Hey Robben, where's your Dumble?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Shanedawg

Re: Hey Robben, where's your Dumble?

Post by Shanedawg »

I’m sorry guys but those songs in the link are lackadaisical and the tone is blah. Just kinda there to me. I saw him in OKC with a super reverb(back line) and a tube screamer and it killed this. No idea why he used ts and not a zendrive. He kinda phoned the whole show in.
pullshocks

Post by pullshocks »

Robben Ford played the Triple Door in Seattle this weekend. Robben, drummer, bass, and sax.

I was way in the back but it looks like his amps were the Little Walter and a Fender Twin. He was playing a black PRS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Now that y’all mention it …all due respect, but I too have been less inspired by what I hear lately , but specifically from the Dumble (Alexander) …

Does 102 still have F&T power supply capacitors? I have never liked the way they tend to color the sound, always feels like the magic midrange gets sucked out. I have a sneaking suspicion that swapping those out with something more appropriate would restore some of the lost qualities I am missing . Robben is an amazing player regardless, just my experience and 2cents .
Charlie
Ang3lus

Post by Ang3lus »

What filter caps do you think are more suitable ?
Lothy

Post by Lothy »

WhopperPlate wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:28 pm Does 102 still have F&T power supply capacitors? I have never liked the way they tend to color the sound, always feels like the magic midrange gets sucked out. I have a sneaking suspicion that swapping those out with something more appropriate would restore some of the lost qualities I am missing . Robben is an amazing player regardless, just my experience and 2cents .
Please explain, how a filter cap could suck out any magic mids?
Filter caps are not anywhere near the signal path. All they do is to smooth out the ripple of the dc.

Cheers
Gerhard
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Gerhard

Oh dang , you must be right , pay no attention to me. Forget I said anything. Definitely don’t try this yourself.

Cheers friend
Charlie
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

Ang3lus wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:31 am What filter caps do you think are more suitable ?
IMO , honestly anything but F&T . I personally like sprague, ARS, and Vishay BC. I cant say what would work best, just what doesn’t work for me .
Charlie
mojotom

Post by mojotom »

WhopperPlate wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:02 pm
Ang3lus wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:31 am What filter caps do you think are more suitable ?
IMO , honestly anything but F&T . I personally like sprague, ARS, and Vishay BC. I cant say what would work best, just what doesn’t work for me .
That is quite interesting. I noticed quite a change soundwise when I compare JJ caps to F&T on the first reservoir capacitors, the JJ felt punchier and more robust. Did keep the F&T because I’m used to them and questionnes the quality of the JJ caps but there could be something to dig here.

I thought Sprague were overpriced and I had issue with them in the long run, guess I will test some of those.

I noticed a difference between Sprague bypass caps (TVA and TE series) compare to Nitchicon TVX and I prefer the later.

Also noticed 2Rock did not use F&T on their main first filter capacitors too.
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

mojotom wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:07 pm That is quite interesting. I noticed quite a change soundwise when I compare JJ caps to F&T on the first reservoir capacitors, the JJ felt punchier and more robust. Did keep the F&T because I’m used to them and questionnes the quality of the JJ caps but there could be something to dig here.

I thought Sprague were overpriced and I had issue with them in the long run, guess I will test some of those.

I noticed a difference between Sprague bypass caps (TVA and TE series) compare to Nitchicon TVX and I prefer the later.

Also noticed 2Rock did not use F&T on their main first filter capacitors too.
I started out using F&T for everything until I started experimenting with other caps and had a similar experience. The F&Ts were dull and were replaced in short order. Really like Roederstein/Sprague TVA/Nichicon TVX.

BTW, I also had a similar experience with the dropping string resistors and even more interesting was the balance resistors... I'm sure this is going to open up the usual can of worms :)
Ian
Abe5150

Post by Abe5150 »

Has anyone tried the Jupiter wet series caps??
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

ijedouglas wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:03 pm... I'm sure this is going to open up the usual can of worms :)
Yeah, probably. https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... t-stirring
ijedouglas

Post by ijedouglas »

martin manning wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:57 pm
ijedouglas wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:03 pm... I'm sure this is going to open up the usual can of worms :)
Yeah, probably. https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... t-stirring
:shock: :lol:
Ian
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

martin manning wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:57 pm [quote=ijedouglas post_id=443014 time=<a href="tel:1658408612">1658408612</a> user_id=17512]... I'm sure this is going to open up the usual can of worms :)
Uh oh, I knew I should have kept my filthy mouth shut :lol:

…I can already hear everyone clicking “send payment “ to parts distributors.

Have fun :twisted:
Charlie
Richard1001

Post by Richard1001 »

Lothy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:46 am
WhopperPlate wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:28 pm Does 102 still have F&T power supply capacitors? I have never liked the way they tend to color the sound, always feels like the magic midrange gets sucked out. I have a sneaking suspicion that swapping those out with something more appropriate would restore some of the lost qualities I am missing . Robben is an amazing player regardless, just my experience and 2cents .
Please explain, how a filter cap could suck out any magic mids?
Filter caps are not anywhere near the signal path. All they do is to smooth out the ripple of the dc.

Cheers
Gerhard
I think filtercaps are about just as 'near the signalpath' as for instance a cathode bypass capacitor. There is a reason Nichicon, Panasonic and lots of others make audio grade electrolythic filter caps.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Richard1001 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:25 amThere is a reason Nichicon, Panasonic and lots of others make audio grade electrolythic filter caps.
Here is the reason according to Nichicon https://www.nichiconcapacitors.com :

What is audio grade capacitor?

This is capacitors specifically for audio applications. These are designed to give premium sound quality when compared to general purpose capacitors. Nichicon's Audio series, ideally suited for first class audio equipment where qualitative and quantitative characteristics are required.

I can't find any mention or reference to physical features or specifications that make audio grade capacitors "ideally suited for first class audio equipment."

Dave Jones riffs on Panasonic audio grade caps (and a lot of other audiophoolery) in this video: https://youtu.be/m7ERMu825m4?t=362