Dumble Bargain

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Max

Re: Dumble Bargain

Post by Max »

And which date exactly are you interested in in terms of "building" this Odyssey? For example: Placing of the order? Delivery of the first finished version to the first owner? Completion of the version in which this Odyssey was offered for sale in this music store in 1988? Completion of the version in which this Odyssey is now for sale?
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

Max wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:45 pm And which date exactly are you interested in in terms of "building" this Odyssey? For example: Placing of the order? Delivery of the first finished version to the first owner? Completion of the version in which this Odyssey was offered for sale in this music store in 1988? Completion of the version in which this Odyssey is now for sale?
Do you have any information on this amp?

I'm not sure how semantics of the word "building" is going to further the discussion of this amp. I think everyone would agree that "built" refers to the date the amp was initially constructed.
Ian
Max

Post by Max »

ijedouglas wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:25 pm Based on the listing description, the amp was brought back to HAD after he bought it in 1988 to have the tremolo circuit installed. HAD also seemed to use the MIEC caps in later (5th gen on) amps. I don't think we should be trying to date the amp based on those MIEC caps :D The TVAs do seem to be original though.
As I understand it, instrument collectors rate an instrument as still completely in its "original" condition if, at the time of this evaluation, it is still 100% in the condition in which it left the place of manufacture after completion.

However, the listing description linked in the first post does not contain any information as to when this Odyssey was handed over by Alexander Dumble to its first owner. And it is also not known whether 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, or 15 years have passed from the start of work on this Odyssey to its completion.

Based solely on this one photo of the interior of this Odyssey, which is now being shown as part of this listing description, it is not possible, in my opinion, to definitively determine whether these two MIEC capacitors were installed in this Odyssey by Alexander Dumble before it was sold to its first owner, or at a later date.

About the history of this amplifier up to the point at which Billy found it in this music shop in 1988, this listing description only reports that it was the property of some unnamed band member of Little Feat for some unknown period of time. And band members of Little Feat were still active in the 80s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Feat. Otherwise, one learns absolutely nothing about this period until 1988.

So in my opinion, there is no information in this listing descriprion that can be used to clearly prove or refute whether these two MIEC capacitors were installed in this amplifier before or after Alexander Dumble handed it over to its first owner.

And if nobody here knows from a reliable source that these two MIEC capacitors were not yet available in the USA in the first half of the 80s, then in my opinion one cannot rule out that they were already in this Odyssey when Alexander Dumble sold it to its first owner.

And if these two MIEC capacitors were already installed in this Odyssey when it was sold by Alexander Dumble to its first owner, then from my understanding they would be just as "original" as the three TVA capacitors.
talbany

Post by talbany »

This Odyssey has a build date of 1973 (original TVA's Caps say 72) but has 50 uF. (2X 100uF)
o0600045013854811245.jpg
o1000075013854811236.jpg

https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31595
UmbleOdyssey00012 (1).jpg
This one appears to be 40uF (2X 80uF @ 350)

The one (with MIEC caps) is 100uF (2X 200uF)
Oddessey (1).jpg
Could upping the value of the mains filters have been a part of the "Tune Up" Process??
BTW These were the only shots I have of the cap values visible in my collection of Odyssey's. If someone has a clear shot of another one loaded with 2X 200uF on the board (with cap dates) would love to see them.

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
Max

Post by Max »

These are two pictures of Henry Kaiser's/John Mayer's preamp:

23d8eb71-5d9e-4411-83c8-9720acef7b1b.jpg

ecb9d019-b57e-472a-9e4d-762c6a0117ef.jpg

Source: http://www.amparchives.com/folder/2529/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.