Let's talk tone stacks

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

BobW

Re: Let's talk tone stacks

Post by BobW »

Maybe I fooled myself to think it changed, since the tone controls now work more effectively. Although I did resolder a few of the buss grounds. thanks
pedro

Post by pedro »

has anyone tried fixed resistor values or simplified fixed network for the post OD stack ??

- I cant get hold of the trimpots in the right values for the standard Hybrid A post OD tone stack here in the UK, but have loads of carbon films to use to build and try a fixed network.

cheers
Pete
kiwiandy

Post by kiwiandy »

Here's a circuit of the tone stack I've been using lately. I've replaced the rock/jazz sw. with a 3 position mid boost using a centre-off switch. The first 2 positions are standard, giving a treble cap values of about 1000p and 330p, but when the 220k resistor is switched into the circuit you get an effective value of about 120p. The idea was pinched from a hiwatt tone stack and does a fairly good impression of a clean hiwatt sound (to my ears at least). The deep switch changes the mid cap from 10n to 20n, which gives a more useful range of sounds than the standard one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Are you using Log taper for the MID control?
Is this better than audio taper for Mids?
I havn't tryed it and wanted to know if one gives a smoother/gradual range than the other.
kiwiandy

Post by kiwiandy »

Yeah, the mid pot is a 250k 10% log taper (i.e. about 25k at half rotation). Same with the bass pot (500k 10% log taper). I'm not really sure what the difference is between log and audio tapers, but the 10% tapers work fairly well.