A bit too much bass on OD - 2nd Gen Hybrid

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rogb

Re: A bit too much bass on OD - 2nd Gen Hybrid

Post by rogb »

Thanks guys, I just got around to getting this sorted finally. I've been spending most of my (many) hours trying to get a fuzz that works AND sounds good.Just a handful of components but so hard to get right, especially with germanium - a nightmare. I finally have a circuit based around the Mayer Axis Si and it does sound OK, at last!!!!!!
Right, the 2nd Gen, I took out the pot that was in there, 500KL and reverted back to the layout, 10k tail on 1mA pot, .02 and 2200pf as per the original.

I went through all my pots and found some PECs I bought a while back (forgot about them TBH) - one of which was 53k at noon compared to the 500K lin's 220k.
RESULT! MUCH more fine control of bass and it needs to get to noon and beyond before you are letting too much through! - so from 0-6 on the panel a suitable bass can be found.
Thank you all again for help and advice :D
bluesfendermanblues

Post by bluesfendermanblues »

rogb wrote:Thanks guys, I just got around to getting this sorted finally. I've been spending most of my (many) hours trying to get a fuzz that works AND sounds good.Just a handful of components but so hard to get right, especially with germanium - a nightmare. I finally have a circuit based around the Mayer Axis Si and it does sound OK, at last!!!!!!
Right, the 2nd Gen, I took out the pot that was in there, 500KL and reverted back to the layout, 10k tail on 1mA pot, .02 and 2200pf as per the original.

I went through all my pots and found some PECs I bought a while back (forgot about them TBH) - one of which was 53k at noon compared to the 500K lin's 220k.
RESULT! MUCH more fine control of bass and it needs to get to noon and beyond before you are letting too much through! - so from 0-6 on the panel a suitable bass can be found.
Thank you all again for help and advice :D
Great to hear!!

Those pot taper have a lot of impact on how easy it is to dial in a given amp. When I started building D-clones and read post on the forum regarding the importance of getting the right pots for teh various positions, I was sceptical at first. That is until I upgraded the input volume and treble pot to righteous CTS J-taper (35%) from Fender. The sweet spot range of the treble pot was kind of 'streetched', for lag of a better word, across a wider range and became much more workable.

Off course you can just dial the dammed things, but having the right taper makes life with these amps much easier.
Diva or not? - Respect for Mr. D's work....)
rogb

Post by rogb »

Well I had so much fun getting the bass right that I decided to change my other 1MA pots over for PECs and CTS....

No, that was a waste of an afternoon, the slow tapers meant I was getting round to 3 o clock before useful levels on the Volume, OD Level and Master, so out they came a selection of CTS where I could get at least 180K at noon went in, restoring a good output at noon with plenty of room either way.

That was a shame as I like those PECs, but they were really meant for my exTweedleDee now more 5E5 Pro alike with 6L6 and 35w OT. I hardly ever play it, the 100w 2nd Gen with Dlator does it all for me :D