My '63 Dumble-modded Princeton (?)

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

Re: My '63 Dumble-modded Princeton (?)

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Yeah, Tony said told me he didn't care for the black Sprague Atoms that I have been using for years. I finally tried some different bypass caps and realized well... how bad those things sound, especially in Dumble circuits. Rolled off top end and kind of a loose bottom end. Tony, I like the purple Nichicon but can't find most the other stuff like Nichicon Gold in axial caps(for bypass). I guess if Dumble "optimized" that amp I've been optimizing hundreds of amps over the last decade. :D
CW
talbany

Post by talbany »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:57 am Yeah, Tony said told me he didn't care for the black Sprague Atoms that I have been using for years. I finally tried some different bypass caps and realized well... how bad those things sound, especially in Dumble circuits. Rolled off top end and kind of a loose bottom end. Tony, I like the purple Nichicon but can't find most the other stuff like Nichicon Gold in axial caps(for bypass). I guess if Dumble "optimized" that amp I've been optimizing hundreds of amps over the last decade. :D
CW
Crap! the Axials are getting tougher to find.They had them about a year ago..I just looked up the cost of those Black Spragues, they are like over $2.50 + shipping now at Antique :roll: Try these :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-10-NICHICO ... SwvNddTGBG
Free Shipping.
Honestly?..I don't know that I would be as concerned about bypass cap types in an amp like a Chump or a Princess with a 50 year old 10 "Alnico hanging from it :? ODS's another story!

Tony
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

talbany wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:41 amCrap! the Axials are getting tougher to find...
Axial caps of all types are disappearing, and this is a creeping problem for builders and repairers of classic tube amps. Boutique signal caps are selling for $4+. Can boutique axial electrolytics be far behind?
erwin_ve

Post by erwin_ve »

I got a email 1 yr ago from mouser stating the Nichicon tvx is EOL.
Elna Rfs Silmic II is a nice radial cap, over here in EU not too expensive.
talbany

Post by talbany »

erwin_ve wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:14 pm I got a email 1 yr ago from mouser stating the Nichicon tvx is EOL.
BTW.The Black Gates (Fuchs) and Silmics are supposed to be the Holy Grails! :roll:
Axial caps of all types are disappearing,
Through Hole resistors worry me next (Surface Mount) ROHAS :evil:
Sorry for the Hijack back to Princeton
Tony
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

talbany wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:13 pm
erwin_ve wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:14 pm I got a email 1 yr ago from mouser stating the Nichicon tvx is EOL.
BTW.The Black Gates (Fuchs) and Silmics are supposed to be the Holy Grails! :roll:
Axial caps of all types are disappearing,
Through Hole resistors worry me next (Surface Mount) ROHAS :evil:
Sorry for the Hijack back to Princeton
Tony
In the pioneering days (when I built amps in a covered-wagon), I used black gate caps and Holco black resistors in the front end of the ODS'. Holy shit they sounded and felt amazing...! It's a shame neither part is available (for all practical purposes) nor RoHs when you can find them. I get an occasional amp back from that period for repair and am just shocked at how nice those parts sounded. I also did EL-34's and A-470 Dynaco output iron in a few...fun amps.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
talbany

Post by talbany »

I also did EL-34's and A-470 Dynaco output iron in a few...fun amps.
Yeah Buddy!..I once pulled an A-470 and stuck it on a Black Flag JTM-45 build with a fairly new set of XF-2's and Brimar AX's all around..I loaned it to a friend for some session work, He would not give it back..I didn't want to ruin our friendship so I ended up selling it to him months later :roll: The best way to describe it was open airy on the top end and a punchy low-end with tons of harmonics jumping off the windings..I miss that amp. :roll:

The Hafler Scatterwind 8)
Tony
talbany

Post by talbany »

Just to set the record straight and so everyone knows 094 does not have a bypass cap. 1st one I've seen.

Tony
#094.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

talbany wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:44 am Just to set the record straight and so everyone knows 094 does not have a bypass cap. 1st one I've seen.

Tony
Never noticed the missing bypass cap.
Also has a 1 meg trimpot, wouldn't be too many with that value?

Aaron
ubikwidus

Post by ubikwidus »

danny_777 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:34 pm Hello!

I have an amp which I'd be grateful for some community input on (as someone who is entirely incapable when it comes to electronics, circuitry, etc), and which may be of interest to you guys.

I have a wonderful old Fender Princeton from late 1963 - it's a transitional "tuxedo" model, so the blackface livery with the brownface 6G2 circuit. It's a beautiful thing. I was told by the previous owner that it is actually the amp pictured on page 50 of the "First 50 Years of Fender Amps" book.

The amp sounds absolutely spectacular - guitars sound very "full" and very dynamic through it, and all sorts of overtones and harmonics jump out at higher volumes. It's truly wonderful to play. Anecdotally, everyone who's ever played it has offered to buy it on the spot!

I bought this 5/6 years ago, and have a printed chain of emails indicating that the amp was modified or "optimised" by Howard Dumble some years ago. I haven't given this too much thought over the years but decided to investigate this properly.

You can see my pictures below.

From some research, it seems that Dumble used to stamp his modded/rebuilt Fender amps "A.D.". This stamp is present in the main body of the 'cage'. I've also found some pics of an old Dumble Bandmaster, in which you can see the exact same stamp, with the faded first leg of the "A" and the weird backwards tick through the "D", here: http://www.amparchives.com/folder/2519/

There's also a number inscribed on the speaker in the same place and handwriting as I've seen on some other apparent Dumble/Fender mods.

I'd be hugely grateful for your thoughts. I put this on another forum and Rob Livesey from the UK, who seems knowledgeable on these matters, indicated that it has "all the hallmarks" of a Dumble-modded amp.

Very nice! I'd like to know where the info about HAD stamping the initials "A.D." comes from. That is if there is other info besides the photos presented here. The tube socket cover on the Bandmaster may have been stamped on this piece from its time in normal service as a tube socket cover, and thus could be a factory holdover from what ever worker controlled the assembly of that part. I've seen other Fenders from this era with the stamp "A.E." and "A.D." between power tubes and/or the rectifer and the power tube. Not doubting that you have a Dumble. Just looking for failsafe proof in case other amps out there could be sussed.....