P.S. for Dumblelator

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Chris G

P.S. for Dumblelator

Post by Chris G »

Hi Guy's,
Here is a shot of a homebrew Dumblelator that was posted on ampage......I haven't had time to do a sche or lay on it yet.It does give a good shot of a power supply tranny though. enjoy!!! Thanks to Bob I and Norm.....hope this works
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ayan

Re: P.S. for Dumblelator

Post by ayan »

Hi,

That would be my D-lator clone, of all things. I'm sure that I posted that quite a few years ago in Ampage, I haven't posted anything there in ages.... Anyway, basically my D-lator clones have stayed the same since I first built them. At some point I was bored and decided to run the filamentes of the 12AX7 on DC, so I added a rectified board and a voltage regulator (which you can see on the picture posted here). I didn't hear any difference at all in sound in sound, so I would not encourage anyone to bother.

One thing I know, and most of you probably do as well, is that Robben Ford's Dumbleator does have a choke in it -- as shown on a picture ot it that has floating around the Internet for some time now. I never worked too hard at trying to find the exact little power transformer that Dumble used in the real thing, but I suspect that the voltages Dumble used are higher than those achieved by the flat pack I use. Still, I haven't run out of headroom by hitting the voltage rails with the flat pack, so it's a keeper.

Cheers,

Gil
Normster

Post by Normster »

Totally OT, but...Hi Gil! :)

First time I've seen you post anywhere, but Scott speaks VERY highly of you. I hope you'll drop in often and keep us from telling lies and spreading myths. LOL

Take care,
Norm
ayan

Post by ayan »

Hey Norm, I went to Sac Sate as a youngster! ;)

That was my first post on this board, I didn't even know it existed until a couple of days ago -- I knew about the Trainwreck board, though. Not to bore anyone to death with stories, but I was heavily into BBs back from '99 to 2002 maybe, which is when I built the bulk of my amps. As destiny would have it, I am coming out of retirement <temporarily> to build one more amp starting very soon, and so I thought I'd get myself "in the mood" by checking out this board.

As I am building this amp, I have been/will be cleaning up my schematics, parts lits, pictures and all of that. When I am done, I will be willing post them for all to see, provided someone is able to host the information. At the end of the day, the veil of secrecy makes no sense anymore for a number of reasons: I don't think it really ever made any sense in the first place; details have been leaked over the years from various sources; some people are making good money selling *umble clones (some great, some good, some bad) while there are still some aficionados without the correct schematics; many people take credit for things that have been around for as long as 30 years in some cases; etc.

So, more to come soon. :D

Gil
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

You can upload files directly to this board. No additional hosting required. :D
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

ayan wrote:Hey Norm, I went to Sac Sate as a youngster! ;)

That was my first post on this board, I didn't even know it existed until a couple of days ago -- I knew about the Trainwreck board, though. Not to bore anyone to death with stories, but I was heavily into BBs back from '99 to 2002 maybe, which is when I built the bulk of my amps. As destiny would have it, I am coming out of retirement <temporarily> to build one more amp starting very soon, and so I thought I'd get myself "in the mood" by checking out this board.

As I am building this amp, I have been/will be cleaning up my schematics, parts lits, pictures and all of that. When I am done, I will be willing post them for all to see, provided someone is able to host the information. At the end of the day, the veil of secrecy makes no sense anymore for a number of reasons: I don't think it really ever made any sense in the first place; details have been leaked over the years from various sources; some people are making good money selling *umble clones (some great, some good, some bad) while there are still some aficionados without the correct schematics; many people take credit for things that have been around for as long as 30 years in some cases; etc.

So, more to come soon. :D

Gil
Hi Gil,
I thought about asking if you were around here before I posted,I hope you don't mind :D

Gil, Glad to see your comeing out of retirement if only to build 1 more amp,The ones I've seen online have looked amazing!!!!!!

I'm sure all the Guy's here would love to see the info you gathered over the years.
Again sorry I didn't ask first!!!!
Chris G
ayan

Post by ayan »

Chris, no problem posting the picture. Whatever I generate and post publically somewhere, whether it be a picture, schematic, etc., is meant to be shared with other people. The only request I have ever made is: don't charge any money for that info, and don't take credit for it. I am glad to say that my requests have always been honored through the years, which is great. 8)

Gil
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hey Gil,
It's great to see you posting here with the forum. I am one of the many grateful people you have generously helped by providing information to regarding these amps. I am very pleased with the result. I just need to make a stand alone Dumbleator and I will be finished. Maybe.
As destiny would have it, I am coming out of retirement
<temporarily> to build one more amp starting very soon, and so I thought I'd get myself "in the mood" by checking out this board.
You warned me about the amp building addiction and it sounded like you had it licked. I'm sorry to see your still hooked. NOT!! Misery loves company and I will really look forward to hearing the latest from you.

Again, Thanks so much!!!!
Robert
Omar

Post by Omar »

Gil,
Welcome to the forum! I am the admin of this forum and am really glad to see you post here. I remember reading about your Dumble clones on your webpage years ago and being very impressed. It's an honor having you here.

I'm curious on whether you have ever heard from Dumble directly or indirectly about your work. You seemed to be the most public Dumble clone builder back in the late 90's early 2000's.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
ayan

Post by ayan »

Yikes! No, I never heard from Dumble.... and that's what prompted all of it! Really, my story goes like this: I got his number through RF in the early 90s. I called him, he sent me the info I requested and I thought the amps were too expensive (around $5.5K at the time) so I didn't order one. Time went by, maybe a couple of years, and I figured I might as well get an amp regardeless of the price. So I called the man back, faxed him and wrote him, but nothing. I realized then that if I wanted an amp I would have to build it myself, and that was that.

Gil
fred_farkel

Here we go!

Post by fred_farkel »

Its good to see Mr. Ayan on here, I've read good things and look forward to seeing the schematics and all. As a long time musician and newbee to all this electronic stuff I feel more encouraged to try my hand at building a clone, so much so I've studied schematics and succsfully repaired my mesa SOB, started an 18 watt progect and I did this without loosing another screwsriver tip!!! I have a umble board I got off the net with all the holes already there and a pretty bad drawing. I've made a list of parts from other versons from here and other sources but will wait till Mr Ayan makes his post to complete the parts list. This will also give me time to study the layout and make some notes. With the help and info I've recieved from here I'm feeling pretty good about doing this myself. And after seeing the bassman photos....oh yea!
Thanks everyone, I'll keep you all informed on my progress.
Normster

Post by Normster »

I have a umble board I got off the net with all the holes already there and a pretty bad drawing.
If those are the boards that come with the chassis Natchanis sells (Bangkok), you might be better off building your own. The preamp board is missing the OD2 input circuit. The power supply board is usable but layed out for smaller IC caps. The bias board doesn't have the correct number of diodes. I think the FET board was actually pretty close. Also, the brass eyelets aren't tinned and will likely be a real pain to solder.

You can get 1/16" Garrolite (G10/FR4) from McMaster-Carr. Runs about $7 for a 12" x 12" sheet. One sheet is enough to cut two complete sets of boards if you lay it out right. (One set is used as an insulator on the bottom of the eyeletted board.) Tinned eyelets are available from Mouser for about $.04 each. You'll need about 100. I use a drill press to stake the eyelets, but a light tap with a punch is all it takes.
ElectronAvalanche

Post by ElectronAvalanche »

Hi Gil,

good to see you here!

How come you are working on another amp? I thought you were retiring from the homebrewing for good?

It´s great to have you on the board!

Cheers,

Dominik
ayan

Post by ayan »

ElectronAvalanche wrote:Hi Gil,

good to see you here!

How come you are working on another amp? I thought you were retiring from the homebrewing for good?

It´s great to have you on the board!

Cheers,

Dominik
Hello Dominik,

To make a long story short, a nice guy (and you know who you are) gave me a chassis which I managed to ignore for a few months. At the same time, I found some buyers for a couple of my amps; I parted with one of them last month, and have tentatively parted with another one as we speak. That means I am down to one amp for myself, which is one too few, so I now have the perfect excuse for building a new amp in the empty chassis I will no longer be ingoring for much longer. :D

Gil
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

Hey Gil,

Great to see you here, I was wondering when you'd turn up!! There goes the neighborhood!!! :D
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works