New Dumble demo vid. But....

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

haroldbkny

New Dumble demo vid. But....

Post by haroldbkny »

The guy's obviously a killer player, and the guitar and amp are both legendary. But I feel like he was playing it more like a Marshall. Didn't have that iconic Dumble sound. Might be because he completely had it set on Jazz and played through the FET channel the whole time.
amplifiednation

Re: New Dumble demo vid. But....

Post by amplifiednation »

Hey I built those cabs! I had that Dumble here for a few weeks. Was a killer sounding amp!
Amplified Nation
www.amplifiednation.com
@ampnation
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

amplifiednation wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:16 amI had that Dumble here for a few weeks.
Taylor, did the R/J switch have a center off position?
PS Nice looking cabinets!
jcsifu

Post by jcsifu »

Dumble abuse :lol: ...would of liked to hear the bridge pickup clean
jcsifu

Post by jcsifu »

Awesome cab set Taylor
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

haroldbkny wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:02 am

The guy's obviously a killer player, and the guitar and amp are both legendary. But I feel like he was playing it more like a Marshall. Didn't have that iconic Dumble sound. Might be because he completely had it set on Jazz and played through the FET channel the whole time.
it's a low plate classic , I think perhaps the iconic sound you're thinking of is a high plate skyliner :)

I have a very similar amp and use the FET too :)

M
talbany

Post by talbany »

The amp appears to be a 3rd Generation, (Ser# 60-75) between 1978-79
I don't see the addition of a ratio control on the back so it doesn't appear to have been upgraded (like the Ferris amp)..IMO this is a good example of the raw sound these amps produce! Very dynamic works great with the volume control along with the pushed mids those early 2nd/3rd generation (Pseudo Skyliner's)stacks have :D
Also this would be a good video to show someone who is interested in building one of these amps and likes a lot of gain set for the OD..

BTW Taylor? Was this originally a combo (exported by Applied acoustics) that was adapted to your head cab?
it appears to have a multi-tap power transformer.

Tony
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12871
3rd generation ODS rev1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

SN is visible (1:34) #0065, and the guy says it was converted from a combo by Amp Nation (1:00).
talbany

Post by talbany »

martin manning wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:53 am SN is visible (1:34) #0065, and the guy says it was converted from a combo by Amp Nation (1:00).
Martin
I know the amp was ser#65 but was simply pointing out the 3rd generation Serial numbers ran between 60-75 (obviously a 3rd gen)..I totally missed the combo remark so thanks for the shoutout! So it is a Roy bros export model :lol:
Seems like several of those are beginning to make the rounds in the vintage market.

Tony
jabguit

Post by jabguit »

jcsifu wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:51 am Dumble abuse :lol: ..

Indeed....
Jack Briggs
Briggs Guitars
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

talbany wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:03 amI know the amp was ser#65 but was simply pointing out the 3rd generation Serial numbers ran between 60-75 (obviously a 3rd gen).
Ok, I see, sorry.

This is what I'm curious about. Looks like something has been done with the R/J switch at some time, and it seems to have a center position. Looks like it's centered in the demo too... all FET input and PAB!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
talbany

Post by talbany »

martin manning wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:47 pm
talbany wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:03 amI know the amp was ser#65 but was simply pointing out the 3rd generation Serial numbers ran between 60-75 (obviously a 3rd gen).
Ok, I see, sorry.

This is what I'm curious about. Looks like something has been done with the R/J switch at some time, and it seems to have a center position. Looks like it's centered in the demo too... all FET input and PAB!
Martin
I am not aware of any 3rd Generation amps that offer a PAB option, (this would be around the time when Dumble changed over from the slide switches to the mini toggles). The ones that I know of that were on/off/on were 4th Generation..My immediate thoughts are? since the 3rd Gens didn't have a foot switchable PAB function the only way to activate it would be on the front panel you would think he would have labeled it, perhaps he simply just told his customers this for them to know about it?? that IMO would have been a little odd?
I can also tell you that a 3rd Generation amp (in OD) with the tonestack lifted sounds like ass :roll: (due to the Funky OD entrance resistor network, and no snubbers and a silver mica treble cap)
Perhaps this is why the PAB function was never advertised on a 3rd generation O.D.S..:wink:

BTW.I does look like it in the shots.

Hope this helps!
Tony
drew

Post by drew »

If this had been the “meet with Dumble and convince him that you’re worthy to have an amp built for you” audition, I think around the 7:30 mark is when he would have said “please stop that and go away . . . Wait. Do you have a cashiers check?”
haroldbkny

Post by haroldbkny »

norburybrook wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:26 am
haroldbkny wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:02 am

it's a low plate classic , I think perhaps the iconic sound you're thinking of is a high plate skyliner :)

I have a very similar amp and use the FET too :)

M
I'd love to hear sound clips where someone demos all of the different Dumble era sounds (or at least low plate classic, low plate skyliner, high plate skyliner, hrm skyliner, and bludotone) so I can actually hear what they all sound like back to back. I've only ever seen textual descriptions of each of these, and it's hard to figure out what they sound like from someone saying "not much compression, but it sings really clean, and the overdrive is liquidy..." etc
talbany

Post by talbany »

I'd love to hear sound clips where someone demos all of the different Dumble era sounds (or at least low plate classic, low plate skyliner, high plate skyliner, hrm skyliner, and bludotone) so I can actually hear what they all sound like back to back. I've only ever seen textual descriptions of each of these, and it's hard to figure out what they sound like from someone saying "not much compression, but it sings really clean, and the overdrive is liquidy..." etc
I am sure Dumble ran into this problem as well? Which amp should I build for this customer?

If he lives near me have him come in and let him try each amp and decide for himself. If he doesn't want too? or cannot make the trip I will have to talk to him and decide myself which one to send him that would better suit his playing style.. This generally works for some pro players however there are swaths of amateurs that don't have a clue what they want and if i choose the amp for him/her and for some reason he doesn't like it then this could turn into a nightmare fairly quickly sending this amp back and forth trying different things to try and please this guy :roll: and even then I might never please him. So here is what I will have to do?

i'll ask for a performance tape and hear for myself if this guy is a pro or amatuer and see if i can build him an amp from my line he will be happy with and we get this deal done with a little wasted time and wasted money as possible.
I always notice many on the forum making fun of Dumble asking for a performance tape of you before he agrees to build you an amp
I have no doubt having worked with the general public building custom amps that this is why he did that :wink:

Since Dumbles amps were somewhat of a departure from the normal Fender/Marshall/Vox mass produced fare, these amps take some getting used to and appreciate so even after you build say a high plate skyliner you have to play it out and explore all the nuances the amp provides that might not hit you right away because your simply not used to it yet. i learned this the hard way and over tweaked these things to death trying to turn them into something they were not when I first started building all these different generation ODS's :roll: a lot of wasted time there.
You have been Warned :lol:
Tony