Tan Music Man

Overdrive Special, Steel String Singer, Dumbleland, Odyssey, Winterland, etc. -
Members Only

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Charlie Wilson

Re: Tan Music Man

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Tony, the Music Man amp sounds great. I am curious, I think you have said in the past that you built a Musicman Low Plate Classic. If so, do you have any photos of your build we could have a look at?
CW
Mark

Post by Mark »

Agreed Charlie, Tony has done a great job wetting our appetite.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
talbany

Post by talbany »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:48 pm Tony, the Music Man amp sounds great. I am curious, I think you have said in the past that you built a Musicman Low Plate Classic. If so, do you have any photos of your build we could have a look at?
CW
Charlie your making me dig here :lol: So long ago I don't remember taking these but I found a couple.
The only ones I've built have been high plates. One is so old I had to build it in a Natch Chassis :evil: :lol: I think loaded it with JJ big bottle 6Ca7's
Music-man-dumble-2.jpg
ODS-006.jpg
Here is a clip of me with the amp attempting to sound like Jeff Beck :lol:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=9030530

Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by talbany on Thu May 31, 2018 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
" The psychics on my bench is the same as Dumble'"
talbany

Post by talbany »

Here is another 50w thrown together in a Hammond chassis 12x9- KT-77's again High Plate.Never really bonded with it so I sold it to the guitar player who plays with Alan Jacksons band..Lunch box Music man. :lol:
No clips of this one
MM800.jpg[/attachment[attachment=1]MM8002.jpg
Tony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

Post by Mark »

There is a reasonable amount of gain on the guitar in the Pump track.

It does sound very much like tone Beck used.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Charlie Wilson

Post by Charlie Wilson »

Thanks Tony. I was looking around on the pictures for some kind of large dropping resistor between the power tube plates and screens. Also, please tell me there isn’t 700v on the stand by switch. Like the Jeff Beck clip. Reminds me of the Porsche scene in Risky Business. :D
CW
Last edited by Charlie Wilson on Thu May 31, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:52 pm Thanks Tony. I was looking around on the pictures for some kind of large dropping resistor between the power tube plates and screens. Also, please tell me there isn’t 700v on the stand by switch.
CW
700v :D sounds like fun. I have 510-520vDC on my wonderland build , I thought that was a lot :D

M
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Tony,

Thanks for sharing the sound clip! Enjoyed both the playing and the tone. Nice amp!

With respect, 10thtx

I liked this one ALOT also ! (there is some silence right at start, but it's a great tune. Very tasty playing)

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/pla ... i&newref=1
talbany

Post by talbany »

Charlie Wilson wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:52 pm Thanks Tony. I was looking around on the pictures for some kind of large dropping resistor between the power tube plates and screens. Also, please tell me there isn’t 700v on the stand by switch. Like Jeff Beck clip. Reminds me of the Porsche scene in Risky Business. :D
CW
Musicman123.jpg
Charlie here is a schematic of the MM PS. You can Stby it in a number of ways. Dumble broke it off the cold side of the tap coming off the PT before the voltage doubler like on the schmo posted.So not much voltage on the switch
If I remember right those shots were taken as I was building it so there was very little info around on the MM Dumbles then (or whatever info I could coax out of Brandon or Scott :lol: )so I tapped the preamp supply off the screen supply which left the PI a little low IIRC. It was later I discovered he dropped it off the plates and the amp was modified correctly with the 40K 10W dropper w/ 820K to gnd resistor. :D

BTW. Me and my wife were dating we went to see Risky B in the theatre. When he fired up the Porche and Pump started I turned to my wife and said "That's Jeff Beck".She goes WHO?.. :roll: :lol:

Tony
Last edited by talbany on Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
talbany

Post by talbany »

talbany wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:35 pm
10thTx wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:47 pm Tony,

Thanks for sharing the sound clip! Enjoyed both the playing and the tone. Nice amp!

With respect, 10thtx

I liked this one ALOT also ! (there is some silence right at start, but it's a great tune. Very tasty playing)

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/pla ... i&newref=1
Thanks Jeff! :D
The KT amp was great fun "Big Sounding" It's a little weird going back and listening to these clips I did so long ago.
IMO it does not matter what I play HRM/Non HRM/BM I still sound like me? :?
Tony
talbany

Post by talbany »

Mark wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:11 am Tony, to my way of seeing things an Express clean sound isn't it forte, it's drive, harmonic content, ability to feedback and feedback into the harmonics is where it's strength lies. My limited experience tells me the Express clean tone sounds a lot better without the cold clipper stage and 0.0022uF cap to the clipper. I think the changes in the Komet were an attempt to get a bit more bredth from the amp. Of course it is all subjective as you say.
Mark
A good friend I grew up with here in DC we worked the same club circuits and playing in the same bands off and on he later worked with me at my amp company VVT. Bill was really good friends with Ken for a long time and has 3 of Ken's older TW amps, 2 Pools, and an Express. I got a chance to play them several times (way before they became famous). Bill would always tell me Ken's approach to those amps is to be able to use an amp without the need for OD boxes, that was too me what they were known for. I was always amazed at how well those amps worked with the gtr vol control going from nice chime-y cleans rolled back to release the hounds opened up. You couldn't get a Marshall to do that. So when I think of the clean tone of a wreck I think of it with the amp up and vol rolled back. However, those amps have no master vol so in order to get them where the vol control on the guitar to really work as intended those Expresses were pretty darn loud and in most cases too loud for any small club I was playing at the time.The Pools were a bit better but still too loud for me to get away with..I agree with you those amps had it going on opened up. :D

Tony
Mark

Post by Mark »

If I remember right those shots were taken as I was building it so there was very little info around on the MM Dumbles then (or whatever info I could coax out of Brandon or Scott :lol: )so I tapped the preamp supply off the screen supply which left the PI a little low IIRC. It was later I discovered he dropped it off the plates and the amp was modified correctly with the 40K 10W dropper w/ 82K to gnd resistor. :D
The diagram doesn't have a connection from one of the two 20K resistors to either the screens or the plate supply. Thus the unconnected end must connect to the plate supply with a 82K attached at the other end of the two 20K resistors to ground.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
talbany

Post by talbany »

Mark
Yeah!.I was just pointing out where the Stby was for Charlie..I don't know that anyone has yet to draw up an accurate MM PS for an ODS yet.If anyone wants to take a whack at it :D
MM Dropper.jpg
Last edited by talbany on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
talbany

Post by talbany »

BTW!
I think this just might be the Ultrasound Music man :shock:
Low plate Skyliner set up for 34's with correct mounting studs.
PreampII.jpg
Preamp.jpg
Tony
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

Tony,

I continue to appreciate both the wealth of information and your perspective as a builder and a player. Your contribution to this amp building community is invaluable. Thanks for your generousity in sharing!

With respect, 10thtx