Which Mini Switches?

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

den58

Which Mini Switches?

Post by den58 »

Hi, I'm getting ready to order parts to build a D-lite. Do I need two SPDT on-on and one DPDT on-on-on? Is this right? Thanks for your time!
Dennis
brownnote

Re: Which Mini Switches?

Post by brownnote »

If you're building a stock D'Lite it calls for 2 SPST or SPDT one each for the PAB and Bright, and 1 DPDT for the OD.

I suggest getting 3 DPDT in case you want to try something different down the line like Deep, Jazz/Rock, switches etc.
Remember kids...Always adjust for minimum smoke!

D'Lite Kits: http://store.bnamp.com/dlitekits.html
den58

Post by den58 »

Thanks Brownnote! I appreciate your help! Just to clarify, is the DPDT an ON-ON-ON or an ON-ON Switch?
Thanks again,
Dennis
Structo

Post by Structo »

On/ on

Double throw.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
den58

Post by den58 »

Thanks Tom! I believe it was your D-lite sound clips that made me want to build a D-lite. I'm actually going to re-build an Allen Old Flame into a D-lite. I hope this is not out of my league, but I'm pretty sure I can do it.
Thanks again,
Dennis
Structo

Post by Structo »

Man, I see the need for a D amp but those Old Flame amps are pretty awesome.

You sure you want to mess that up?
Tom

den58

Post by den58 »

Well, now you're making me think again! Yes, the Old Flame does sound nice, but I have a Deluxe Reverb and Super Reverb and the Old Flame seems quite similar to my ears. Maybe I'll give the Old Flame another chance and see if I should start hunting for a chassis and tranformers for the D-lite. Decisions...
Thanks Tom,
Dennis
Structo

Post by Structo »

Or see if you can sell the Old Flame to finance the D'Lite. :D
Tom

den58

Post by den58 »

Since I built the Old Flame, I probably wouldn't get very much out of it when compared to the cost; it was a pretty expensive kit. So my thinking was, if I could turn it into the amp I had hoped the Old Flame would be, that would make the amp worth my time, effort and money. It's the great overdriven tones of the D-lite that are most appealing to me and what's missing in the Old Flame. So, now I'm talking myself into converting it again. If I can make the OF sound like the D-lites I've heard, I'm certain I would never look back.
Thanks for keeping me thinking, Tom :)
Dennis
wjdunham

Post by wjdunham »

Brown Note sells the trannies and chassis separately for the DLite, a good starting point in my opinion.
den58

Post by den58 »

Yes, I agree wjdumham, I think getting the trannies and chassis from Brown Note is a great starting point. I just have to do something with this Old Flame to make it worthwhile to me. Worst case scenario would be I re-build the Old Flame if I can't make it go as a D-lite. I've just ordered most of the parts I need from Mouser--ordering from Mouser, that's a thread unto itself! Thanks for your thoughts and I'll get photos up as I progress.
Dennis