Two Rocks #102 Replica

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

talbany

Two Rocks #102 Replica

Post by talbany »

So for all you Two Rock Freaks..Here is one more gem I ran across.Two Rocks replica of 102. I believe this one was built for Robben and has actually used the amp several times.
Why on earth would they use NOS CTS pots :shock: I didn't think those made any difference :lol:
IMG_3544.jpg
IMG_3543.jpg
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
ijedouglas

Re: Two Rocks #102 Replica

Post by ijedouglas »

Awesome Tony.

Looks like they used Draloric MK3s on the plates and a mixture of Roedestein and Draloric MK3s on the cathodes. I would love to know how Robben compared it to the real 102?

I just redid all the pots in one of my amps with vintage pots and they make a pretty big difference :D
Ian
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

talbany wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:41 am So for all you Two Rock Freaks..Here is one more gem I ran across.Two Rocks replica of 102. I believe this one was built for Robben and has actually used the amp several times.
Why on earth would they use NOS CTS pots :shock: I didn't think those made any difference :lol:
IMG_3544.jpgIMG_3543.jpg
Tony
Thanks for posting Tony . Do we know what year this one is?
The 2021 Bloomfield we reverse engineered recently uses all Alpha pots with KOA 1/2 what resistors everywhere except the plates and power section.
The 2021 also used the 600v insulation wire that CE Distribution sells now for the preamp section. The insulation on this amp looks a little thinner. I guess because this is a replica build.
Was there any serial # written with marker on the inside?

Thanks Tony!

Guy
talbany

Post by talbany »

Guy77 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:40 pm
talbany wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:41 am So for all you Two Rock Freaks..Here is one more gem I ran across.Two Rocks replica of 102. I believe this one was built for Robben and has actually used the amp several times.
IMG_3544.jpgIMG_3543.jpg
Tony
Thanks for posting Tony . Do we know what year this one is?
The 2021 Bloomfield we reverse engineered recently uses all Alpha pots with KOA 1/2 what resistors everywhere except the plates and power section.
The 2021 also used the 600v insulation wire that CE Distribution sells now for the preamp section. The insulation on this amp looks a little thinner. I guess because this is a replica build.
Was there any serial # written with marker on the inside?

Thanks Tony!

Guy
Hello Guy
The amp is at least 10 years old and was constructed before Two Rock sold the company. IIRC the amp was constructed specifically for Robben to use as a backline rental so it would make some sense for them to try and get as close as possible to the sound of 102..
I cannot say for sure if Two Rock was actually inside of 102 however looking at some of the components they picked and used there is a better than good chance they at least had some photos..Keep in mind though this was a long time ago and some of this is speculation since 102 was not disclosed here or anywhere else AFAIK.
At the time I am sure they got their wire from several vendors but I can tell you that one of them was Apex Jr and looks to be RGU 188 (which they sell)https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17845 Originally the amp had RGU/59 but was more than likely upgraded to the 188 when dumble did the Skyliner update (Like 124) He also used his fair share of it in his DILators
If you look at the P.I of 102 it has all C.F. Q-Lines (Dralorics) and so does the Two Rock.Do you think this is a coincidence? No Ser# (Prototype):wink:
102.jpeg
BTW.It does look like V1's bypass cap was changed on the clone at some point and Dumble did use Elna caps (124) as was the Two Rock.
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

talbany wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:59 pm BTW.It does look like V1's bypass cap was changed on the clone at some point and Dumble did use Elna caps (124) as was the Two Rock.
Did 124 or 102 have Elna caps? I thought 124 had Teapo caps?
Ian
talbany

Post by talbany »

ijedouglas wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:49 am
talbany wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:59 pm BTW.It does look like V1's bypass cap was changed on the clone at some point and Dumble did use Elna caps (124) as was the Two Rock.
Did 124 or 102 have Elna caps? I thought 124 had Teapo caps?
You could be right but do remember seeing them in an O.D.S. at some point and trying to find them on E-bay :lol: :roll:

Tony
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

talbany wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:31 am You could be right but do remember seeing them in an O.D.S. at some point and trying to find them on E-bay :lol: :roll:
Cool. I found some on eBay a while back so I'll try them and see what they sound like 8)
Ian
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

It looks less tidy than I would expect. Is that intentional?
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
talbany

Post by talbany »

professormudd wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:58 pm It looks less tidy than I would expect. Is that intentional?
:lol: I've seen worse. For me personally I would rather open an amp and see that than a perfectly wired amp with an all in one etched or worse wave soldered PCB Board. As long as you keep certain wires separated and short as possible thats what really matters IMO Also given it was a prototype for Robben to use they were more than likely not concerned with aesthetics.. :wink:

Tony
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

Thanks for the update Tony! They defiantly did there homework before building it

Guy
talbany wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:59 pm
Guy77 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:40 pm
IMG_3544.jpgIMG_3543.jpg
Tony

Hello Guy
The amp is at least 10 years old and was constructed before Two Rock sold the company. IIRC the amp was constructed specifically for Robben to use as a backline rental so it would make some sense for them to try and get as close as possible to the sound of 102..
I cannot say for sure if Two Rock was actually inside of 102 however looking at some of the components they picked and used there is a better than good chance they at least had some photos..Keep in mind though this was a long time ago and some of this is speculation since 102 was not disclosed here or anywhere else AFAIK.
At the time I am sure they got their wire from several vendors but I can tell you that one of them was Apex Jr and looks to be RGU 188 (which they sell)https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17845 Originally the amp had RGU/59 but was more than likely upgraded to the 188 when dumble did the Skyliner update (Like 124) He also used his fair share of it in his DILators
If you look at the P.I of 102 it has all C.F. Q-Lines (Dralorics) and so does the Two Rock.Do you think this is a coincidence? No Ser# (Prototype):wink: 102.jpeg
BTW.It does look like V1's bypass cap was changed on the clone at some point and Dumble did use Elna caps (124) as was the Two Rock.
Tony
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

talbany wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:57 pm
professormudd wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:58 pm It looks less tidy than I would expect. Is that intentional?
:lol: I've seen worse. For me personally I would rather open an amp and see that than a perfectly wired amp with an all in one etched or worse wave soldered PCB Board. As long as you keep certain wires separated and short as possible thats what really matters IMO Also given it was a prototype for Robben to use they were more than likely not concerned with aesthetics.. :wink:

Tony
I was more remarking on what looked like maybe flux or some other residue along with a lot of small particles of debris. But you make a good point regarding it being a prototype. I imagine it spent a lot of time on the bench getting parts swapped until they got it right... cleaning the boards probably ranked pretty low on their list.
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
llemtt

Post by llemtt »

talbany wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:59 pm ...
Hello Guy
Tony
Hello Tony

IIRC around 10 years ago I read that Robben, while also trying some of their amps, had Two Rock servicing at least one of his two ODS, maybe just tubes replacement and rebias but this "backup" replica now suggests the amp was pulled out of the cabinet and blueprinted.

If not how do they built such a replica?

Trial and error doesn't seems to me a reasonable option, maybe Robben asked a schematic to A. Dumble and he gave it to Two Rock along with the replica build request.

Anyway, whatever was the source of their information, why do you say that V1b bypass cap was changed and it wasn't already there as they built it?

Do we have to think that 102 had a 1uF V1b bypass cap?

Cheers
Teo
talbany

Post by talbany »

Hello Tony

IIRC around 10 years ago I read that Robben, while also trying some of their amps, had Two Rock servicing at least one of his two ODS, maybe just tubes replacement and rebias but this "backup" replica now suggests the amp was pulled out of the cabinet and blueprinted.

If not how do they built such a replica?
Teo
Thanks for the info!
I too remember hearing that Two Rock had done some work on 102 around the time this photo leaked but this was a long time ago and cannot confirm this in any of my older notes :?:
Trial and error doesn't seems to me a reasonable option, maybe Robben asked a schematic to A. Dumble and he gave it to Two Rock along with the replica build request.
IMO Doubt H.A.D shared such a schematic!..I remember in an interview Robben mentions that
Alexander did not have or make a schematic of 102 (around the time he built his #2 ODS combo)
Anyway, whatever was the source of their information, why do you say that V1b bypass cap was changed and it wasn't already there as they built it?

Do we have to think that 102 had a 1uF V1b bypass cap?
As far as what we know from those who have been inside 102 and have shared their insights 102 has all 5uf bypass caps like around the time the layout was done in the files section.
BTW. I know of some ODS's having 1 uF bypass caps in V1 this was from what I have seen and or heard about is a fairly rare mod? that and it's a different brand cap leads me to think this was a later tweak.

Tony