Overdrive Gain question.

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dragonbat13

Overdrive Gain question.

Post by dragonbat13 »

Just to clarify, from the least amount to the highest, where does each era/type of overdrive special fit. I am under the impression the blues master was the highest amount of gain.

So can someone list them from low to high?
erwin_ve

Re: Overdrive Gain question.

Post by erwin_ve »

Dragonbat: there is no conclusive answer to this matter. Fe high plate resistors generally generate more gain. In several eras of the ods there are sometimes low plate and sometimes high plates. Same applies for Overdrive trimmers/ratio pots etc.
Does the v1b stage have a Lnfb?
Then there is the phase inverter: does it count as gain?
The bluesmaster PI has a lower headroom and will distort early in comparison with earlier gen.

Erwin
Last edited by erwin_ve on Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
talbany

Post by talbany »

Generally speaking any O.D.S equipped with HRM (tone stack) will have less gain Than a "Non-HRM"
(Add in Erwin"s post to this and draw up your list)
Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
dragonbat13

Post by dragonbat13 »

Ok, as stated there's no real answer. It's the specific topology.

Sonny Landreths tone on grant street live is the tone I'm thinking,
and for all I know he may not be using a Dumble on that album. I thought I read where it was down in the Milk Fridge of the Grant street hall, which used to be a milk dairy or something. I live an hour away from Lafayette Louisiana. I should look into this hall, which is no longer.
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

To be clear, when you say gain, do you mean distorted sound? The Bluesmaster was probably designed for that, more so than the other ODS, but even a low-plate is capable of doing heavily distorted tones.
talbany

Post by talbany »

The Bluesmaster design (Landreth"s ODS) has a Marshall style PI which is what gives it it's unique distorted texture vs say an earlier 2nd 3rd or 4th generation ODS which is more in the "Fender" style.
So if your looking for that distorted sound in Sonny's amp then I would go with a straight up Blusemaster and not be to concerned with the amps "gain factor"

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
llemtt

Post by llemtt »

Regarding ODSs I wonder how many owners actually use power amp to generate their distortion sounds in order to put the PI into the gain equation... ?

Anyway "gain" is not a universally well defined concept. If you mean "maximum overall voltage gain possible from input to speaker" bluesmaster should be the winner.
WhopperPlate

Post by WhopperPlate »

llemtt wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:42 pm Regarding ODSs I wonder how many owners actually use power amp to generate their distortion sounds in order to put the PI into the gain equation... ?

Anyway "gain" is not a universally well defined concept. If you mean "maximum overall voltage gain possible from input to speaker" bluesmaster should be the winner.

I usually play this type circuit with master above 2 o’clock , keeping the OD gain at +- noon and the volume pretty open, clean gain 12-2 o clock . Sings and blooms with a cleaner tone that behaves like its higher gain , without being high gain . Obviously each amp has its own sweet spot.
Charlie