Steel String Singer

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Guitar James

Re: Steel String Singer

Post by Guitar James »

Has anyone played through the TW Custom clean yet? Any good?
ElectronAvalanche

Post by ElectronAvalanche »

So if one wants to clone a Dumbleland or SSS to get SRV sounds I would stay away from using the schematics Electron has posted, that I suspect anyway as not beeing very trustworthy. As far as I know, Electron never met the "Pentode amp" in real life, but derived the preamp-schematic by own conclusions from some pictures he got from someone that show the boards. And a tech, who did service to this amp, once told that this posted schematic is wrong, after what he saw with his own eyes in the real amp. So I would be cautious in regard of this schematic (as with, as far as I know, many Dumble schematics you find in www).
Dear Max,

of course I never played the silver alligator in person amp (and never claimed so) and indeed derived the schematic simply by looking at some photocopied low quality scans of some pics. Can you elaborate a bit more what you mean by
that I suspect anyway as not beeing very trustworthy.
???

It seems like you are in the know about this amp, so do you have any serious input concerning the schematic?

BTW did you manage to sell the 150W then?

Thanks,

Electron
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'm guessing we have a language "barrier" here - that when Max wrote he regarded the schematics as "not trustworthy", he was saying that they were not accurate. And that since Electron cited his contribution as derived from fuzzy photos, we are all on the same page.

Are we good here?
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

Funkalicousgroove wrote:How is that possible? Live in Japan was recorded in 1979, LC didn't even get a SSS until about 1990(ish). I am certain it wasn't on live in osaka with Robben ford, LC hasn't had the SSS for almost 10 years now.
My BAT, WRONG DISC.. ITS..Late night in Tokyo recoded in 1987, that put him at borrowing Ej`s maybe for that show??

jp
ToneMerc

Re: re

Post by ToneMerc »

[/quote]

Hmmm. What I heard is that SRV ordered two SSS...I'm supposing the first one he got was #7. When it came time to ship the second one, HAD told SRV he owed him several thousand dollars in consultation costs for phone calls concerning the amps...at which point SRV told him to just keep the second amp (using similar but more colorful language). I wasn't personally there...that's just the story I heard.[/quote]

Wow, I was just going through this thread and ran across mention this story. The entire story/incident is even better and it involved more than a few thousand dollars. This little piece was really part one of a three part drama series..........anywho.

On another note IIRC in early 07' or late 06' I saw was represented as #2 on eBay. Supposely, it was #2 SSS, 150W, with tremolo and included all documentation. The BIN price was $75k.

T_M
groovtubin

Post by groovtubin »

ToneMerc wrote:
Hmmm. What I heard is that SRV ordered two SSS...I'm supposing the first one he got was #7. When it came time to ship the second one, HAD told SRV he owed him several thousand dollars in consultation costs for phone calls concerning the amps...at which point SRV told him to just keep the second amp (using similar but more colorful language). I wasn't personally there...that's just the story I heard.[/quote]

Wow, I was just going through this thread and ran across mention this story. The entire story/incident is even better and it involved more than a few thousand dollars. This little piece was really part one of a three part drama series..........anywho.

On another note IIRC in early 07' or late 06' I saw was represented as #2 on eBay. Supposely, it was #2 SSS, 150W, with tremolo and included all documentation. The BIN price was $75k.

And Brandon`s is just shy of $6K, what a DEAL!!

my pastor might get upset if i crank one like that! lol!

jim@Omegaamps

T_M[/quote]
tex milo

Post by tex milo »

Dave lindley's SSS is for sale on gbase
jujudubluz

Post by jujudubluz »

hey guys,

regarding the stepfilters, could those be close to what orange did on their "FAC" control in the OR120 and OR80...??? just wondering...

Juju
"less is more" mies van der rohe
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

groovtubin wrote:
ToneMerc wrote:
Hmmm. What I heard is that SRV ordered two SSS...I'm supposing the first one he got was #7. When it came time to ship the second one, HAD told SRV he owed him several thousand dollars in consultation costs for phone calls concerning the amps...at which point SRV told him to just keep the second amp (using similar but more colorful language). I wasn't personally there...that's just the story I heard.

And Brandon`s is just shy of $6K, what a DEAL!!

my pastor might get upset if i crank one like that! lol!

jim@Omegaamps

T_M[/quote][/quote]

LOL I think your Pastor would only mind for a minute, However, the folks in the first row of pews may never hear the same again! :P
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

So Lindley's SSS was a 100w, who else had/has a 100w model?
Funkalicousgroove

dr. who wrote:So Lindley's SSS was a 100w, who else had/has a 100w model?
The first 4 are 100W, so Henry Kaiser has 1 and 4, 3 is lindley's and 2 is the one John mayer has now. That amp used to live in Japan, no idea who was the original owner- maybe Christoper Cross or Randy California?

#5 is the one EJ used to own, and SRV's KTC amp was(is) #7 both are 150W
talbany

Post by talbany »

Funk
Do you know who owns EJ's old SSS Now?

Tony VVT
txbluesboy

Post by txbluesboy »

Can anyone tell me what the unmarked pot with the smaller knob to the right of the level control is?
Funkalicousgroove

Carlos Santana has EJ's old SSS these days, The unmarked knob is a presence control but originally it was a switch called "Mid accent" which puts a .001uf across the pot like a bright cap
talbany

Post by talbany »

Cool man Thanks!!

Tony