FET or Not

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Structo

Re: FET or Not

Post by Structo »

David Root wrote:I set my FET gain up high and easily get the violin tone in OD mode. In the normal jack you can set a crunchier or bluesier OD easily, so with the FET you have three different ODs.
Yeah, and to take that a step further, you could even have the FET input foot switchable so that you would have Clean, FET and OD channels to select from.
But then you may have level problems between the channels, but you could put a pot on the FET volume to control that.
Possibilities are endless! :D

Or just use a A/B switch on your guitar cable into the two inputs.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
Structo

Post by Structo »

Say what was the deal with biasing the JFET on this board?
Was it the 8K2 resistor that needs to be adjusted for the bias?

Anybody remember how that works or what the proper voltage is there?

The trimmer is for input gain right?
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
TheHandsomeOrk

Post by TheHandsomeOrk »

[quote="Structo"]Say what was the deal with biasing the JFET on this board?

I use a 10k trimmer in place of the 8K2 resistor to tweak. You'll know when it sounds right to your ears. You may like to try different trannys for fun but i think the NTE452 is still the golden one.
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

TheHandsomeOrk wrote: I use a 10k trimmer in place of the 8K2 resistor to tweak. You'll know when it sounds right to your ears. You may like to try different trannys for fun but i think the NTE452 is still the golden one.
Sorry, I'm kinda late to the table on this one. I absolutely love the FET input. I have several lower gain guitars and am able to use the FET input to compensate between higher and lower gain pickups. It does give a slightly glassier tone, but for me, it works very well. I used the 10k trimmer in place of the 8K2 and this works fine. I also used a socket for the FET and tried several different ones. If you don't want to shell out for the NTE452, I've found the 2N5486 from Central Semi to be excellent.
Some additional info:
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... t+shootout
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Change the input load resistor to 1-M instead of the stock 10-M. It will get along with most guitars better and add many of the things Max mentioned.
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

More useful as a stompbox, don't you think? ....like a Toneslut Perfomance Enhancer...

http://toneslut.com/blog/?page_id=118
FUCHSAUDIO

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Like most "innovations" Dumble, it was simply the Barcus Berry Piezo preamp verbatim, mounted into the amp. Convenient ? yes. Original ? No....

However: The guitar likes to see a given load to sound good. Usually this is around 1-M. I would go so far as to use a 10-Meg potentiometer in series with a 100-K resistor (as a variable resistor) and tweak the load to the optimum tone your particular guitar likes...I've done this with pot and cap values in guitars for years....there's an affect with every tweak. Old Hagstroms had a "mute" switch, not to actually mute, but more like a palm mute. It was a low value resistor plopped across the output of the pickup switch. I forget the value, but it worked !!
Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Structo wrote:Say what was the deal with biasing the JFET on this board?

The trimmer is for input gain right?
You can leave the 8k2 resistor as it is, and change the source resistor instead.
Measure the drain voltage on the 10k resistor, and the voltages on the 150k.
The drain should be 1/2 of the 150k voltages. And the source voltages 2,5-2,6 volt.
I use 4,7k-5,6k on the source. Seem to work fine.
I read around 12 volt on the 150k, 6,3 on the drain, and 2,6 on the source. The sound is similar to the normal channel, but you can set the level much higher on the trimmer to make the fet work like a clean boost, or to add more gain to the od channel. Pretty much like the PAB work. but then you can find the breakup spot on the fet, work with different resistors until you find the sound you like. You can add trimpots instad of resistors, and measure them when you have dialed in your sound. Then find the resistor closest to your measured ohm and solder them in where the trimpot was.
You can find different combinations that you like. Write them down, so you know what to put in there the next time you need a tweek, or in another build. There will be some differences between builds, cause the b+5 also change in from amp to amp.

Frank.
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

FUCHSAUDIO wrote:Like most "innovations" Dumble, it was simply the Barcus Berry Piezo preamp verbatim, mounted into the amp. Convenient ? yes. Original ? No....

However: The guitar likes to see a given load to sound good. Usually this is around 1-M. I would go so far as to use a 10-Meg potentiometer in series with a 100-K resistor (as a variable resistor) and tweak the load to the optimum tone your particular guitar likes...I've done this with pot and cap values in guitars for years....there's an affect with every tweak. Old Hagstroms had a "mute" switch, not to actually mute, but more like a palm mute. It was a low value resistor plopped across the output of the pickup switch. I forget the value, but it worked !!
That's a good tip. I've never been able to warm up to the standard FET input because of what the low input impedance does to my guitar. :D
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
Max

Post by Max »

odourboy wrote:I've never been able to warm up to the standard FET input because of what the low input impedance does to my guitar. :D
Hi odourboy,

I've attached a picture of the data sheet of the 4th generation Dumble ODS combo amps (source: http://www.roblivesey.com/dumble/).

Are you sure that the FET input is a "low impedance" input. In the data sheet I find 3.3M. Or do I mix up something?

Cheers,

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Max wrote:
odourboy wrote:I've never been able to warm up to the standard FET input because of what the low input impedance does to my guitar. :D
Hi odourboy,

I've attached a picture of the data sheet of the 4th generation Dumble ODS combo amps (source: http://www.roblivesey.com/dumble/).

Are you sure that the FET input is a "low impedance" input. In the data sheet I find 3.3M. Or do I mix up something?

Cheers,

Max
Mine is 3M3 also in all my 3 amps!

Frank
odourboy

Post by odourboy »

Max wrote:
Hi odourboy,

Cheers,

Max
A mistype Max, I meant high input impedance.
"Let's face it, the non HRMs are easier to play, there, I've said it." - Gil Ayan... AND HE"S IN GOOD COMPANY!

Black chassis' availble: http://cepedals.com/Dumble-Style-Chassis.html
jaysg

Post by jaysg »