Anyone Building a True 2 ch ODS?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JustMike

Anyone Building a True 2 ch ODS?

Post by JustMike »

I think my ideal amp would have a fender clean channel and the ODS drive channel but with it's own TMB tome stack. Did Dumble ever make one or are any builders out there making this?
Abe5150

Re: Anyone Building a True 2 ch ODS?

Post by Abe5150 »

Ya its called an HRM.
Abe5150

Post by Abe5150 »

The Amplified Nation Ampliphonix and Gain is exactly what you are describing.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

People often do the HRM build and instead of having trim pots on a board for the OD tone stack they put them on the front panel so you can tweak them like a normal set of tone controls.

here's TAG member Philly Hudson's build just as that.

IMG_3515.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rootz

Post by rootz »

Isn't the Two Rock Onyx the same concept Marcus? Fun idea for sure. I think Andy Fuchs did an amp with the trimmers accessible via a 'door' in the top of the cabinet.

I did design a real 2 channel amp, one channel clean low plate classic. Channel 2 high plate HRM without a full tone stack between V1a en V1b. I replaced that stack with what would remain when you engage PAB. Never build it though.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Bluesmaster
BMfront.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

rootz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:05 pm Isn't the Two Rock Onyx the same concept Marcus? Fun idea for sure. I think Andy Fuchs did an amp with the trimmers accessible via a 'door' in the top of the cabinet.
I did design a real 2 channel amp, one channel clean low plate classic. Channel 2 high plate HRM without a full tone stack between V1a en V1b. I replaced that stack with what would remain when you engage PAB. Never build it though.
The Two Rock BIOnyx was somewhat like a dual channel D-style. We made HRM's (very few) with a top panel hatch to allow the HRM stack adjustments without taking the amp apart. HRM just isn't "right" to my ear. It's too Marshall, not enough Fender or Dumble, and takes a ton of tweaking to sound right. The OD tone control on the new amps lets you dial in a great clean, and tune the OD easily enough. Carol-Ann made an OD-II which was an HRM OD channel and a normal D-style clean channel with a loop. Basically, the second channel was the HRM tone stack with its own master, so an HRM ODS with the pots on the front. The primary channel (bottom) tone stack was bypassed when the second channel was activated, just like you would be expected to run an ODS/HRM. HRM's sound best with the main stack bypassed.

My ODS-II gives you a fully dedicated clean channel with it's own master, that will do nice dirty slide and low gain overdrive tones.
The second channel is a dedicated primary tone stack with it's own overdrive section (with a tone control) and shares a global master, reverb and presence control.
Two loops, one is full feature ODS style, and a second series loop post the first loop and pre with power amp. Fan, built in bias meter and external bias adjustments.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.