50w ODS with on board 'lator?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JustMike

50w ODS with on board 'lator?

Post by JustMike »

This is what I want to build. In fact, I've built one already using a donor chassis and cabinet. I want to build a head version with a proper chassis. I saw that Amplified Nation has the chassis but they're punched for 3 12a_7 tubes. I would need 4 and the pots. Also, is there a PCB or even a layout for this available?

I have Classic Tone 40-18023 PT and 40-18025 OT that I'm going to use and I'm building the headshell.
martin manning

Re: 50w ODS with on board 'lator?

Post by martin manning »

JustMike

Post by JustMike »

Thank you Martin. Now for the chassis...
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

You can use a octal to 9 pin cover
https://www.cedist.com/products/covers- ... hole-steel
and have a 4 hole pre.
JustMike

Post by JustMike »

dcribbs1412 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:18 pm You can use a octal to 9 pin cover
https://www.cedist.com/products/covers- ... hole-steel
and have a 4 hole pre.
With which chassis?
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

JustMike wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:08 pm Thank you Martin. Now for the chassis...
These, they also have holes for the dlator pots.
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34678
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

don't do it....... it's NOT what the great man wanted....... :mrgreen: ...he was right.....

Make a dumbleator in a small chassis instead.

M
professormudd

Post by professormudd »

As I understand it, some of the features of the Dumblator exist to compensate for capacitance if using long cables in the loop. Do you plan to still do the whole "Dumblator" inside of your amp, or are you going to eliminate some of those features?
-Matt

It may very well be that the sole purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

professormudd wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:35 pm As I understand it, some of the features of the Dumblator exist to compensate for capacitance if using long cables in the loop. Do you plan to still do the whole "Dumblator" inside of your amp, or are you going to eliminate some of those features?
Joking aside, I honestly believe putting a Dumbleator inside the amp changes the ODS beyond recognition and is the reason HAD never did it...EVER....he had the skills, the parts and he never did it, well not to my knowledge anyway.

Having built all the main ODS amps from #40 through to #183 and then building and amp with an on board Dumbleator this has been my experience. I found the amp with the Dumbleator a nightmare to dial sounds in with. Yes, you could dial in great tones at home/studio but get out on a gig and changing acoustics and it was really hard to get a base line.

A regular ODS for whatever reason was always easier to sort out in the heat of battle.

I sold my ODS/dumbleator amp to a studio in Brighton.

YMMV

M
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I’ve built a few amps with built in Dumbleator. I thought it made the amp sound better at lower volumes.
You could always wire in a bypass switch or build a pedal version.
Aaron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Joking aside, I honestly believe putting a Dumbleator inside the amp changes the ODS beyond recognition and is the reason HAD never did it...EVER....he had the skills, the parts and he never did it, well not to my knowledge anyway.
Not to my knowledge either..I couldn't agree more! Build it in a separate chassis with its own power supply..
BTW..I"ve Built 2 with built in D-lators Kept one in and ripped the other one out in my 2nd Generation..Too hard to control at work,along with a few other issues :roll:

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
JustMike

Post by JustMike »

Interesting. This Bluezmeister I built with the on board tube fx loop is the only D style amp I've ever heard, so I have no reference. But I like the way it sounds. I think I'll try taking the loop out and see what it sounds like before I commit to this new build.
fred.violleau

Post by fred.violleau »

Having now built two D clones with a onboard D-lator, I would add that grounding is key and you should refer to Talbany's wisdom on norburybrook's 50w #40 clone as it is detailed.

A few things to consider here : a bypass switch allows you to have the original signal intact and a dry /wet knob on your D-lator. So when the loop is activated, you can dial in the effect while retaining some/most? Of the original sound.

Agreed it changes the character of the amp (overall a bit more compressed). I have not played at gig level in different venues, but I love the addition of the D-lator to the sound with the dry/wet control. Trouble is, it works fine with reverb (using a TC electronic pedal, 100% wet, with wet at 9-10 on D-lator) but the delay I can't dial the way I would like.. And if you do add the D-lator, then put those controls on the front panel as the return of the D-lator is acting as master volume.

If you have the luxury, a dry/wet two amps setup would probably be the ultimate solution.

#winSomeLooseSome

My 2 cents, for what it is worth ;)

Fred.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

no matter what I did on my 50w combo with Dumbleator I could not get it to be quiet enough with a bypass switch. I tried everything I could but it was too noisy so I removed the switch.

I know others have managed it so it's possible but I couldn't. YMMV

The amp sounded great at times but it was just too hard to dial in in different situations and there is no base line either when the dumbleator is permanently in line so it's easy to get your clean too dirty and then mess up the OD or vice, versa. I think if i could have made a bypass that was transparent and clean it would have been a bit easier at times.

Anyway, there's no such thing as the perfect amp so you might love it. I had to try and in the end didn't get on with it.

M
talbany

Post by talbany »

Anytime you add an extra preamp (before the P.I) and cram it into an existing chassis (that is not designed for it) your going to add noise. Period! (A switch will only make it worse). Even if you do manage to keep the noise level to a tolerable level it's still there and can still affect things like, harmonic structure,frequency response. sustainability (if contamination is bad enough),not to mention ground loops, Being an add on preamp (on the back end) ideally, should have it's own isolated grounding source (Chassis/Power supply) Like Marcus says there is a reason why Dumble put it in a separate chassis and even then kept everything spread out.
BTW..Dumble was a stickler for noise given his grounding technique, cap orientation and use of metal film plate resistors,to help prevent it :wink:
Rant over! :D :roll:
Tony
D-lator.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"