough. Tony and Ian thanks for listing your experiences with other resistors and what you heard diff between ratings. The ability to fine-tune through component selection was new to me a year or so ago, but I'm having a fun experience with it so far. I'm starting to feel like I've had enough experiences with NOS parts vs. new stock that I can weigh in on some select discussions of such. So grateful that I found this site. :D