Dumbleland Overdrive Special!!!

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Bombacaototal

Re: Dumbleland Overdrive Special!!!

Post by Bombacaototal »

That is the thing with Dumble and the names of the amps.

In my view what makes a Dumbleland is the power section (12AU7/12BH7 on the early ones and 6 power tube SVT style on the later ones). Same for the SSS family which used the power section akin of SVT (a la 001).

But then there are the exceptions, the SSS 004 with the standard one tube PI, SRV SSS with the Dumbleland PI, ODS 121 with the SSS PI and so on....so I guess whatever he wanted to call them
Max

Post by Max »

Bombacaototal wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:42 am ... what makes a Dumbleland is the ...
word "Dumbleland" or its abbreviation "DL" written on the front or back of a chassis that is mounted to the bottom of its head-cabinet (there are no Dumbleland combo-amps). Everything else is more or less different from specimen to specimen.

Explanation by A. Dumble:
" ... That's the toughest thing about staying with one thing. You're always thinking of new ways to do it. Basically, I've kept the Overdrive the same but the other models are open to flexibility. ..." A. Dumble 1985 https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22012
Here's one with the "DL" abbreviation on its back and without a 12AU7 or 12BH7:

dumble-the-pentoden-silver-foil-crocodi-x7tn8Ys.jpg
dumble-the-pentoden-silver-foil-crocodile.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

is that Ry Cooders amp?

M
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

Max wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:29 pm
Bombacaototal wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:42 am ... what makes a Dumbleland is the ...
word "Dumbleland" or its abbreviation "DL" written on the front or back of a chassis that is mounted to the bottom of its head-cabinet (there are no Dumbleland combo-amps). Everything else is more or less different from specimen to specimen.

" ... That's the toughest thing about staying with one thing. You're always thinking of new ways to do it. Basically, I've kept the Overdrive the same but the other models are open to flexibility. ..." A. Dumble 1985 https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22012

I always thought that was the steel string singer #014, the pentode silver alligator. Never realised the DL designation, thanks for bringing it up
talbany

Post by talbany »

norburybrook wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:49 pm is that Ry Cooders amp?

M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga6RAwIMxD4
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Max

Post by Max »

This is a rumor that arose from an interview by Steven Rosen with A. Dumble for a European guitarist magazine including this picture with the caption "Howard Dumble working on an amp for Ry Cooder ...": http://web.archive.org/web/200604270322 ... e/dmag.jpg
talbany

Post by talbany »

Max wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:29 pm

Thanks Max!.. Dumble also being a Custom amp builder it's possible to separate certain amps into two different category's all together. You could put amps such as the Silver Alligator Ry Cooder/SRV's SSS's and Todd Sharp's 121 into a prototype 1 off custom made amp for a high visibility player, where Dumble might have taken certain designs and combined them for a particular players needs . In the Case of Stevie's SSS though we know that Dumble purposely used the 12AU/BH7/ PI (Dumbleland) for Stevie which he refers to as "cleaner" than the usual SVT style CFD used in the standard (Cataloged) SSS's...Same with the Sharp ODS's. These amps would be far different and more open to flexibility than the ones you would find in his advertised/catalogue..
Perhaps we should separate the 2?
Tony
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

talbany wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:15 pm

M
Judging by the trem sound to my ears it sounds closer to Rys Borderline than the Alligator which uses the fender blackface one
talbany

Post by talbany »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:28 am

M
Judging by the trem sound to my ears it sounds closer to Rys Borderline than the Alligator which uses the fender blackface one
T
o get an idea, how the cleansounds of this amps are with tremolo and a bit of reverb listen to Ry Cooders "Crossroads" track 8, "Feelin' Bad Blues". This kind of "acoustic" sound I could easily get with the Pentode amp using a maple neck strat with usual strat single coils, jazz on, bright switch on, deep switch on (? not sure, maybe off) volume around 4 or 5, treble 9, middle 7, bass around 7 (not sure, maybe around 4), presence around 7, bit of reverb, slow tremolo.
But this is for sure not the amp for someone who is a fan of the signature SRV DL/SSS sounds. But if you like the guitar sound of this "Crossroads" take, you will not find an amp better suited. Great, great blues amp it was/is.
https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 682#p69682

Tony
Max

Post by Max »

talbany wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:45 pm...These amps would be far different and more open to flexibility than the ones you would find in his advertised/catalogue..
Perhaps we should separate the 2? ...
I have already set out my personal opinion on this question here: https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 70#p431770

Regarding the specifics of the "Dumbleland" Overdrive Special #006 amplifier discussed in this thread, I think it might be instructive to find a sharper picture of the article about this amplifier and someone who can translate it from Japanese.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

talbany wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:40 am
T
o get an idea, how the cleansounds of this amps are with tremolo and a bit of reverb listen to Ry Cooders "Crossroads" track 8, "Feelin' Bad Blues". This kind of "acoustic" sound I could easily get with the Pentode amp using a maple neck strat with usual strat single coils, jazz on, bright switch on, deep switch on (? not sure, maybe off) volume around 4 or 5, treble 9, middle 7, bass around 7 (not sure, maybe around 4), presence around 7, bit of reverb, slow tremolo.
But this is for sure not the amp for someone who is a fan of the signature SRV DL/SSS sounds. But if you like the guitar sound of this "Crossroads" take, you will not find an amp better suited. Great, great blues amp it was/is.

Tony
I've seen those, but how reliable is the source? I have played many blackface tremolos and to my ears they sound nothing like that?! But it's my personal opinion...
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

M
I'll take that as a yes then :) I still have that album on vinyl :)

I've yet to see him live...I bought tickets well in advance when he came to london a couple of years ago but I ended up on tour, in fact he was at the same venue the night after me. My wife went with my friend and Eric Clapton! ....she said it was a spiritual experience...

here's a clip form the actual gig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGPKUNm ... =ytubepaul

I'm so gutted not to have been there.

M
talbany

Post by talbany »

Bombacaototal wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:30 am
talbany wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:40 am

T

Tony
I've seen those, but how reliable is the source? I have played many blackface tremolos and to my ears they sound nothing like that?! But it's my personal opinion...

i believe it comes from someone who actually owned the amp at one time AFAIK :D

Tony
talbany

Post by talbany »

Regarding the specifics of the "Dumbleland" Overdrive Special #006 amplifier discussed in this thread, I think it might be instructive to find a sharper picture of the article about this amplifier and someone who can translate it from Japanese.
TA-DA!! :lol: :D So what actually makes this a "Dumbleland Overdrive Special" vs a
2nd Generation ODS? Must be somewhere in the power amp section?
BTW..The way he describes how the tone controls function reminds me of a 2nd generation.
It doesn't change no matter how much you play with the equalizer,
HOWARD DUMBLE " DUMBLELAND" OVERDRIVE SPECIAL
◎ Rear panel
On the rear panel, from the right overdrive pedal-in, preamp out, speaker out, the impedance selector switch line up. The model number of the vacuum tube is written on the upper surface of the chassis, and the heavy power transformer is located behind the four 6550 tubes.

○ Front panel
The terminals and controls lined up on the front panel are from the left, input x 2 (normal, FET), volume, bright switch, deep switch, guitar / mic selector switch, and treble (upper -/+). Switch), Middle Bass (Upper -/+ Switch), Overdrive (Upper Pedal / Manual Switch) Level, Accent Switch, Starve Switch, Standby Switch, On / Off Switch, Ground ·switch.
◎ Switches 1
From the left, the three switches are bright, deep, and guitar / mic switching (the use of this switch is unknown, but there is a theory that it may be an input switching for electric acoustic guitars that began to spread in the early 70's). Also, the right on the treble and base located on the side, to the degree the high / low and variable effectiveness equalizer "- / +" switch is also provided.
◎ Overdrive
Overdrive to control the unique distortion sound. On top of that, required to turn on / off the overdrive pedal, manual / pedal changeover switch has also been prepared (this individuals doesn’t come with original pedal).

◎ Switches 2
The two switches are accent on the left. The right is Starve. The effect of these two switches could not be clarified in this trial.

The Howard Dumble Amplifier has become a legend due to its rarity and the patronage of top musicians .
INTRODUCTION
Dumble amplifier is now a legend due to its rarity as a fully made-to-order product, the astounding market price that accompanies it, and the patronage of top-notch musicians such as Larry Carlton, Bonnie Raitt, Lowell George, and David Lindley.
There are many mysteries about the character of its creator, Howard Dumble, but his career as an amp maker began in the mid-1960s when he met Semie Moseley and subcontracted a Mosrite amp for The Ventures. Then, Dumble start the production of the original amps incorporates a unique design concept. In 1966, he started The "Dumbleland" series, which impressed the guitarist with the sound of Dumble overdrive, and the predecessor of "Steel string singer" known as by Stevie Ray Vaughan’s favorite.
This is one of those Dumblelands, and of course, it was probably made on the order of a musician. From the specifications of each part and the pot date, it is probably made in the mid to late 1970s, but this is beyond speculation. Circuit of one channel / 3 volume, and pre-amp of the 7025 × 2 and 12AU7X1, power amp of 12BH7 × 1,6550 × 4 is composed of a (vacuum tube seems original, made General Electronics Corp.). Laid out power transformer on the left side from the back is very heavy, When lifting the head, you have to be careful that the transformer side tilts greatly.The unique specifications of a dumble amplifier, such as a total of five control switches, a suede cover ring attached to the front of the head, and a circuit board made of plywood wood, are also interesting.
○ Reference price : 2,300,000 yen (vintage market price including cabinet on the right page) OSPECIFICATIONS
● Estimated output: 200W ● Vacuum tube: 7025×2, 12AU7X1, 12BH7×1, 6550×4
● Input: Normal / FET, Overdrive pedal in / output: Speaker out × 2, Preamp out
Equipment provided by : Hyper Guitars 203-5386-4910

Shigeru's View
Overdrive sound is unique. Anyway, it's an amp that has a strong personality or a habit .
Suzuki: The tone of distortion is a little different. It's a tone that hard rock people don't use very often, but if it is said that Larry Carlton was using it, I feel like I can take it. The sound is thin, and since there are few mid-low frequencies, it often gives a crisp feeling, but it does not become a thick sound. It doesn't change no matter how much you play with the equalizer, so it's a basic characteristic of this amp . Also, as the name "Overdrive Special" is attached, even if the overdrive is set to 0 , the volume starts to distort from about 3. When it comes to the overall character, it's more of a modern amp I feel you ........, such as those belonging to the system in the area in the hi-fi sounds provided with a valley, Toka strength of the stiffness of the mid-range, such as in the old Fender amp, ear I don't feel that it's so painful that it comes out as "Tsun". Anyway, this is a strong personality, or you can feel a habit. It seems that all the dumble amps are made to order , so this tone that seems peculiar to me may have been made at the request of a guitarist.

Sugaya: Using four 6550 output tubes. This 12BH7 tube will earn the voltage to drive the 6550. ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ ・ When you look at the structure of an amplifier, it seems surprisingly orthodox. However, the fact that the power is amplified in two stages using a 12BH7 tube may be said to be closer to an audio amplifier than a guitar amplifier.

Suzuki: If you say that, the whole thing feels like an audio amplifier, which may have led to the impression of hi-fi. As for the feeling I used in the recording, when I played a single note on the lower fret in the riff part, a very good sound came out in the middle of my feelings.

Recording settings
Riff (crunch)
Arpeggio (clean)
Solo (lead)
Input is FET only for solo . All switches are off.

Measurement with spectrum analyzer
● Table 1
● Table 1 settings
● Table 2

Table 1 measures Suzuki's Stratocaster settings (see panel diagram below). It can be seen that two peaks are set around 160Hz and around 1.25K to 2KHz, and the band between them, 400 to 500Hz, is dropped. Table 2 shows measurements with all equalizers such as treble and middle at position 5, and although the 160Hz peak in Table 1 is smaller, the characteristic that there is a valley at 400 to 500Hz has changed. Absent.
Results of the measurement of the point of action of each equalizer, Treble is in the band of 800Hz on ~ (in points acting significantly even in 2.5KH z ~), the band up to the middle is 315 ~ 500 Hz, base 250 Hz ~ It is interesting that the effect of the middle is very narrow because it acts on each of the lower bands. It was also found that the bright switch has a characteristic similar to the presence control that uniformly raises the band above 1.25 KHz, and the deep switch has the characteristic of raising 100 Hz or less.

Speaker cabinet
Rare genuine cabinet that was used in the trial is, Rear open type loading 4x Altec 12.
In addition to Altec, Dumble prefers to use JBL Electro Voice speakers.
(article translation courtesy of Tylerblaster)
CCI_000011.jpg
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by talbany on Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bombacaototal

Post by Bombacaototal »

talbany wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:53 am
Bombacaototal wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:30 am

i believe it comes from someone who actually owned the amp at one time AFAIK :D

Tony
Oh ok, no arguing with that :)